This is a wonderful place to stay. It’s a 5/10 minute boat ride out of the village of Tortuguero. The hotel provides transport on river buses. If you’re in Tortuguero, river taxis take you there for $20 for the four of us. It’s therefore very peaceful, but you may feel you miss out on the bustle of Tortuguero. We liked the tranquillity! Food was very nicely done. They were accommodating – we missed breakfast because of an early morning canoe trip but they rustled up fruit, toast, and coffee for us.
We liked the way the Turtle Spotter program is organised – book it through the hotel. It was a highlight of the holiday.
We recommend doing a canoe tour of the canals with Barbara Hartung as a guide . Pre-book her
Get up very early (5:15), get the hotel water taxi to Tortuguero village and she will meet you. Go canoeing with her. Far better than the noisy outboard engines of the other boats, and you can go down narrower rivers than the other boats. The canoeing is easy. She has good English.
We recommend the hotel’s Word Adventure Programme. It’s free and is run by the wonderful Kerry who is an American girl living in the area. English is essential for the local children if they want jobs in tourism. Kerry is employed by the hotel to run an English language club in the local village of San Francisco. You can help her for an hour or so with the language club –it’s doesn’t require teaching skills. We played Uno with the children –they practised their English and we learnt some Spanish and it was great fun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 11 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms. 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See What Reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites, with connecting door. 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite with 2 baths. 1 of the Downstairs Rooms is Wheelchair Accessible with 2 baths • Beds: 4 Downstairs Rooms and 5 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 6 Downstairs Rooms and 3 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. 1 Downstairs Room and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. 1 Downstairs Room has 1 King and 1Double Bed. 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. The 2 Junior suites have 1 King and 1 Double Bed • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, ceiling fans, reading lamps, hair dryer, free wireless internet and large screened windows so you experience the sounds of the rain forest. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and tranquil. No background music. • Suggested activities at hotel: Palm and Orchid Gardens. Plan on 1 or 2 hours. Award winning Riverside Pool. Plan on 1 hour to morning or afternoon per day. 3 computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. • Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. • Suggested stay: 3-5 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, T4B, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero