“Not a bad hotel but not quite worth 4 stars...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lotus Garden

and 1 more site!
You added The Lotus Garden to your Saves list
The Lotus Garden
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   25 Mts South of Stanfords, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica (Formerly The Lotus Garden (Jordan's Jacuzzi Suites))   |
UK
“Not a bad hotel but not quite worth 4 stars...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This hotel is well located close to the beach and a short walk to the centre of town. It has a nice pool and an interesting garden-style layout. We stayed in one of the lower priced private double rooms ($40 for fan only). The room was spacious and quite clean although the fittings were basic and there were no mosquito nets. Perfectly adequate, but just didn't really impress.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bruxelles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was not sleeping in that hotel but I happened to enter the restaurant and met the Spanish Owners. They were really nice and we even spent time have beers together that night and the next night. If you are lucky, you can see a sloth in the tree of the garden, looks like the animal lives there or just likes that particular tree.
The cooks are local girls but they were trained by the previous asian owner and I have to say I had a delicious green thai curry that reminded me my trip in Thailand.
The decoration and the design of the restaurant and garden are also nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

For a couple of weeks me and my husband look for a hotel where to stay in Puerto Viejo for our anniversary and have the Lotus Garden in our minds.

After waiting for an email with some pics that were promise to us by a friendly lady, over the phone, which by the way we never get, we decide to stay for one night, which for us, was enough.

We must say that the hotel is quite a disappointment, although is a very unique structure, that for us with a little TLC it will become the gem that is hidden now.

In general some walls looks dirty, there were cockroaches, which i scare to death. Some mice makes us acknowledge their presence with noises during the night, the bed was incredible hard and uncomfortable. The bathroom has this huge bathtub that didn't work, and the halls floors are dirty as well.

We must say that our stay was worth because at our arrive we met the owner Raul, who is a very, incredible friendly person, making our stay lovely and warm. He gave us tips and information about the area, and also about some hidden places around the area as well.

In general this hotel is worth to stay for a night or two if you get a great room. Unfortunately not our case

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was traveling through Puerto Viejo after a nearby yoga retreat experience, looking to stay in town for a few nights when the Lotus Garden was recommended to me. After a quick look I stayed in their two story Samurai room for three nights. The room reminded me of a luxurious tree house equipped with a room to entertain, powerful AC and of course the Jacuzzi, which I didn't use, but was certainly there. I gleamed in other rooms and it looked like they had many different types for all kinds of travelers. My room had a circular staircase! Jordan the Manager is an ex-pat who has lived there running the place for almost a decade and was very knowledgeable about the surroundings. The food was excellent and inexpensive, I ate most of my meals there. They accommodated my dietary preferences within each meal. I also took one of the tours that they had listed. The Chocolate or Cocoa tour. That was an experience that I recommend. Also there is a great surf break right across the street and up about 100 yards from The Lotus Garden. The best break on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica from what I understand. I read that in a Costa Rica for Dummies book. It was a clean consistent leftie, about 4-6 feet when I was there.

Room Tip: Samurai room would be great for a solo like me or a couple. It's in the back and quiet. There...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here mainly because the service was great. The manager Jordan was so helpful with directions, recommendations, and everything you need when traveling. For the price, which was $30 for our room split between the three of us with a private bathroom, it was great. The room was spacious and clean with a fan. The bathroom was dimly lit but that was the only downside. In the garden, there were three sloths which was cool to see everyday! There is also a pool and the restaurant is fairly priced with tasty food. Everyone was friendly so I would stay here again if ever I am backpacking through again.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few before you commit. Some may be nicer than others for the same price.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It is true that the Lotus Garden is outdated. The first room we got was poorly ventilated and there was one fan which hardly worked. However, the second night we switched rooms for the same price, and it was much better. We had a ceiling fan and two floor fans, and the room was a lot nicer. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. They are knowledgeable and helpful. The gardens and grounds are very beautiful. For the price, I think its a good deal, as long as you request a room with a ceiling fan or A/C. We peaked into the luxury rooms and those looked beautiful.

Room Tip: ask for a ceiling fan.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights here..the manager was very friendly and helpful and the location of this place was excellent. During our stay on the hotel grounds we saw sloths, lizards, tree frogs, crabs, tree snakes and butterflies...a really unique experience and pretty good value!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Lotus Garden? Share your experiences!