This was our 5th location in Costa Rica so we were ready for some downtime. Arrived by plane at 6am. Met at the airport and shuttled across the channel to the hotel. Had breakfast, followed by orientation by the assistant manager. Room not ready so went back across the channel( 2 minutes by boat) to walk the beach which was deserted.
After lunch had one of the highlights of the trip. A kayak trip into the jungle waterways. We had done a similar trip in Cano Negro on a 20 passenger boat but this does not compare. The quiet and the ability to get up close with the wildlife. We had 2 hours of bliss with only the two of us and our guide. Not at all strenuous, so if you can please see the wildlife this way.
The lodge itself is basic compared to other resorts we stayed in. However it more than met our needs. Food was plain but good and the service was excellent.
We participated in the Word Adventure experience at the local school helping the 9 -12 year old with their English - a well worthwhile venture.
Tortuguero is off the beaten track and outside the turtle season there is a limited amount to do. However it is worth the trip just for the kayak tour.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and operated by Costa Rica Expeditions, Tortuga Lodge & Gardens sits on 146 acres of private land on Costa Rica’s northeast Caribbean coast. The lodge is designed to blend into the river and the rainforest. The open air restaurant, the naturally purified pool and the hammocks draped throughout the grounds all meld smoothly into the water flowing endlessly past. So smoothly that it will quickly become difficult to imagine one without the other. The lodge has 12 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms, 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms, 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites (with connecting door available) and 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite. Outside all rooms have a front porch sitting area and a hammock. Lie in your hammock in front of your room and close your eyes to listen, you will hear life going on in the forest. Inside all rooms have a private shower with hot water, a ceiling fan, in-room safe, alarm clock, free wireless internet, hair dryer, two in-room wicker chairs and a small table. Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.