“Nice place on the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mango Mar

You added Hotel Mango Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Mango Mar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   De la POPS en Jaco 100 mts | hacia el mar. Calle Cocal., Jaco 4023, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
“Nice place on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Hotel Mango Mar is located on the beach, hidden behind the casino. Our room is nice compared to the other places we checked out and roughly the same price. There is an AC, wifi (which barely reached our room, but very strong near the office), pool, and tv. The staff here was also very helpful to us. The receptionist allowed me to use their phone to call my last hotel, which was greatly appreciated. If you have a car. There is a nice gentleman pulling security duty throughout the night. Which made me feel safe about my vehicle. I am happy with my choice, and we have decided to stay here one more night. I would recommend this place to anyone not trying to spend more than $70 a night. It was worth every penny.

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is average regarding rooms, parking was terrible. It was located right on the beach however. The service for breakfast was very slow. We did have a little critter visit our room just a small crab that found its way in from the beach. The views are great if you get an upper level room.

Room Tip: If possible get a room facing the ocean up on a level you can actually see it. We were on the ground...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My friend & I had been very pleased with all of the places we had stayed throughout our Costa Rica trip until we arrived at Hotel (use that word extremely loosely) Mango Mar.

Not worth spending any money on this place. Awful, horrible, unsafe, fithy.

The hotel sits at the end of the road next door to a casino directly on the ocean. Although, you can't actually get to the ocean because it's locked / blocked off. I walked into a complete mess at the front desk. Very little organization & personal information written on large index cards filed at the top of the desk for anyone to walk off with (did not feel comfortable having my personal information unsecure like that).

After checking in, the front desk lady (who appeared to hate her life, lacking any friendlyness or enthusiasm) said, "wait here for 10 minutes." I asked her why & she said to just wait. I watched as she went to grab a cleaning bucket & supplies and proceeded to "clean" the room. The room picked out for us was right across from the reception office.

She came back handed me the remote controls & keys to the room. After getting our luggage from the car, we walked into our room, and was greeted by a very strange stench. The smell was so potent, it gave me a headache that lasted throughout the night & the next day.

The room was so bad we were moved to another room, which sadly was just as bad. We were so terrified the entire night. We shoved everything we possibly could into the teeny tiny safe. Despite trying to make it work & get through the night, we had to check out the next morning & book a new place to stay.

Allow me to outline the laundry list of reasons why you should not stay at this hotel:

1.) There was only a push button lock on the door & a the seam of the door was not secure from the outside world (completely unsafe)
2.) We found dried blood (yep, you read that accurately) on one of our towels
3.) The shower head has electrical wires coming out of (needless to say we opted to not shower in an attempt to avoid electrocution)
4.) The room was FILTHY & I mean filthy (walls, kitchen area, bathroom, everything...gross- in fact we took the comforters off the beds & used it as carpet b/c we were too creeped out to walk on the floor)
5.) There were dents & gashes all over the walls
6.) The sheets were damp & smelled of must
7.) There was no dresser, closet, or stand to put your luggage on
8.) There was a public restroom soap dispenser in the shower (guess that is used for face, body, & hair)
9.) The sink faucets had build-up all over them (they were disgusting). The kitchen faucet had a sponge that looked like it had been there since the hotel had opened
10.) The toilet paper dispenser is one most oftenly used in public restroom facilities. Oh, and there was rust on the top of it
11.) The back door was to an alley & there was only a very tiny lock on that
12.) Walls are paper thin (you can hear everything outside & down the street)
13.) Oddly enough, the ceiling is made of concrete, but it sounded as if the people above us were moving their furniture around for hours
14.) After we came back from dinner, we had a crab (yes, a CRAB, in our room) that we had to chase out. We put the dried bloody towel in front of the door to prevent any other critters from staying the night with us
15.) When checking out the next morning I had to beg & fight for a copy of my reciept of my day & confirmation of my checking out. She said that they don't give those out. In all of the places that I've stayed throughout the world, this was the first that didn't provide a final copy of the recipt to the customer. After making a phone call & speaking to her fellow employee in Spanish (pretty sure she was griping about me while I was standing right there, but I couldn't prove it because sadly I don't speak Spanish fluently), she was able to produce a reciept
16.) Breakfast was coffee, juice, 2 pieces of white toast, & a few slices of fruit
17.) There was no security on site & no secure parking for the car

To be fair, I should list the things that were nice about the hotel:

1.) There was a super nice refridgerator in the room
2.) The pool area was nice & the outside area was ok (which if you will notice are most of the pictures of the place)
3.) The TV was ok & it offered HBO

That's it. Do not stay here, it's not worth any amount of money.
The sad part...this place could be so cute & great with a some upgrades to the room, service, & experience.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before checking in. The photos & description of what I saw online did not m...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a cute hotel located in Jaco city center, right on the beach. The hotel is quiet, with a nice balcony great for reading and listening to the ocean. The breakfast was a lovely continental with toast, fresh fruit and coffee. What made my mother and I fall in love with the place...was its friendly staff. The lady in the office is a jack-of-all-trades, doing everything from renting rooms, serving breakfast, and cleaning. She was so pleasant that we left our hotel on Mal Pais to come bk and stay there again for another four nights and she gave us a very fair rate. I recommend just showing up and negotiating a cheaper rate in person. Beautifully quaint and enjoyable, and I highly recommend it. ;)

• Stayed July 2013
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Value for money, as to be one of the best places in Jaco to stay. The staff could not be any Better, or Friendly. Nice size rooms and the grounds are well kept, I was there for 12 days in May and shall be back again in August

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Mango Mar was our "home away from home" for 8 weeks this year. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there, the staff (like family), the location, accommodation and the cleanliness of our rooms and facilities. The rates offered to us as guests for many years was terrific! The Manager and owner were very accommodating to correct any concerns or issues. We will definitely return for a 9th time, bringing many friends and family!

Room Tip: All rooms are good; some with 2 double beds and some with 2 doubles and 1 single....also 2 2 bedroom...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is perfect location in Jaco, right on the beach and one minute walk to main drag. We didn't like Jaco the town itself but this is definitely the best place to stay in Jaco. The hotel we booked originally we left because it was in a bad location and felt unsafe, we got a cab to the beach and found mango mar. The lady at reception gave us a good rate and was very helpful. Everyone that was staying at the hotel were really nice too. The best value for a beach front hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mango Mar? Share your experiences!