“Amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rafiki Safari Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Province of Puntarenas
Rafiki Safari Lodge
You added Rafiki Safari Lodge to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   16 Km from Pacific Coastal highway, Rio Savegre, Costa Rica   |
Tarpon Springs, Florida
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Very cool accommodations. The real Costa Rica. Water slide is a hoot. Great hospitality and amazing views. You can easily spend 3-4 days here. The food was great and the number of activities that are available are great.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
warby007
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Well as a family Rafiki Safari Lodge lived up to our excitement and expectations. The surroundings were wonderful and the hospitality and food were excellent. We stayed in Tent 1 which I would highly recommend with a view over the water to dream about. We stayed for 2 nights. The first day we all went white water rafting, my daughter and I rode to the set off location by horse my wife and son got there by truck. The whole event lasted over 6 hours with lunch at a halfway house. The second day we all went on the Aqua hike which again was a wonderful experience. Would Highly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: Tent Number 1
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This review is very late in coming...we stayed there 18 months ago and I had always intended to write a review, I just never got around to it. I came across our pictures from our trip today and decide to take a moment to write a review. We visited with another couple, it was our 2nd vacation trip to CR but my husband's 100+ trip to CR as he has traveled to San Jose monthly for work for the last 15+ years.

If the descriptions and reviews of Rafiki Lodge have you intrigued, just go, you won't be disappointed! I came across a website for the Rafiki Lodge 4 years ago while planning our first family trip to CR. We ended up going to the northern area of CR so we did not stay there, but I kept thinking about it. Two years later we went for a week with another couple and headed to southern CR and I jumped at the chance to spend 3 nights at Rafiki lodge. We LOVED it! I plan to bring the kids back one day.

A safari tent in the jungle with a full plumbing, modern bathroom, a deck overlooking the gorgeous view, monkeys and iguanas in the trees, a cool pool with a killer waterslide....what more can you ask for in an adventurous, but not primitive, Costa Rican adventure! The owners are incredible. They made our stay amazing. The food was great, we enjoyed the white water rafting even though it was the dry season and the river level was low. He even helped (did all the work actually) change a flat tire on our 4 WD rental.

I would highly suggest the rafting. The guides were very experienced and took our safety very seriously. We enjoyed a wonderful picnic lunch at a stopping place that had real bathrooms which was wonderful! We also did the horseback ride to the river...I have ridden horses quite a bit and if you have experience riding, I would skip it. The ride was just along the road to the river, not through the jungle. I literally had an old grey mare who was very skinny and I was afraid she was going to keel over any second. She proved to be quite spunky though and instead of trotting for a bit with the group, she hightailed it and ran full speed down the road. I had her under control and slowed her down and it was a fun ride for me, but the horse guys didn't understand that I had riding experience and they couldn't understand much English when I tried to explain I was fine, so they made me ride tethered to the guide's horse for the rest of the ride...my husband and friends found it hilarious. I was a bit humiliated, but it ended up being a funny memory and the old grey mare ended up being the spunkiest of the bunch!

I could go on about our fantastic stay at Rafiki Lodge, but instead I highly suggest you go and experience it for yourself. And while you're there, ask about their secret recipe for liquid salt...

Room Tip: Ask for a tent that overlooks the valley.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Elkhorn, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had so much fun! Our family of 4 stayed for 3 nights. The views are spectacular. We met families from 3 other countries. The food was all made from scratch and delicious, but you don't have many options (although I am certain they would try to accommodate you if you were super picky). The staff was super friendly and great to talk to either about things to do or teaching us some basic Spanish. Very family friendly (our boys loved playing with the owner's 4 year old!), but also would have been fun for adults traveling without kids looking for a little more adventure. Our 8 year old boys probably would have been happy if they had done nothing other than the water slide (it is fast and fun!). The guide for our white water rafting trip (day 2) and aqua hike (day 3) was awesome and we had a blast while learning about the country. As a mom NOT into camping, sleeping in these tents allowed us to be "close to nature", but still have a plumbing and electricity! Perfect! We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Views of the lake with the first 2 tents are awesome!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I are quite the adventurists at times. We stayed off site in Manuel Antonio; the Rafiki Safari Lodge Whitewater Rafting Experience was so much fun!!! All of the guides are incredibly educated about the surroundings and very professional. We enjoyed the horseback riding to the white water rafting. Our guide even stopped so that we could see one of the local waterfalls. It was absolutely beautiful! This is definitely worth the long trip down the unpaved road (Costa Rican Massage). My husband even tried the water slide at the lodge - only for the brave of heart - and he loved it! As our guide would say, the entire experience is the epitome of "Pura Vida!"

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I absolutely loved Rafiki Safari Lodge. I can't imagine ever returning to Costa Rica without a stay at Rafiki. The accommodations were clean and comfortable, and the sheer beauty of the place more than compensated for any compromise in opulence. We loved the feeling of being out in nature, listening to the intense rainstorms while sitting on our protected porch, overlooking the beautiful Savegre Valley. The staff was great and the food delicious. We participated in two activities, rafting and horseback riding, both of which were fun and educational. Our horseback ride was led by one of the owners, a biologist by training and very knowledgeable about Costa Rica and the Savegre Valley where they are located.
Rafiki felt like going back in time a bit. To a time before the internet, before cable TV and cell phones. (But not to a time before refrigeration and beer!) Rafiki felt like what Costa Rica must have been like before eco-tourism became a thing--it felt real.
Loved it. Don't miss this experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the lake view rooms if you can!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The RAFIKI rafting trip was a fun experience. The staff is personable and educated and learning the story behind the ecolodge and it's purpose was an added plus. We were staying off site in Manuel Antonio. They promptly picked us up around 7:30 for the hour (bumpy) ride to the lodge. We were greeted by the owner and treated to a traditional costa rica breakfast. We were then given a tour of the grounds and an explanation of the mission statement behind RAFIKI. The rafting guys were awesome and super educated as well showing us local plants such as cinnamon bar, licorice, etc. We then set out on a great rafting trip with break for lunch an waterfall. The trip was a mix of rapids and calm waters. Just a great way to experience the costa rican ecosystem. I would definitely return again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Rafiki Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!