Tortuga Lodge and Gardens offered the best location for wildlife viewing that we experienced in Costa Rica. My husband and I took a private boat tour with our own guide. It was reasonably priced and provided the most sightings of birds and mammals as compared to other lodges we visited in CR. While it did not have the feeling of "wilderness", it nonetheless met our modest expectations and we obtained some wonderful photos. The guide was knowledgeable and helpful as well. A visit to the town of Tortuguero was worth a visit but really didn't offer much by way of activities. There were a variety of small restaurants and shops but many appeared to be of low quality.
The rooms at the lodge needed updating but were quiet except for the wonderful sound of the waves of Caribbean Sea just beyond the lagoon where the lodge is located. We faced the lagoon and docks which didn't offer a great view and some might prefer the garden view rooms which face the jungle. The food was also very good as was the service in both the restaurant and bar. During our visit there was only one well behaved child but this might be an issue if visiting during holidays and school vacations.
Overall, the Tortuga Lodge and Gardens is a good choice for anyone wishing to observe more abundant wildlife and good service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 11 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms. 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See What Reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites, with connecting door. 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite with 2 baths. 1 of the Downstairs Rooms is Wheelchair Accessible with 2 baths • Beds: 4 Downstairs Rooms and 5 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 6 Downstairs Rooms and 3 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. 1 Downstairs Room and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. 1 Downstairs Room has 1 King and 1Double Bed. 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. The 2 Junior suites have 1 King and 1 Double Bed • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, ceiling fans, reading lamps, hair dryer, free wireless internet and large screened windows so you experience the sounds of the rain forest. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and tranquil. No background music. • Suggested activities at hotel: Palm and Orchid Gardens. Plan on 1 or 2 hours. Award winning Riverside Pool. Plan on 1 hour to morning or afternoon per day. 3 computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. • Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. • Suggested stay: 3-5 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, T4B, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero