We did not stay with Rafiki, but I was intrigued with this resort and chose to do a one-day excursion with them from our hotel in MA, so the majority of my review is focused on the river excursion. However, I did thoroughly tour the property during our visit and guests should expect a beautiful but more rustic experience if staying here. This is for folks that really want to be unplugged. I am always on the go and would need to be on tours daily and then socialize at the bar/restaurant area until bedtime as the location is isolated and self contained. The only negative thing I have to say is something needs to be done about the access path to the pool slide. Saying it's, "a little slick" doesn't cover it. I had to remove my shoes and slowly scale the path like Spiderman (constant moisture causes it to be slick and slimy). This is an accident waiting to happen. Otherwise, I found the property well cared for and beautiful all around.
Regarding our day--this was the absolute BEST excursion we did over the course of 9 days in CR. (I emailed them directly to book our day of white water rafting)
They sent transportation to pick us up from our hotel, and when we arrived we had a lovely full breakfast at their retreat before starting our adventure on the river. I enjoyed exploring the grounds of the resort and taking a tour of the facilities while we waited for our guides. They had beautiful horses grazing on property as we entered the grounds and I almost wished we had booked a full day that included horseback riding.
This was my 11 yr old son’s first time on real white water (we live close to man- made white water training center). I couldn’t have been happier with the guides and the pre-tour safety exercises. Being June it had rained quite a bit, so the water was high and the guide said it was Class II/III rapids which was perfect.
The scenery was breathtaking and we stopped and swam at a large, beautiful waterfall. Also, the hot lunch we were served (included) was delicious.
During this excursion we were accompanied by a photographer that kayaked ahead of the group to get photos that are available for sale at the end of the journey. They were reasonably priced and we liked having the photos to reminisce about our adventure.
If going to Manuel Antonio area, I absolutely would not miss this tour or do it with anyone else. Worth every penny. The whole experience with Rafiki was surreal—you will not be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rafiki is a sustainable adventure lodge located in the Savegre Valley of Costa Rica. The lodge sits on 840 acres of tropical forest. Rafiki specializes in custom white water rafting, horseback riding and hiking trips. Guests sleep in imported luxury Safari Tents which feature hydro electric fans and lights. Each tent sits on a raised hardwood platform, has a deluxe bathroom with glass showers heated with fire. The units also have a private porch with rocking chairs looking over the Savegre Valley. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Rafiki Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rafiki Safari Hotel Province Of Puntarenas
- Rafiki Safari Lodge Costa Rica/Province Of Puntarenas