“MY FAVORITE CHILL-OUT PLACE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chimuri Beach Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Chimuri Beach Retreat
Playa Negra, 350 m north Pulperia Violeta, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 7240, Costa Rica   |
canarias
“MY FAVORITE CHILL-OUT PLACE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been coming back to Chimuri again and again because I have not found another place yet where I can relax, get away from my work and have time just for myself (even without my lovely wife!) like here for an astounding price, unbeatable for all the simple comfort it offers. Its so peaceful and beautiful, no matter if sunshine or rain, if on the quiet beach right in front or in the hammock on the porch of my cottage. My favorite cabin is Hawk Spirit since its perfect for me alone, high up with a view across the nice natural garden to the beach, and so very private. There is just no other place for individual retreats like this!
Kiana and Mauricio who are extremely knowledgeable of the natural and cultural history of the area and with whom I always have inspiring conversations, always welcome me warmly with open heart and mind.
Over the years Chimuri has become better and better, especially after remodeling and re-construction.
I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was looking for an affordable personal retreat where I could focus on yoga, meditation and writing, and this place is simply perfect for that. I stayed for a month in January and made an on-the-fly decision to stay for another month because it was exactly what I was looking for. during the time I ran into "ShinDao" who has a review below (I can vouch for everything he said). I would add that the town of Puerto Viejo is a 15-20 minute walk on the beach which I made approximately every 2 days, including at night, and I always felt safe and never threatened in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed a month in the Sea Heart cottage and loved it! It had a nice view of the beach from the kitchen window and the sound of the waves lull you to sleep everynight. The prices are very affordable and the cotttage is nice and clean. Kiana help you with any questions or assistance you need. She was great and we will definitely be back! We were there from January 28, 2013 to February 28, 2013.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed for a month at Chimuri. We loved our little cottage and the price was right. I cooked a lot of good meals in the kitchen, and the atmosphere was very nice. Kiana was very helpful in every way. I would definitely recommend Chimuri for a long stay in Puerto Viejo. It is a nice walk in the beach to town.

Room Tip: We had the smallest of the three cottages and it worked fine. We liked the fact that it was up in t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We booked my stay at Chimurri from Dec 30, 2012 to Jan 24, 2013 and once again from start to finish it was an absolutely amazing experience! The cottages are simple and clean and have an authentic rustic feel to them.

The beautiful Playa Negra is only steps away from the cottage's front door. Kiana welcomed us with open arms. If you are just interested in a quiet getaway and are looking for a simple and functional place to stay this is it!

The town of Puerto Viejo is a quick taxi ride ($4.00 USD) or 10 min bike ride away to buy groceries or eat out at one of the many restaurants the town has to offer.

I would suggest anyone wanting a quiet place to reflect and enjoy nature to stay at Chimurri!

I went to Chimuri to write.

Yoga is available right next door in a beautiful outdoor gazebo.

Room Tip: The are all good!! They have all been rebuild in the last 1.5 years..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This place was so wonderful for its price. Located on a much more secluded part of the beach, its charm lies in its mellow, laid back atmosphere, matched with a a sense of being connected with the local life here. Once you catch wind of the vegetable and fruit truck schedule, you can buy all the local fruit and vegetables you need several times a week (it's helpful if you speak some basic Spanish!). One of the owner's families has owned this property for generations, and the houses are still built in a classical Costa Rican style rather than a European style building. Kiana, the other owner who's originally from Austria, is a lovely woman who was attending yoga with me on her daughter's neighbouring property where a gazebo houses morning yoga daily. The Beach is just across the small dirt road that separates this property from the Ocean, and 2 out of the 3 little huts available for rent have an Ocean view...Gorgeous.

Room Tip: Choose one of the huts that has an Ocean view!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at Chimuri for the month of September while I volunteered at the Jaquar Rescue Center. It was absolutely wonderful! My cottage (Hawk's Spirit) was beautiful - very comfortable, spotlessly clean, and with everything I needed for my extended stay. And I can't say enough about what a fabulous, welcoming host Kiana is! She was always available to answer questions about anything. I enjoyed all our chats very much, and she made me feel like I had a real friend there. She really made my whole experience there even more special.
There is a small shop with essentials just a 10 minute walk away, or, you can ride a bike (10 minutes) or take a taxi into town ($4) for anything else you might need. Don't miss the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings! There are a couple restaurants within walking distance (I highly recommend Banana Azul just 5 minutes away) and MANY more in town and beyond.
The rates are incredible for such a wonderful place. I would stay at Chimuri again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Hawk's Spirit is perfect for one person or a couple. Two friends or a family would want one of t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Chimuri Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!