We stayed in the Junior Suite which had a king bed and a full. It also had a sofa bed that we were planning on using, but when we opened it up we discovered that it was filthy and a bug even crawled out of the mattress. We quickly folded it back up and squeezed the two of us (ages 13 and 16) in the full bed for our 3 night stay. The shower was enormous which was very nice. On our deck we had a hammock which was much enjoyed.
For our first 6 meals we got the meal plan. It's not a great deal especially if you have someone who can't eat all 3 courses due to dietary restrictions. The food is good and the portions are very big. The waiters are very nice.
We did a variety of activities such as watching turtle nesting and taking a boat tour trough Tortugero. We had a guide named Angelo who was good at spotting wildlife. Another amazing experience was going out early in the morning in the Caribbean ocean to watch turtle mating. The main town is a great place to find lunch and only a short boat taxi ride away. Also, for hikes they have a large selection of rain boots and they will also provide ponchos and umbrellas.
Overall it was a good way to start our Costa Rican vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 11 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms. 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See what reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites, with connecting door. 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite with 2 baths. 1 of the Downstairs Rooms is Wheelchair Accessible with 2 baths • Beds: 4 Downstairs Rooms and 5 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 6 Downstairs Rooms and 3 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. 1 Downstairs Room and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. 1 Downstairs Room has 1 King and 1Double Bed. 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. The 2 Junior suites have 1 King and 1 Double Bed • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, ceiling fans, reading lamps, hair dryer, free wireless internet and large screened windows so you experience the sounds of the rain forest. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. Caribbean themed cocktails, and no we don't mean pina coladas, although we'll make you one of those too. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and with an emphasis on the natural surroundings - most buildings are open air. • No background music. • Suggested activities at hotel: Palm and Orchid Gardens. Plan on 1 or 2 hours. Award winning Riverside Pool. Plan on at least 1 hour per morning or afternoon per day. Hammocks everywhere. Plan on losing track of time in one. 2 computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. • Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. • Suggested stay: 3-5 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero