“Rafiki gives you all the best of what Costa Rica is!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafiki Safari Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Province of Puntarenas
Rafiki Safari Lodge
2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   16 Km from Pacific Coastal highway, Rio Savegre, Costa Rica   |
key west
“Rafiki gives you all the best of what Costa Rica is!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

My partner and I and our 14 year old nephew, as well as frinds of ours just got back from a fantastic weekend at Rafiki.
This was not our first trip, and will surely not be our last.
We have been coming to Costa Rica for more then 15 years, and anytime that I feel like I need a real shot of Costa Rica adventure, hospitality and peacefulness, then Rafiki is our choice.
We also have property in Manuel Antonio, near by, which has beauty, good food and service, but I have to say that it comes together in a much more special way at the lodge.
It feels like we're home, but a home where we get taken care of exceptionally well.
Don't miss this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stopped at Rafiki along our overland expedition through Central America, so we had the chance to drive our own vehicles into the lodge. The drive in started the adventure, and it was a beautiful dirt road through the hills. The location of the lodge is idealic, nestled in a river valley and surrounded with lush jungle. The slide was SO FUN, and the river trips and nature walks were all exceptional. A wonderful adventure.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I had the pleasure of spending two (2) nights with my children (ages 15 and 8) with the Boshoff family at the Rafiki Lodge. This place is paradise. The Boshoff family did everything possible to make our stay both enjoyable and safe. The food was superb and the accomidations were like a luxury hotel in the middle of the jungle. I can't wait to go back. My daughter fell in love with their Westie dog named "Howard."

Ralph, Maria, Michael, and Gianna - Chicago, Illinois

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We were all excited about our trip to Costa Rica but even more so about our trip to Rafiki. Could the previous Trip Advisor reviews truly be that favorable? Can Rafiki be as beautiful in person as the website photos show? Well the short answer is a resounding yes! If you want a true rain forest experience with the luxuries of home, this is your place. I can't think of any group of people that would not love this place. It is far enough away for total isolation but under an hour from the Quepos airport. Kids will love this place, there is never a dull moment even without TV, texting and video games. Hiking, swimming and the fastest water slide in the world will keep them busy for hours/days which is perfect for the parents also. My wife and I were able to relax and do what we wanted to do (or do nothing-that is the beauty of this setting). There is nothing to do but rest as all meals are prepared for you, activities planned per your schedule and drinks available whenever the mood strikes. While all this sounds like nirvana, it is, however the BEST part is the staff. Lautjie, Mauren and staff go out of their way to make you feel a part of the family. I never heard the word "no" our entire trip. "May I help you" and "con mucho gusto" were the phrases of the week. You can tell everyone appreciates the specialness of the setting as they all get along like a happy family. Rafael and Kenneth make the main lodge area feel like your living room. Randall and Mechos are masters at providing a safe yet exhilarating experience on the river. You can tell they love their job. They both go out of their way to give you a great adventure and learning experience about the area. Everyone employed at Rafiki is a local native and they have so much to offer in the way of expanding your understanding of pura vida! My highest recommendation is that we were planning our return trip before we left our FIRST trip. If you have a chance to visit this special place, don't hesitate, you will be as pleased as our family was. If you are lucky, you will also get to meet Lautjie's parents, Constant and Ralene. I miss them already.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We found this place and used trip advisor as a reference and yes it is truly a gem in the forest. It is upscale camping with amazing sounds and you don;t need an alarm clock. We went for the three day deal. The hike was informative and great, rafting (minus water due to dry season) was still great way to enjoy and fantastic lunch:). Lautjie and Maureen and staff were geat hosts. Finally the water slide is fabulous and FAST, as my husband can testify to that as he is injured himself on our last day and is now attending PT!! and also a word of warning to women don't wear a bikini going down the slide....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

My first experience with Rafiki Lodge occurred while I was on a trip with firends in April. We were staying at a phenomenal hotel in Manuel Antonio and were planning to head to Uvita. After browsing the internet, we came accross Rafiki and our interest was immediately peaked. We wanted adventure, yet the idea of staying in a luxury tent was quite appealing to us Orange County girls. We decided to call the hotel at 11pm at night and had the pleasure of speaking with Constant. He was so charming, warm and welcoming, we cancelled our plans to Uvita and took the chance on Rafiki. This was one of the wisest choices, I've made in Costa Rica thus far!

We drove out to the hotel and it was as if we went back to an African Safari Lodge set in Costa Rica. Amazing! From the moment we arrived we until the moment we left, we felt like family. Not to mention, the personal service we received from the staff. In our opinion, it is a small, intimate hotel set to exceed the expectations of its clientelle. Boy did they!
The hotel is run by Laujkie, Constant and Ralene's son and his wife Mauren who provide the utmost of customer service and truly make you feel like you are one of the family. Giovanni, the cook, even took the time to teach me how to make a few dishes that I fell in love with while I was there. The food is exquisite. We had the pleasure to meet both Constant and Ralene, who made a day trip to the hotel and were even more charming in person than on the phone.

We went on the river rafting tour, with experienced and knowledgeable guides who definitely were passionate about life and the area in which they live. We had an amazing time! As I have visited Costa Rica on many occasions, this was one of the highlights of our trip. Not to mention, the best tour I have been on in Costa Rica.

In May, I returned to Costa Rica with my boys, 14 and 8, as well as my brother and friends. Unfortunately, we were not able to stay at Rafiki yet I arranged a day trip from Manuel Antonio so that my boys and family could experience Rafiki, its ambiance and river rafting. They had the time of their lives! I was the coolest mom! Once again, the guides were phenomenal and it was perfectly safe for my boys. Thanks to Juan Carlos, Meches, and Chucky, our guides once again, who took care of my boys while creating a memorable river rafting adventure. Luckily we ran into Ralene and Constant, who fed my boys with great food and left them with an experience they will remember for a life time.
I look forward to returning in June, with my husband this time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Rafiki is just paradise. I almost hate to write about it and let the word out. I was nervous about going to Rafiki, as I am a Four Seasons hotel kind of girl! But, this place is an experience. I felt like I was on "Survivor"--in a good way. The road to get there (get a driver!) is a dirt road that you are on for over an hour and a half. The drive is great, though. There are little villages along the dirt road; it is just too amazing. When you arrive, you are in the jungle. It's just amazing. The tent cabins are perched in the trees, and while I would not describe them as luxurious (as did the other reviewers), they are very comfortable. It is true that the bugs and critters stay out! The decks are amazing. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom is lovely. The toucans are flying by your deck in the afternoons, the jungle noises at dusk are an experience I will never forget. The tiny pool is lovely, the water slide is an adventure (my teenagers and husband had a blast!); the restaurant is lovely, the food is delicious, three meals included. The fresh juices (star fruit, melon) incredible. We went river rafting, it was the dry season, perfect for a wimp like me. Little rapids, the water was perfect swimming temperature, the guides were professional and sweet and warm, not to mention cute! I felt very safe, and the guides really knew the river. The lunch they served on the river was so nice--they set the table with beautiful flowers, elegant plates, it was just a treat! We hiked to a waterfall and even I jumped off into the beautiful pool. The guides love to share the local plants, including cinnamon, vanilla and allspice. I went with my two teenage boys, and my husband, and we will all remember Rafiki for the rest of our lives. Don't miss this truly hidden gem.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Rafiki Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!