The thing to remember about this place is that it is a wildlife lodge, so don't expect it to be wall to wall luxury. The rooms are basic, but clean, no aircon or any other electrical gadgets. Beds are big and comfy, but due to getting up early and returning late, you don't spend much time in them!
The food is basic but tasty, the bar and pool area are lovely. Sitting there watching the large green iguanas sunbathing by the pool and having an afternoon cocktail, I was in heaven!
The wildlife experience is great, but beware, the animals are wild and not easy to see. We did an early morning and afternoon boat trip. Our highlight was going on an escorted night beach visit to watch a large Green turtle lay her eggs, wonderful, magic experience.
The nearby town is very small, just really the one street but worth a walk through.
The gardens in the lodge are great, I recomend that everyone visits the butterfly and frog house. The poison tree frog are spectacular but tiny and very hard to spot in the wild.
The hotel is sandwiched in between a fab black sand beach and the lagoon, so the best of both worlds.
To sum up, you will love this place if your expectations are realistic, leave the high heels at home, and don't go near the place if your not into jungle and wildlife.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heartland of the lush rainforest of Tortuguero Canals, Costa Rica, Mawamba Lodge and Tortuguero National Park are worth visiting year round. What makes us different? *Unbeatable location on a strip of land between the Tortuguero Canals and the Caribbean Ocean, providing direct access to both * The closest Lodge to Tortuguero town within walking distance (no need to take boats to town) * Free WI FI in selected areas of the hotel * Complimentary safety deposit box in your room * Unlimited free visits to our MAWAMBA PARK: where we offer two butterfly gardens, one iguana and one frog garden. A guided visit is also included in our 3 day / 2 night package * Private nature trais for nature walks * Exciting optional tours including night walks in the forest, kayaking, fishing and the NEW! Katonga floating restaurant for sunset tours or dinners / lunches on board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Mawamba Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mawamba Lodge Tortuguero Hotel Tortuguero
- Mawamba Lodge Costa Rica/Tortuguero