“A perfect getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saladero Eco Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Golfito
Saladero Eco Lodge
You added Saladero Eco Lodge to your Saves list
Rio Esquinas | Golfito, Costa Rica, Golfito 6000, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“A perfect getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at Saladero Lodge for 6 nights, first week of September 2012. Saladero Lodge is unique in many ways: It's secluded, perfect for those who want to get away from everything or everyone. It's right in the rain forest, great opportunity for hikers, bird watchers or nature lovers in general. It's by the beach, of Gulf of Dulce, perfect for kayaking and fishing. But most of all, it's unique because you get to meet Susan and Harvey.

Costa Rica was the country for me to get away from everything and rethink my life. This was my first trip to Costa Rica, but more importantly, it was my first solo trip to another country. I didn't know what to expect before taking the trip but I was hoping it would go well.

It went much better than I had hoped.

I was the only guest. Upon my arrival, Susan and Harvey offered me to stay at the Beach House, even though I booked the Tree House, free of extra charge. The beds were very comfortable and it was such an experience to stay at the Beach House, hearing the ocean, the birds and of course the Howler Monkeys.

Food was outstanding. I had fruits collected from trees in the property, fish caught right from the gulf and I drank lemonade made from plants grown there. Susan and Harvey are great cooks and everything they prepared was delicious. I will never forget the conversations we had and the hope they gave me.

Staying at Saladero Lodge was one of the best, if not the best, decisions of my life. Staying there, spending time with Susan and Harvey, hiking with the dogs, fishing, kayaking, eating the most delicious food, all of it simply helped me rediscover myself. Each day that passes by makes me realize how much I needed this trip. I couldn't have picked a better place than Saladero Lodge.

Future traveler: I don't know if you're going to travel solo, or with special someone or with family but I can tell you this much. Staying at Saladero Lodge will be the highlight of your trip. It's a great location for solo travelers like me, or couples or families.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but Beach House is the best. Best sleep of recent years.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lismore, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at Saladero Lodge for 2 weeks in 2011 - & it was the BEST destination on my trip around Central & South America. The place, the people, & the diversity of experiences on offer made for such a special stay, that I'm coming back this year.
If you value the little touches, affordability, amazing scenery - wildlife, flora & pristine ecosystems - make sure you choose Saladero Lodge. Thanks again to Susan & Harvey...It was a pleasure to meet you and can't wait to see you both again! (47 sleeps to go!)

Room Tip: There were different options for different kinds of travellers.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Visited Saladero lodge in June 2012 and it was spectacular. I travelled alone and was looking for a relaxing retreat to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and found a peaceful retreat with wonderful people and a fantastic reason to put away the blackberry and just take it easy.

While the scenery (more about that later) was spectacular, the visit was made perfect by my hosts, Susan and Harvey who did everything they could to ensure that the trip was pleasant, comfortable and fun. They put in a huge amount of hard work, ensuring that everything worked well, from the fresh fruit and waffles at breakfast, the organised trips throughout the day, through to the wonderful food in the evening and delightful conversation through the evening.

Whenever I needed company they were there to chat, joke or simply be there, when I wanted quiet time alone there was always an opportunity to take a fishing rod and wander along the beach, walk the trails through the jungle, or simply pick up a kayak and paddle off into the gulf.

The gulf itself is a calm and peaceful stretch of water, with reefs to snorkel around, mangroves to kayak through (don't miss out on the mangrove tour), fish to catch (and eat!). We were lucky enough to have a family of dolphins join us while we kayaked and saw whales from the boat - a fantastic experience.

For those that love wildlife they have scarlet macaws, monkeys, crabs, lizards and dozens of varieties of birds at the lodge on a daily basis. Waking up to the sunrise, with sound of the jungle becomes a peaceful way of life with the chirp of the birds and the calls of the monkeys as your natural alarm clock.

Costa Rica is an amazing place to visit for anyone looking for nature, trekking, or simply a getaway that's really away from it all. A place where you can leave the rest of the world behind you and no trip to Costa Rica would be complete without a stay at Saladero Lodge.

Room Tip: The tree house would be fantastic for couples, the beach house for families.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have visited Saladero Lodge with my friend in Mai 2012. It is a hidden paradise! You can reach it only with a boat. Sardero Lodge offers different types of accomodation so you can choose according to your budget or preferencies. The owners are very friendly and make you feel like home or visitng your best friends! The meals are mostly made from ingredients directly from the property, all food is organic and very tasty! The view from the dining room is incredible. Overlooking the palm trees, the beach and the sea. Saladero Lodge offers different activities. We tryed kayaking and it was an unforgettable experience! We took as well a survival course and we had a lot of fun. This place is perfect for people who want to escape from a bussy life, stay in a beautiful nature and keep a good standard of accomodation. There are many photos of the property in facebook. I loved it and looking forward to come back again!

Room Tip: Tree house is an unforgettable and romantic experience!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Placerville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Margaret and I ended a 21-day trip to Costa Rica in May 2012 with a week stay at Saladero Lodge. It was our first time to Costa Rica so we went to Arenal, Monte Verde, Manuel Antonio and then South to Saladero near Golfito. Next time it will be Saladero and maybe Corcovado across the Golfo Dolce from Saladero. Saladero is remote and accessed only by boat. There are no roads and the property has ½ mile of beach and acres of untouched forest/jungle. It has an extensive variety of plants which (along with chicken, pork and eggs from local families and fish from the gulf) provide the majority of the food. Extensive information relating to Saladero can be found at http://www.saladerolodge.com/ and http://ecoclub.com/ecotourism/rating/saladero.

Staying at Saladero was like visiting family. Harvey, Susan and Paulina (who did most of the cooking) are great people. Harvey and Susan shared their extensive knowledge of Costa Rica and other countries where they have lived. Paulina is a likeable, friendly person but our lack of Spanish limited discussions with her. For five of the seven days, we were the only guests. Meals were family-style and the food was great. Each morning was greeted by the sounds of howler monkeys. You knew you were at the edge of a true forest/jungle.

We stayed in the beach house, which is constructed out of local hardwoods is large and comfortable, and is fully screened (as opposed to netting over the beds). We kayaked; swam; snorkeled; toured the local mangrove river (crocodile included); fished from kayaks and from shore; watched the birds (macaws, toucans etc); listened to the howler monkeys (these are in a primary forest and don’t come around people as they do in populated resort areas); saw dolphins, sea turtles, locals paddling canoes to work; were given a tour of the developed part of the property by Harvey and Susan; and relaxed.

There were few, if any, mosquitoes (important from the potential diseases they can carry). Jungles do come with bugs and biting bugs were represented by ants, black flies, and no-see-ums, but not in great numbers. Afternoon rains and lightning storms provided cooling and entertainment.

We will definitely include Saladero in future visits to Costa Rica. It was much like having a remote island resort all to yourselves.

Ron Williams and Margaret Charzan

Room Tip: Read descriptions of types of accommodations and choose what best suits you. Each is good in its own...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Petaluma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Away from the hubbub of humanity, immersed in the ribbit of nature.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Wow, what an awesome place! My 12-yr old son Zander is already talking about going back as soon as possible! Harvey and Susan are wonderful, and were really attentive, making our stay very enjoyable. Great food, and great companionship with Harvey, Susan, and the other guests. Kayaking and snorkeling were great, and had a great morning of fishing with Harvey. Two of the cabinas have indoor showers. There is also an outdoor shower (totally private) which was great, but bring some shower shoes or flip flops if you have tender feet like me (gravel floor). Learned how to properly shuck a coconut, which came in handy when we kayaked to the lagoon with the coral reef. Amazing juices and coffee! The 4 days we spent at Saladero were the highlight of our 10 day trip.

Room Tip: The tree house is very private, but make sure you have strong legs for the climb!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Saladero Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!