We have some mixed feelings on what to write about this hotel.
We'll start with all the good points:
- the young owners are very friendly and nice and do everything they can to please their guests. They are ambitious and the fact that their beautifull kids are there gives a very warm and familiar feeling. You feel as if your guests into their home.
- the piece and quiet, the pool, the hammocs... You can really relax here.
- they knew we were on our honeymoon and they offered us a nice bottle of red wine in the spacious room
- the rooms are set out in nice bungalows through out the young garden
There were also some little things that need some more work, but they are really working on it:
- the rooms are big and spacious, but a bit run down. They are remoddeling, and it's really necessary. Mold in the bathrooms, cracks everywhere. The rooms were very spacious and clean, but need a makeover. (Which they are doing, so I trust that by next year the rooms will be perfect.)
- there still are some concrete platforms of where rooms used to be, or will come.... they should remove those...
- the guide Luis: He had a face that you can't be mad at and he loves nature... but I think we got unlucky with him. Some other people who were in the hotel together with us, and who took the same tours were rather negative about the hotel, the food, the guide, ... and we think that he must have felt that and didn't really try his best.
He's a nice, lovable person, but when we went out on excursions he just said what he had to say, didn't really look for animals (he was chatting to the locals on the boat) and we feel that we have missed out on some things... It felt as if he didn't really liked his job anymore.... Which is a pity because he looks to be a great guide. I just think he didn't like our group....
- the food: We were only with 7 people in the hotel so they didn't make a buffet... Which we can understand. Unfortunately we never knew in advance what we would eat and there were no alternatives for people with allergies, or people who didn't eat or like something. We loved the food, but heared several people complain. We liked it, but could have eaten more.... The portions were rather small.
Overal this is a great hotel if you're looking for peace and quiet and a lovely time in the centre of the jungle. We do feel that is currently overpiced since the rooms were still rundown, the food was not outstanding,... We payed $ 520 for 3 days - 2 nights and I can't say that this price is correct.
We do wish Jourdan and Hannia all the best, and we're sure that when we come back to Costa Rica with our kids in a few years, they will have turned Flor de Tortuguero into a beautifull place. They just need some more time to turn the randown samoa lodge into the dreamhotel they want to make...
- Also Known As:
- Samoa Lodge & Resort Tortuguero Hotel Tortuguero
- Samoa Lodge And Resort Tortuguero
- Samoa Hotel Tortuguero
- Samoa Lodge & Resort Tortuguero Costa Rica