“Great team, Incredible location, and a lot of fun” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Kangaroo
Calle Pastor Diaz (800 mt sur de la Municipalidad), Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #11 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
Chicago, Illinois
“Great team, Incredible location, and a lot of fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

It was my first time in Costa Rica and I booked the Kangaroo blindly just to have a room the week of New Years not really knowing what to expect. It turned out to be a hidden gem and one of my favorite places after traveling 3 weeks in Costa Rica. Its a simple place with 7 or so rooms it is very clean and it has a really nice pool in the back. The beach is literally only a block away you are slightly south of el centro (downtown) but its a less crowded and less rocky side of the beach. Downtown is about a 20min walk or literally only a 2 dollar cab ride. The Kangaroo is a good value and a good location but what really made it for me was the team. Francesca, Evan, Bryan and Jordan are some of the nicest and most hospitable people that i have ever met. Their knowledge of Costa Rica is endless and they answered all my questions and then some. They really go out of their way to make sure that you are enjoying your stay and that all your needs are being met. There was an optional New Years dinner which me and my friends took part in the food was incredible and i felt like i was sitting with family it was really great. I travelled through Costa Rica for 3 weeks and had no plans of returning to Jaco, however after seeing many places some great and others not so great i realiized how rare a place like the Kangaroo really is, and I returned for my last 3 nights again there. Overall if you are looking for a great value hotel with a really chill vibe and great people this is your place, ill never go anywhere else, Pura Vida!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here about a year ago with 3 friends and we shared a 4-person dorm. The accommodations were very basic and the rooms were hot, but it was nice to have a pool and the outside shower. A less crowded part of the beach is a short walk from the hostel, so we got to experience a beautiful sunset without many other tourists around. I don't love Jaco, but if I went back I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My friend booked this place online for 4 of us!! It really is like being a guests at someone's house!! Don't expect the ritz - but this is truly one of the most memorable places I have ever stayed!! Francesca the owner is amazing her team Jordan, Brian and Evan are also fabulous!! Best night in ever just sat around a table with the staff and other guests chewing each others ears off!!! Love love love it!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Roosendaal, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

For christmas we had already booked something else, but we decided to come a day early to Jaco, and came to Kangaroo. Perfect choice! It is very close to the beach, and a nice beachwalk into town. The people are very friendly, and the pool is nice and refreshing!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was on the road to Manuel Antonio and decided to stop in Jaco for the night. After driving through the seedy/touristy downtown, I proceeded all the way almost back to the highway before I saw the Kangaroo Hotel. I pulled in and was immediately welcomed in by Francesca. I ended up taking a private room which was basic but comfortable and very reasonable. The room was clean and the hot water was HOT in the en suite bathroom. Her associate Brian took me and other guests out for the night and we had a blast on a Tuesday. The pool is open 24/7 as is the kitchen and the outdoor living room. It really felt like a home away from home and was an amazing random find. It's a little ways outside of town, but that's a BENEFIT since it's much quieter than being in the middle. Plus it's only a $1-2 cab ride into town. Also got to enjoy a morning yoga class on the terrace with Gita which was perfect and really relaxing. Kangaroo is also a 5 minute walk from the beach as well...so the surf is right there. Totally enjoyed my time there and will definitely go back next time I'm in Jaco.

Room Tip: You don't need the A/C...the fans are powerful and kept me super comfy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Really chilled out place away from the craziness of town but close to the beach. Lots of gorgeous pets and a big chillout area with a pool and big kitchen. Francesca went out of her way to make our stay comfortable and fun and even cooked me a birthday dinner. Thanks everyone at Hotel Kangaroo you won't be forgotten!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Banff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Planned on staying for only 2 nights. Ended up staying for 4. Really helpful staff, Helped me out with some problems I had when I got there which really made me want to stay there over other places in Jaco. Bryan showed me the nightlife and Francesca was an amazing host. I will definitely be coming back! Good prices, and an awesome little soda just down the street that kept me coming back for more. You have to stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo