We were warmly greeted at the San Jose Pavas airport by Felipe who happened to also be on our flight to Puerto Jiminez after attending a trade show in San Jose and escorted us along with Manuel, the bar tender, to the panga for our quick boat excursion across the Golfo Dulce bay to the Playa Nicuesa Lodge. Just as if on cue, 5 scarlet maccaws flew across the dock landing in the trees nearby, with their screaching welcome, and this became their daily hangout. Stepping off the dock, and walking through the beautiful flowered pathways winding up to the lodge, Manuel had tropical drinks in hand for us and we joined the current guests to a fabulous fresh lunch that included fresh coconut chunks and homemade chocolate from cocoa grown on the property! All meals and juices were fresh and tasty, prepared and baked from scratch with wonderful flavorful spices! And Manuel makes an awesome Pineapple coconut drink with chunks of fresh coconut!! I even suggested a Nicuesa Lodge Cookbook because I'd love to try to make ALL of these at home (the ginger cookies were to die for)!! I'm not much of a fish eater, but they prepared a fresh mahi mahi and set it in front of me one night for dinner, rather than asking for something else, I tried a bite, loved it and quickly ate the whole thing! It was fabulous, not fishy tasting at all! Later on, Felipe confided he had chicken ready for me if I had wanted it instead of the fish, but he had a hunch I would enjoy it and he was so right!!! Felipe and all the staff made sure that we felt welcome and our needs and activities were addressed. Activities were plentiful, hiking, kayaking, swimming, fishing off the dock (we caught several snapper and trigger fish), yoga was available, and the sustainment tour (we even planted 2 trees!) or just relaxing in the hammocks and the swing chairs. Listening to the rain, the waves and the howler monkeys every day added to the enjoyment from our cabin (a must stay if you are not afraid of bugs!) and the open air shower, which was better than any camping trip! This place is a way to unwind, relax and have fun...It was the start of our 2 week trip to Costa Rica for my son's wedding and it couldn't have been a better introduction! Thank you to all the staff for making us feel welcome and taking such good care of us during our stay at the Nicuesa Lodge! We will return again! Thank you Donna and Michael for sharing your vision and dream of the Nicuesa Lodge...we thoroughly loved it!
- Also Known As:
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Hotel
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Nicuesa is an environmentally sensitive lodge set on a 165-acre private preserve in the undeveloped Pacific Coast of Southern Costa Rica. It's jungle & sea location provides a unique multisport vacation: the front yard is a gulf right off the Pacific Ocean, and the back yard consists of thousands of acres of pristine tropical rainforest. Overall, the experience embraces conservation and harmony with the natural environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Venere, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.