“Nicer outside than inside” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magic Moon Beach House & Bungalow

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Magic Moon Beach House & Bungalow
You added Magic Moon Beach House & Bungalow to your Saves list
100m south of Hotel Banana Azul, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 2543, Costa Rica   |
Jombang, Indonesia
“Nicer outside than inside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

I stayed at the Magic Moon Bungalow with my boyfriend for two nights because we could only stay at Banana Azul for four nights. Coming from Banana Azul makes going to MMB kind of a let down. While the front porch view and gardens were absolutely spectacular, inside was kind of dark and depressing. Because there are only wood shutters you have to open them up to get any light in the bedroom. In addition, our first night there we saw two large spiders on the wall of the bedroom (probably wolf spiders) and then we we got in bed we had to brush off many tiny spiders from the sheets. We tucked in the mosquito net and hoped for the best. I think that the place may have not had any guests for a week or two and I noticed that the bug repellant needed changing. The second night was not so bad. If these things had not been the case I'm sure we would have had a different experience (it is Costa Rica and the Carribean after all, there are going to be bugs if people aren't there to scare them off). I could see how, minus the spiders, this could be a special place as all of the comments in the guest book were very positive.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
HUNTLEY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My group of 4 (two couples) spent 10 days at Magic Moon Beach House. Plenty of room for 4 people, 3 bedrooms and plenty of lounging space, not to mention the beauty of the beach right across the road. We had some problems with rain leakage (due to unseasonal rain deluge), but the caretakers, Susannah and Renee, were great at taking care of things. Plus we had our own cleaning person and gardener every other day we were there. The photos on the web site do not do the house justice. Brand new floor fans have been added since the previous review, though we seldom needed them. The ocean breezes cooled the house nicely.
There was the added benefit of having the staff at Banana Azul (just up the road) on hand to arrange tours, serve food, and just help with any problems. They could not have been nicer, even allowing us to park our rental car on their premises for security.
If you are looking for 4 star hotel accommodations, this is not for you. If you are looking for beauty, comfort, great people and great location, Magic Moon beach house will certainly please you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

We stayed in the small bungalow with one bedroom. My daughter (10), my husband and I felt really at home here. The house was clean with everything we needed. The bathroom and kitchen were totally functional and the beds were comfortable. The living area on the front deck was amazing with a lovely view of the landscaped garden and the sound of the waves crashing beyond. The house was just around the corner from Banana Azul where we ate when we didn't cook our own meals. Puerto Viejo is a short 20 minute walk on the beach where there are restaurants, nightlife, shopping and grocery stores (whatever you want). We were picked up right at our front gate when we booked tours. We also used the public transit system which is inexpensive, clean and very efficient. Check out the Sloth Rescue Mission (easily accessible by bus or taxi).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

Formerly from NYC, my husband and I live in the Central Valley in Costa Rica. Another NYC'er was coming for a visit and my husband and I were looking for a beach vacation for for us all. We heard a lot about Puerto Viejo and thought we would give it a shot.

We were hoping to stay at Banana Azul but unfortunately it was booked and since they manage this property they suggested it to us.

Overall we had a wonderful experience, but there are some things you should know before staying here.

Pros:

1. Location, location, location - probably no more than 50 meters to the beach

2. Porch, porch, porch - other than sleeping or going to the beach or town, all of our time was spent on the spacious porch which came with a couch, some chairs, a hammack, and a pass through window to the kitchen . . . NICE!!!

3. Property - the grounds really make you feel like you are in Costa Rica. Lush fruit trees, and palm trees and plenty of room to roam around

4. The view. Sitting on the porch you can see and hear the ocean. Nothing beats that

5. Electric gate - very convenient especially when it is raining. . .you can drive right up and not have to get out and get soaked

6. Pet friendly - my dog Flaca loved it as much as we did

7. Outdoor shower - while it wasn't enclosed, I believe it was just intended to be a rinse off shower after the beach, I actually showered there a few times as the water temp was just right

8. Washer and dryer - that was great to bring clean clothes home, I just wish there were some directions on how to use the washer as it was all in

9. Maid service 3x during my 1 week stay

10. Wifi

11. I believe their website says there is cable TV (but when we arrived the TV was in the closet not plugged into anything and we never bothered to figure out where it should go so we never watched anything . . . but we never missed it as there were much better things to do)

12. Great support from the Management company (the staff at the Banana Azul hotel just down the road). They were very attentive to our requests. Also, anything you did at or through the hotel they charged to our "account" so we never needed money when we were there.

13. No need for a car. 20-25 minute walk to town along the beach or a 2,000 colones (approx. $4.00) cab ride to town.

Cons:

1. Water temperature in the shower - it was virtually impossible to keep the shower warm for the entire time. On the hope we have more hot water, we waited at least 20-25 minutes between showers for any chance to have any hot water and we found this out the hard way. So you need to start early for everyone to be ready on time

2. Sky lights in the upstairs bedrooms - while in theory this sounds great. . you can stare at the stars from bed, it is not so great when the sun shines in at the crack of dawn . . . literally!! I am a light sleeper and was awake every morning with the sun. I know CR is an early to bed early to rise kind of place, but that is just a bit too early for me. I wish there was a way to cover them at night. Although they are very helpful for during daylight hours as we never had to turn on any lights

3. The house needs better circulation/ceiling fans. There were small fans in each bedroom (one quite rusty looking with no protective covering) but that really wasn't enough to cool us off in the afternoons when we came back from our walk. What they really need in the bedrooms especially, as well as on the porch, are either ceiling fans or other fans mounted to the wall that circulate. The only way I could stay cool in my room was to have the fan blowing directly on me the entire night.

4. While the house comes with a large kitchen, I felt as though many of the utensils and some other items that were included were old and while not actually rusty, things that I would have thrown away in my own home. I live in CR so I was able to bring a few things with me like a blender to make smoothies, spices etc. . . but if you are coming from another country, I doubt you will be traveling with that. To be honest, had I known, I would have brought more with me. I have rented vacation homes before and the kitchens were stocked with spices, condiments, coffee, sugar, napkins, paper towels, aluminum foil, zip lock bags etc. . .this place had no amenities like that. Glasses, dishes, tupperwear and things like that were in abundance but you would still be missing a great many things to cook a full meal. In the end, we really never took advantage of the kitchen other than to make a few smoothies and a place to store my dog's food and the wine we brought with us (But the refrigerator did have an ice maker and water in the door which was quite a plus!!)

5. Since I live in CR I am very familiar with the creepy crawlers in the house but there were a lot of the tiny ants in the kitchen. Thankfully I don't have them where I live but they need to address them better.

6. Be sure to let them know if you are allergic to cats. For most of our stay there was a cat on the property, usually meowing for food. . . boy could that cat eat. There was cat food in the laundry room for it and one day there was none left so we gave it some of our dog food and it scarfed that up too. Just an FYI!!

7. While there is a safe for small items such as your passport, money, cameras and cell phones, there was no place to store larger items like laptops. We had three with us and we had to lug 20 lbs of computers back and forth to the Banana Azul every day where they graciously stored them for us.

In the end, none of these things were deal breakers and we REALLY enjoyed our stay (with the exception of being a bit too hot on occasion) and I would recommend Magic Moon to anyone. I just think it is worth knowing a few things before staying there.

We were only 3 people, and we rented it because there was a separate bedroom and bathroom downstairs so everyone had some privacy, but it can comfortably sleep 6. King bed in the master bedroom, two twin beds in the other upstairs bedroom and the downstairs bedroom can be configured with either bunk beds or a full size futon.

If you are looking for the ultimate in luxury, then this isn't it (although my husband would disagree . . . but then again, he thinks camping is luxury ;-)) but for a lovely beach vacation in the a great area (Playa Negra, just 1.5 km from the center of Puerto Viejo) close to a number of amazing restaurants (Loco Natural, Chili Rojo, Peace & Love to name a few) in a spacious house basically right on the beach, then this is a great deal.

Since I only live about 5 hours away by car, my husband and I will definitely be back. Probably not at Magic Moon's large beach house, as it is too large for just the two of us, but we might be next door at their smaller bungalow.

In the end, Puerto Viejo in general is not for everyone, as I don't think any accomodations anywhere would be considered the ultimate in luxury, but it is a very laid back town, with very nice people and some amazing food. PURA VIDA!!

• Liked — Location to the beach
  • Disliked — No AC or ceiling fans; not the best circulation
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hojancha, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Directly in front of the black beach, cute, comfortable, tropical, lovely gardens. We were originally going to stay at Banana Azul Guest House, but they were booked up. Though I love Banana Azul too, it was nice to have the place to ourselves at Magic Moon. It really made our vacation special. I want to go back!

• Liked — Comfort and proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay as long as I wanted to
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

We stayed at the 3 bedroom house and it was a great way to relax and enjoy the area with everything we needed in the house including high speed wireless internet, cable tv, washer/dryer, phone. It's got a great garden and the beach is right there!

• Liked — It has everything you need!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

Wake up to the sound of surf and birds in this beautiully built, and completely outfitted home (even granite counters!). Covered deck looks out to the ocean. Eat the fruit that grows on your own property. Miles of beautiful beach. Restauants and shopping a 20 minute beach walk away. Total relaxation and rustic luxury.
Charlotte and John A

• Liked — Comforts of home in beautiful tropical setting
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Magic Moon Beach House & Bungalow? Share your experiences!