We stayed at the end of December in 2007 and had a wonderful time. Marie and Michael made our trip very special and really made us feel welcome.
There's no doubt about it, that the Lodge is beautiful and remote. It would appeal to a certain type of traveller, one that doesn't mind being cut off from the world (it takes 30 mins to get to the nearest town by boat), who obviously loves nature and doesn't mind bugs and the fact that animals can and do easily get in your room (this aspect freaked me out on our first night, but you get used to it).
We did a river kayak tour, dawn walk, visited the animal sanctuary, yoga and many self guided walks.
One aspect to bare in mind, is how you get there. We had booked to fly with Sensa from San Jose, but due to the poor weather in Golfito they turned round and went back to San Jose. Due to this we lost one day at the lodge. Sensa planes only have one engine. I would HIGHLY recommend using Nature Air instead as they can land and take off in the rain. In the end we flew to Puerto Jimenez and the lodge arranged for a boat to pick us up. We had a number of other issues with Sensa (including a pilot falling asleep), so really strongly wouldn't recommend them. Nature Air were totally fab and ensured we made our international connection out of San Jose.
Back to the lodge, totally wonderful, sleeping does take some getting used to, as does the humidity, but would recommend it to anyone - in fact i'm sending my folks next year.
The staff were wonderful and i know my husband and I certainly see this as one of the great highlights of our trip
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Nicuesa is an environmentally-friendly eco-lodge set on a 165-acre private rainforest preserve on the undeveloped Pacific Coast of Golfo Dulce in southern Costa Rica. Our jungle & sea location provides a unique adventure and nature vacation: the front yard is a gulf right off the Pacific Ocean, and the backyard consists of thousands of acres of pristine tropical rainforest. Overall, the experience embraces conservation and harmony with the natural environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito