“the world stops” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Olas Hotel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Las Olas Hotel & Restaurant
You added Las Olas Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Playa Hermosa de Jaco, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Denver, Colorado
“the world stops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend in February 2014. Neither of us surf -- but we loved it just the same. True, our room had no AC (I understand other rooms do), was separated from the office by a thin wall, had the worst mattress ever, and abutted a noisy kitchen at the restaurant next door. It was basic in the extreme.

But we didn't care. The food was great, the beach was beautiful, the owner wonderful, and the staff friendly without being annoyingly subservient. Overall, this is not the kind of place where we had any inclination to be worried about details. The world basically stopped for two days while we stayed at Las Olas. I have a feeling we'll be back.

Room Tip: If you need AC, be sure to ask if your room has it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I've stayed here several times and I cant wait to go back. My last stay in Feb. was one of my best. What makes this place so great? In my opinion, its Jason and Raffa. They are both great people who go out of there way to make sure that their guests have a great time. They will help you out with anything from zip line tours and hikes to what places to go to or stay away from. Also, if you surf they will provide you with local knowledge to ensure that you surf the best break in the area on any given swell. As a parting gift, Jason even took the shirt off his back to send me home with bc it was the last he had in my size. Thanks again for a great time guys...and the shirt! I'll be back sooner then later.

Room Tip: Make sure that when you visit to talk to Jason and Raffa if you need help with anything. They will...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I came here in January with 7 friends, about half of us surfers and the other half not surfers. January is right at the beginning of Costa Rica's dry season, and not only is it HOT, but it is HUMID! I stayed in the sky box at the main house and my friends occupied the two rooms below. Only one of the rooms had air conditioning, and the remainder of the house was wide open.

Pro - You are sleeping right in front of an awesome beach! Great surfing, but beware the hot black sand beach. When I say it's hot, I mean it's HOT! / Con - The waves are loud and will keep you up at night.

Pro - The rooms are open. Con- The rooms are open. Mosquitos will bite, and the geckos crawling up your ceiling make loud squeaky sounds that keep you up at night.

Pro - The food is GREAT. Hight quality food, at great prices (especially if you get the package through WaveHunters.) We had fruit smoothies with every meal, and they were delicious! Cons - Once they run out of a dish, they are out for at least the day. So if you like something, get it. I really appreciate how fresh their food was, so I'm not really complaining about this.

Overall, I'm giving this place a 2 out of 5 because it was just so damn dirty. We'd sweep up the termite poop just to see it again the next day. The bathroom smelled like pee and made me gag every morning when I brushed my teeth. Everything smelled of mildew (but I don't blame them, it's humid out there and nothing dries out completely).

The best part of this place is the people. Jason, Raf, and Nelson are awesome, and made Las Olas such a fun place to hang out. Those guys are super!!

Room Tip: There is 1 room at the main house with air conditioning.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

One of the best trips I have taken! Both Jason and Raffa were very professional and made us feel at home! If you like to surf and enjoy good food, I highly recommend Las Olas Hotel and Restaurant! Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I only had breakfast here when I stayed at Surf Inn Hermosa. The place has a very rustic look that fits very well into the kind of beach it is located on. A very different and relaxing location. I am not a surfer but I still enjoy this place as it's so relaxing to just sit back and enjoy watching the Surfers get adventurous. Love the black sand beach but I didn't dare go deep into the water as the waves are tricky and is known for rip-tides.

The breakfast I had here was my favorite meal during my entire Costa Rica trip. The banana pancakes and potatoes were the best I ever had. The pineapple juice was fresh made from pineapple in front of us.

Room Tip: Banana pancakes and potatoes.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were robbed in this hotel by hotel staff (the bar manager sneaked in our room when we were doing the check in). We reported the robbery to the police and notified hotel management about it ... they did nothing. They have no insurance, no cameras, etc. The police recommended us to stay there until they gathered more info. The rooms were awful. The window screens were broken and the shower/bathroom was dirty. We reported this hotel to the Instituto de Turismo de CR and an investigation is in the way. Definetely this place is a SCAM!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here in March/ April for 5 days and had a blast. The hotel itself is rudimentary, but the staff totally make up for the lack of amenities! Jason and Cameron (the owners/ managers) were super friendly and very accommodating. I broke my surf board the second day down there and they loaned me a board to use for the rest of my trip. The rooms are very basic with ceiling fans but no A/C. Be prepared for that. The weather is constantly around mid to upper 80's during the day so acclimating to the climate didn't take long. The rooms have safes in them and a small fridge and the bathrooms are useable, but not great.
The restaurant is great! Incredible views, especially at sunset, and the food is fresh, very reasonably priced and tastes great! The hotel is located on a great stretch of beach in the middle of all the action at Playa de Hermosa. The surf right behind the hotel is incredible and there is a surf contest every Saturday just 50 yards south of the hotel. The locals are all very helpful will translate (and teach!) Spanish at any time. I would highly recommend this hotel. The location and staff definitely made my vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms above the office. The rooms have a great view with a terrace that overlooks...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Las Olas Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!