“Getting Away From It All” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chimuri Beach Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Chimuri Beach Retreat
You added Chimuri Beach Retreat to your Saves list
Playa Negra, 350 m north Pulperia Violeta, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 7240, Costa Rica   |
Calgary, Canada
“Getting Away From It All”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We booked 3 weeks at Chimuri Beach Retreat because we wanted to get away from it all. No TV, no phones, no distraction. We wanted to live a very simple life and thats exactly what we got. If you are looking to live a simple and yet still very comfortably Chimuri Beach retreat maybe what you are looking for.

Chimuri has a great location right across from a beautiful, quiet beach but still close enough to the town to enjoy all its amenities if you desire.

With the new Gazebo it is ideal for those interested in yoga, healing, meditation, and creative arts...and it is a wonderfully affordable place to relax and enjoy an authentic Caribbean beach retreat.

Mauricio and Kiana are excellent hosts, providing us access to filtered water (so no lugging bottles from town or purchasing a bunch of plastic ones) and having a cleaning lady come every few days to keep the houses clean. With the full kitchen we were able to cook most of our meals ourselves. Don't miss the farmers market in Puerto Viejo on Saturday mornings. Or the resturaunt Bread and Chocolate ... hmmmm

A highlight for us was a guided tour with Mauricio, who is indigenous Bribri. He is very knowledgeable in the identification and uses of native jungle plants and animals.

You can easily rent bicycles either in town or up the road at Banana Azul and it makes getting to/fro Puerto Viejo very easy for shopping, restaurants, etc. But you're also very removed from the town, which I found quite lovely, and you're right in the midst of the jungle but by the sea. Taxi is only $4.00 USD if you don't want to walk or ride into town.

We really love it there and will definitely plan to go back again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed 3 weeks at Chimuri Beach retreat during the less crowded and drier fall season, and I was happy to find it was just like it was described and pictured on the website. I wanted a quiet beach retreat instead of a more typical vacation spot, and Chimuri is a great place to enjoy the beach and the peaceful garden setting at a low cost.
The Austrian born hostess, Kiana, has lived in the Puerto Viejo area for 30 years and was welcoming and gracious. She is well connected with the yoga and spiritual healing community, and her new gazebo and private room is a beautiful ocean view spot for yoga and massages at Chimuri Beach.
Kiana is also a practitioner of Johrei, a Japanese tradition of offering and receiving healing light and love. She generously offers Johrei to her community and guests, and all donations go to the international Johrei organization.
As an Arizona retreat owner (spiritfallsretreat.com), I appreciated the warm welcome and the private personal space that Chimuri Beach offers. It seems ideal for those interested in yoga, healing, meditation, and creative arts...and it is a wonderfully affordable place to relax and enjoy an authentic Caribbean beach retreat.

Room Tip: The Sea Heart cabin is being completely renovated and directly faces the beach
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Chimuri has the best location right across from a beautiful, quiet beach but still close enough to the town to enjoy all its amenities. The property is beautifully landscaped and it is truly a tropical paradise. This is a great place to live very simply and enjoy all the wonders around you. The cottages are rustic and built in the traditional caribbean style, so if you are expecting it to be like home, then I would recommend that you stay home.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

I am a professional photographer from Florida and I have stayed at the Chimuri cottages 3 times in the last couple of years. I have always had a nice comfortable place to stay and I have taken some of my best photos right there on the property. If you like nature and the beach Chimuri is the place for you. I also like how the owners Mauricio and Colocha try to protecct all the animals and plants on the property. I saw anteaters,sloths,humming birds, many other birds Jesus Christ lizards, posssums, 3 different kinds of hawks and poison dart frogs. A true nature Paradise. Sincerely: Angel

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

If your are a dirty back packer and like camping then...this is your place. We visited Puerto Viejo (4 women and my teenage daughter) and rented all three cottages for one week. The location is great, across a nice beach BUT that's it!!! The cottages are old, infested by termites, dirty and without proper ventilation. It is almost impossible to sleep on their cots, trying to grasp air from a malfuntionning, noisy , 10 inch diameter fan. Look at my pictures and you'll notice how run down the place is. We advised the owners about the issuesbut they ignored us. I personally rented the bigger cottage and could not use the kitchen as I noticed that termite droppings were falling from the ceiling anytime someone was in the upper bedroom just above the kitchen!!! Furthermore as there is no screens, you either have to stay in the dark by closing the shutters or leaving everything open, welcoming all critters. I was also scared to use the shower or touch the plugs are the electrical wires are overly exposed! We could not wait to go home after a week!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
ColochaPuertoViejo, owner at Chimuri Beach Retreat, responded to this review, March 28, 2010
First of all, we appreciate critical, constructive reviews. But honestly, we felt quite offended with this (quite biased) one and we feel compelled to give a response. The review was posted 6 months after the visit without verifying if the encountered problems were actually fixed, (which they were). The sink was repaired right away after departure and the missing cover of the breaker box (which was a carelessness of the electrician who had changed the thermo -shower and the wiring a few days before) was of course reset as well. The "10-inch" fans is actually not true, they are 14 inches in diameter and ventilate very well. A word about "termite infested": As very eco-minded owners we do not use any pesticides or toxins to eliminate termites (which in the tropics is truly a challenge one has to confront all the time). What we do is change affected pieces of lumber periodically, especially in the off-season. We are really sorry if this guest was feeling that she did not get a good deal with our rates ($ 12/pers/night in this 4-pers. cottage). We are glad that other guests feel well treated and were actually enjoying their stay. Anyhow, we are grateful for even this extremely negative opinion, as it gives us the opportunity to get even better within the price range we can offer. Thank you!
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have been to Chimuri twice -- once in 1997 and then in September 2009. I had remembered it being beautiful, relaxing, removed from the town and I had the beach all to myself; this visit I found the same to be true, even though the town of Puerto Viejo has grown quite a bit in the last 12 years.

Mauricio and Colocha are excellent hosts, providing us access to filtered water (so no lugging bottles from town or purchasing a bunch of plastic ones) and having a cleaning lady come every few days to keep the houses clean. With the full kitchen we were able to cook most of our meals ourselves -- don't miss the weekly veggie truck! Great produce for even better prices.

You can easily rent bicycles either in town or up the road at Banana Azul and it makes getting to/fro Puerto Viejo very easy for shopping, discos, bars, restaurants, etc. But you're also very removed from the town, which I found quite lovely, and you're right in the midst of the jungle but by the sea.

I really love it here and will definitely plan to go back again -- much sooner next time!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
ocotal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

to be one with Nature and living the experience of how simple and yet beautiful life can be.
ideal for meditation, disconnecting from a stressy city world. The genuine PURA VIDA (pure life) can still be felt here. My friends and I enjoyed it and are looking forward to return soon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Chimuri Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!