The river journey from La Paviona to Tortuguera in torrential rain was an exciting introduction to Tortuguera. The lodge is one of the furthest from the village - a 5 or 10 minute boat ride - but once you get there it is a spectacular spot situated right on the waters edge. Our room was roomy and airy and the fact that there was merely mesh rather than glass in the windows only added to the atmosphere as we could clearly hear the sounds of the rain forest and the torrential rain while in bed.
Vivianna on reception was delightful and very helpful, nothing seemed too much for her.
We had a very good 3 course lunch on our first day but were very disappointed with both the dinner and the breakfast and were glad that on our second evening we went to Wild Ginger which was exceptional. The staff in the dining room were however very pleasant.
We chose to make our own arrangements for turtle watching and a kayak trip into the jungle as those offered by the hotel seemed very expensive.
The natural looking pool was situated within a foot or so of the river and it was delightful to cool off in. There were plenty of beds and hammocks , the hotel also offers complimentary coffees and pre dinner canapés which our family took full advantage of !
We borrowed boots from the hotel and decided to walk the trails behind the property but gave up pretty quickly as it was exceptionally muddy and the bugs were unbearable.
All in all it was a very good choice to stay in while in Tortuguera which itself is well worth a visit although we would not have wanted to stay more than 2 or 3 nights there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and operated by Costa Rica Expeditions, Tortuga Lodge & Gardens sits on 146 acres of private land on Costa Rica’s northeast Caribbean coast. The lodge is designed to blend into the river and the rainforest. The open air restaurant, the naturally purified pool and the hammocks draped throughout the grounds all meld smoothly into the water flowing endlessly past. So smoothly that it will quickly become difficult to imagine one without the other. The lodge has 12 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms, 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms, 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites (with connecting door available) and 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite. Outside all rooms have a front porch sitting area and a hammock. Lie in your hammock in front of your room and close your eyes to listen, you will hear life going on in the forest. Inside all rooms have a private shower with hot water, a ceiling fan, in-room safe, alarm clock, free wireless internet, hair dryer, two in-room wicker chairs and a small table. Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Venere and Otel so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero