“way better then i expected and a excellent vacation spot.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lizard King Hotel Resort

Save Saved
You added Lizard King Hotel Resort to your Saves list
Lizard King Hotel Resort
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle Principal - 600 metros sur del Banco | Costa Rica (On the main road of Puerto Viejo), Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
New York
“way better then i expected and a excellent vacation spot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

The owners were very friendly and helpful. The rooms had cable and air conditioner and it was very clean. They even helped us arrange and put together travel events and sites. The food was good, especially the breakfast. One of there best features is there WIFI and internet service right in the hotel. They also had a pool which looked inviting although i spent most of my time at the beach which is only a 10 minute walk from there. Overall, it was way better then i expected and i plan to be back there next year.

• Stayed June 2009

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Lizard King for approx 5 nights and we really enjoyed our stay. The owners (Lillian and Louis) are lovely - Tvery helpful and safety concious regarding the resort and who comes in and out. The resort is all constructed of wood (built by Louis!), with an open, relaxing feel, breakfast was delicious, the rooms are very adequate, with 2 fans (ceiling and floor), TV, and clean bathroom with a hot shower. The pool area is gorgeous (although somehow we never managed to take a dip as we were out exploring a lot and it rained!). It felt like having a caring mother when I got sick for a night or so, as Lillian was willing to bring my breakfast to the room as I couldn't move..and even wanted to take me to the doctor should I have needed it! They were also kind enough to look after our bags whilst we disappeared to Panama for a few days! The website originally said free internet and that there was a mexican restaurant - the internet was down for the majority of our stay and the restaurant was closed - but only due to the Lillians's son (who is the chef) being injured in an accident - so can't comment on the food. I am sure it would be lovely though. Definitely worth the money we paid to stay and we will definitely stay again should we be back in Puerto Viejo again!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

This hotel was listed in The Lonely Planet as "high end" but it is far from it. The website touts the pool, Mexican restauant and Martini bar but currently the restaurant and Martini bar do not exist. They are building and are working on them but they are not available. And to make it even worse, the workmen begin bright and early in the morning - 7am-ish (at least on Saturday when I was there) so forget relaxing. If the hammering and sawing don't wake you up then the resident dog will with it's early morning barking. And finally, if that isn't enough then the hotel workers will wake you with their constant knocking on the doors. The rooms are average for a budget or midrange hotel in Costa Rica (certainly not "high end") and the bathrooms are not nice. The towels completely ruin the experience as they look like they have been borrowed from someone's rag bin. On the bright side, the rates were reasonable (espeically considering the state of the property), breakfast is included and is good and the pool is nice. My internet request never received a confirmation and my email never received a response so we had to call directly. There are many better hotels in Puerto Viejo for similar affordable prices. Once the renovations to the bar and restaurant are done perhaps it may be worth the stay but in the meantime I advise skipping it.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — does not even come close to being as advertised on the website
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Truckee, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

We completely enjoyed our stay here. As another reviewer noted, this is a budget hotel. My husband and I checked out 13 hotels in Puerto Viejo before settling on this one. We were looking for the best value for our money and we certainly got it!

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We loved that use of the internet was included in the price of the stay. They made a wonderful hot breakfast each morning served with fresh juice and coffee. It was served in thier great bar that is both tropical and classy at the same time. It was a very relaxing and calming atmoshpere.

This was the cleanest budget hotel we stayed in. The rooms were spotless and they brought us fresh towels everyday. We were also very impressed that the windows were all well screened in and there was a mosquito net. Many budget hotels do not adequately protect guests from the risk of malaria and other diseases spread by mosquitos. The owners of this hotel clearly care about thier guests.

We thought the pool was awesome. It is a simple, square pool that is perfect for cooling off from the heat. I wouldn't want to lounge around it because the beach across the street was so lovely. It is a great pool for a swim.

The hotel was also close to town, so we were able to easily walk everywhere we wanted to go. It was also far enough from the clubs to not be loud at night.

Overall we had a fabulous stay at this hotel. It was quaint, romantic and wonderful. I don't think there are better budget accomodations in Puerto Viejo.

• Liked — The wonderful staff and great rooms
  • Disliked — Pool is only for hotel guests, so friends in another hotel couldn't join us swimming
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
berkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

I was disappointed when I got to this hotel. Yet again I followed the advice of The Lonely Planet guidebook, which puts it in the "top end" category, and states that it cost $90 a night. So on this basis I was expecting comfort. I didn't find comfort. I certainly wouldn't describe it as "top end" (I dread to think what budget is like) and it was a mere $30.
I found it like sleeping in a bug filled, boiling hot shed. It had windows, but you couldn't really open the curtains due to privacy issues. Also the rail fell off when I tried!
If you are used to this kind of hotel it is probably fine for you. The bed was comfy, there was a fan, a manky towel, a soap dispenser, and even a television (I had to move rooms and pay a little extra to get one).
There wasn't a glass provided in the room, so I had to go and buy one from the shop in order to pour myself a drink. There was a scary looking Rottweiler dog skulking around, but at least that means your room is unlikely to get robbed I guess. The lady at reception seemed helpful, she let me stay in my room until 2.30pm on the day I checked out, for an extra $10. The bar/restaurant seemed to be getting refurbished when i was there, I saw no one drinking there. There is a pool, but no loungers.
I don't think there are any decent hotels in this town. It all seems to be backpacker style sheds with no A/C. It is a shame because it is a cute little town with a gorgeous beach, but I could only tolerate this accommodation for one night before heading off to San Jose to have a bath!

• Liked — it is close to the beach
  • Disliked — the lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

The Lizard King Hotel is a great budget hotel. My girlfriend and I stayed here for $30 a night and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is owned by a mother and her son, who are both incredibly friendly. It seemed like no matter what hour it was the owners were there to answer questions or just chat with. The rooms are basic, but very roomy and had powerful fans to keep the place cool most of the day. The rooms surround a pool, which is small but refreshingly cool. The place is stocked with plastic chairs if you want to relax by the pool. The hotel is also nicely located just outside of downtown on the main road and is within a stones throw of three pretty good places to eat. The place includes an internet cafe, which for reasonable price will give you about the fastest internet you'll find in puerto viejo. Although the hotel includes a "restaurant" I wouldn't recommend eating in with so many better options just a short walk away. The owners were telling me the most recent editions of Lonely Planet misquoted them on the prices, so don't be thrown off if your guide book doesn't match this review. I promise rooms aren't $80. All in all this was a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good budget option.

• Liked — owners and the pool
  • Disliked — construction noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lizard King Hotel Resort? Share your experiences!