“Awesome Place to stay. Great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kangaroo

Banff
“Awesome Place to stay. Great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Planned on staying for only 2 nights. Ended up staying for 4. Really helpful staff, Helped me out with some problems I had when I got there which really made me want to stay there over other places in Jaco. Bryan showed me the nightlife and Francesca was an amazing host. I will definitely be coming back! Good prices, and an awesome little soda just down the street that kept me coming back for more. You have to stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We had so much fun at this hostel. Originally we were only due to stay in jaco for one night, but ended up having so much fun at the hostel we stayed for 5 nights. And even then it was hard to leave. The staff is incredible and Francessca will go out of her way for you. There is a real family vibe, everyone hanging out in the brilliant communal area, playing cards, talking, drinking etc.

• Stayed October 2012
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Some of the rooms are in need of a real makeover, but the communal areas are lovely with a quirky but very tasteful feel. The pool is great, location perfect - a short taxi ride from the town centre and the best thing about this place is the lovely owner, Francesca. She bent over backwards to help us while we were there and we really enjoyed our two communal dining evenings with her, her staff and some other guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
South Lake Tahoe, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was the first hostel we stayed at in Costa Rica. It was so cool because it has a pool and there were some other friendly people staying there as well! We got in a cab soon after our arrival and went partying in Jaco. I recommend staying here for sure! The rooms fit two people comfortably with nice little bathrooms. Have Fun!! It is hard not to enjoy yourself here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

What can I say? A diamond in the rough! I was planning on staying 2 nights and moving on, but stayed 5. there aren't enough stars on this page to properly rate "The Roo".Most of the staff there made it a great stay. For starters, we were greeted at the gate, without a reservation, by Evan, who promptly gave us a room with a/c. The hot shower was the deal closer. Great guy, professional demeanor and an awesome host. Brian, the activity director, gave us the grand tour of the hotel, as well as Jaco Beach and all its attractions and restaurants. I think we wore him out. Maria, what can I say, my mother never made my old clothes look new again like she did. Gracias, Maria! And Walter...what can I say? Walter, Walter, Walter. The surf/dance instructor. Ladies beware! Travel in pairs. Last but not least, CHARLIE!!!!! Coolest dog on the planet! I would have taken him home I could have. What a great place to relax and meet new friends. The laid back, communal lifestyle at the kangaroo what not what I expected, but has now set the bar for all my future excursions. Thank you Hotel Kangaroo staff for an unforgettably fun trip!

Room Tip: rooms away from the road are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Milan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed 4 days in Jaco last July. Hotel Kangaroo is THE place to stay: all the staff is so nice and helpful, the place is quite and clean, the position is good, we had a car but you can take the free bikes if needed.
At first we had a room with NO a/c, we complained about this and immediately we were moved to a A/C room as it was available.
The only "bad point" is the price; 40 USD without breakfast is quite high in comparison to other places in costa Rica, where you can get the same for 30 USD.
But Jaco is all a little bit overprice, so it's ok.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I read all the reviews before booking and renting a private room at Hotel Kangaroo. Via the images and some travelers opinions - I wasn't that hopeful, but much to my surprise the artsy little hostel was perfect for us! Clean room with character. Clean private bathroom - with REAL HOT WATER! Huge PLUS. Clean - and inviting kitchen. Friendly little dog, Charlie, was a pure delight and made us feel right at home. Evan is a down-to-earth host - friendly and he made us feel extremely welcome. The place is quiet...(low season). Most reviewers complained about the roosters across the street. I couldn't hear them with the door closed - and they certainly didn't wake me up. Would I stay here again? Hell, YES!

THANK YOU!

Room Tip: We had a room in the back on the top level - perfect and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kangaroo? Share your experiences!