“Beautiful gardens and birding” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Las Cruces Biological Station

Las Cruces Biological Station
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Province of Puntarenas
Las Cruces Biological Station
Save Saved
You added Las Cruces Biological Station to your Saves list
| San Vito, Costa Rica   |
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Beautiful gardens and birding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed here for two nights as part of a birdwatching tour group during the dry season. The facilities, somewhat typical of rainforest areas, were quite good. My room had glass all across the back (louvered windows and a door), with a private deck looking out onto the forest below. A portable fan provided air movement, no small deal since the temperatures got a bit warm. The shower caused me some consternation. The shower head contained an electric heating element that works best (and that's not saying much) when the water flow is lowest. On the first morning, before I figured this out, I "enjoyed" a cold shower; on the second morning, I got water with at least a tepid temperature. Other than that, though, the room was more than adequate. It was clean and the bed comfortable. Meals are served on schedule -- no dawdling recommended if you want to eat (this is the same as other biological stations I have visited). The serving was family style, and the amounts provided were adequate in most cases. The variety of birds was fantastic, at the dining area, as well as throughout the gardens. Our guide set out fresh bananas at a bird feeding station on the patio near the dining hall and we were almost immediately visited by several species of colorful tanagers, honeycreepers and hummingbirds. The gift shop was small but had some nice items, including ice cream treats, a welcome relief from the heat. As most everywhere on our trip, the staff was very helpful and friendly. The grounds have numerous paths between buildings and the forest, and expanses of well-cared for lawn and flowering plants. It's just a beautiful place, with a lot of variety in the flora. Recommended highly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night at Las Cruces in December. We originally had this in our itinerary as a way to break up a long drive, but it turned out to be a fantastic addition.

We stayed in the Antharium room (all rooms have names vs numbers) and there was SO much wildlife to view from the back terrace. There was this one tree that attracted a constant stream of hummingbirds, guan, and dozens of other types that I can't remember.

We were the only ones staying overnight, and when the chef learned that I had a particular food allergy that they forgot to address (reported several times ahead of time), she whipped me up something special that turned out to be the best meal of the trip. Breakfast was the "tipico" for Costa Rica (beans, rice, eggs, cheese, etc.), but the tortilas were fresh with little stamped decorations in them.

The Wilson Botanical Garden is lovely, and we had some great bird sightings there, but honestly the feeder in back of the dining hall was THE place to be. INSANE colorful bird activity.

We also went on a hike to the observation platform and down to the Rio Java. Would definitely visit again if we're in the area.

Room Tip: Antharium - or if you prefer a little more isolation and luxury, ask if the researcher cabins are av...