“Mariela is Awesome!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Totem Hotel Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Totem Hotel Beach Resort to your Saves list
Totem Hotel Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1,5 km south Puerto Viejo Beach Front | Playa Cocles, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 70403, Costa Rica   |
Watertown, MN
“Mariela is Awesome!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Rooms were clean and nice location to beautiful beach. What made this hotel good was management. Mariela, the manager went above and beyond to help us with anything we needed or any recommendations we asked. Loved the beach area more than other beaches in CR.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
cormacbr2, Gerente at Totem Hotel Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello sddenoma,
Thank you so much for your comments. I remember you. I appreciate it and it makes me happy because the objective of our labor is to make our clients feel comfortable like in home.
You will be welcome next time and anytime you come to our Hotel. It will be a pleasure for me can help you again

Best regards,

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Reading mixed reviews I was a little leery to book here but it was the only option available on very short notice. The room was clean and does not offer a tv. It smelled a little damp but that's something that we found in many hotels in Costa Rica. The jacuzzi was not in working order which was disappointing but there's an ocean across the street so we didn't really care. Loved the hammock area to relax in. The food was tasty and we got a 20% discount on one of our meals upon check-in at our room. For us the location was perfect as we don't like to be in the middle of it all but in a five minute drive or quick bike ride, you're in town with plenty to do. There is a cat that loves to share your food and a very friendly dog that might follow you to the beach for a game of stick. We are animal lovers and having pets in restaurants is a normal occurrence in CR, so it didn't bother us. The only thing that irritated me was the ants in our room. Then again, it's CR and there are bugs every where. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello NickyEric,

Thank you very much for letting know to the other people your experience with us. It is motivating when our labor is good enough for our guets.
I hope see you next time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights last January and the place is good,my overall expience was positive but I wasn't lucky enough with mother nature,the high tides wouldn't let me go into the water a single day.I'll give it a try again next year to see if I have better luck with that.

• Stayed January 2013
cormacbr2, Gerente at Totem Hotel Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Hi, how are you?
Thak you very much for your positive opinion. Next time we can help you to find some places on the beach that are better for swimming. Come back to us anytime you want... you will be welcome to our Hotel.
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in the totem. It wasnt that clean, betoveral was dirty, there was a worm in the shower, some ants on the buffet.
Waves in the ocean were to high to swim. Wasnt in the centre, so we had to walk 20min. Or to take the taxi for 5$
Breakfast was not lovely and just a small buffet. Dinner in the restaurant was good but there walked dogs/cats around. Normaly for puerto viejo, but not for us.
We wouldnt go to this place and hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
It's a shame to know that your stay with us has not satisfied at all, but it helps us to improve. Our website clearly states that the Hotel is located in Playa Cocles, 1.5 Km South from Puerto Viejo;
taxis get only $4 dollars and we always say the people "if you need a taxi, we call it at the reception", because it is the same taxi we always work with, in the case you have complains you can show up at the reception and we fix everyhing; maybe you get your taxi in the street and not ask for it at the reception. About the room, if you come to the reception and tell us what is happenning, we can mend it and try the rest of the travelers do not get a distorted view of reality.
Thak you very much for everything; we will take it into account.
La Linea de la Concepcion, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just back from Costa Rica and I have to say the totem is the best place where I stayed during the all trip. The location is amazing, just in front of the beautiful cocles beach, few minutes walking from puerto viejo. I have been lucky enough to sleep both in the standard rooms and in the suite and I have to say was impressed by the attention to details. The suites are in front of the Caribbean sea and I loved falling asleep and waking up by the sounds of the waves. The standard rooms are in the middle of an amazing tropical garden, which gives you the feeling of being in the middle of the jungle and actually....you are. The owners and the staff are available, friendly and very helpful, always ready to give advises on things to do. To summarize, I would say, if you are going to the Caribbean coast, this hotel is a must. A little paradise in the Caribbean Paradise. Simply perfect. Matteo

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Matteo for your comment and the vibe. Comments like yours are our engine to provide better service to all who visit us every day.
All of you will be welcome to our Hotel anytime you come back to us.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I just stayed 4 nights at the Totem Hotel in Puerto Viejo. I have to say it was hard choosing a hotel, not ever being in PV before, so I felt like it was all a crap shoot. But I think I won the game.

The Totem Hotel is a lovely property full of gardens. Like all places in the Caribbean, it's a bit damp, but any hotel is going to be that way here. You get good value at the Totem however. The rooms have an air conditioner. Plus, the rooms are large by any standard. I had a suite, which comprised 2 rooms, and a bathroom. And after looking at a few other hotels in the area out of curiosity, I felt lucky that I picked the Totem. The decor is nice and the property secure.

My room was right across from the Ocean, and it was nice sitting on the balconey in the morning and evening. There is a road between the beach and the hotel, so you do hear cars, and it's an obstructed view, but you do see it. Rooms at the back of the property may not be suites, but they'll be more quiet. (We had the misfortune of being there during a surf competition, and one night music played on the beach very loudly all night long. Terrible. But not the hotels fault. Even the girls in the restaurant were sleep deprived the next morning.)

PV is a great place for a get away, and I'd stay at the Totem again. Even though it's at Cocles, not in PV, it's only 1.5 KM away. You can get there quickly by bike. It's not safe to ride the bikes at night, but seems fine during the day. I especially enjoyed riding the bike to Manzanillo beach 2 days and eating at Maxi's-- a must! The bike ride into PV takes about 5 minutes, so you are close, but in a more quiet place.

Other good things about the Totem: Full breakfast. It was skimpy on the fruit. But otherwise great. Bike rentals. One day they ran out of bikes, and the nice folks at the front desk helped me arrange rentals from somewhere else that were delivered to the hotel. Natalie at the front desk was particulary helpful. When I said I wanted to do a night tour in the jungle, she went out of her way to arrange it. Lovely lady. The young man who rents the bikes was also nice and you could tell he truly loved PV. The nice rasta man that worked the desk at night was also great. The 2 daughters of the owners also work at the hotel, and were working so hard at breakfast every morning. Even when harried, they were still pleasant.

Down side: The restaurant is only open to 8. And they do run out of fish, so make your request early if you plan to eat there. Otherwise, it's not bad. (Other restaurants in the area that I can recommend are Mopri in PV for great and reasonable seafood. Try the soup and ceviche! Soda Johanna's if not bad and has good grilled fish. The well known Lidia's Place-- perhaps I expected more, but it's good and the service is nice. You'll find cheaper sodas though, off the main street of PV, that are excellent and you can eat for 2,500C or 3,500C easily. Stay away from the really touristy places for reasonable prices. Don't miss Maxi's though on Manzanillo beach! It was the best food we had while there.) Back to the hotel though, my downsides are so few. I do wish they'd get better pingpong equipment and better lighting on the table, but the very fact that they HAD a pingpong table was fun. If that's my main complaint, not too bad!

Other notes: Bring flashlights for walking around at night. Even on the property. A bit dim.

In short though. I love this hotel. Loved my room. Breakfast did it's job. The front desk was always willing to help, most of the time with a smile. I'd stay here again, and plan to do so in fact. :-)

Room Tip: Front rooms have partial ocean view but can be noisy.It was when we were there do to a surf tournam...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
cormacbr2, Gerente at Totem Hotel Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your great comments; It encourages us to be better every day. You will be welcome anytime you comeback to Totem Hotel.

san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at Totem Hotel for a few days, as I was on my way down to Bocas Del Toro.

This hotel is a great option for beach bums, it's right across the street from a great beach. It's also about a 10-15 minute walk to town. Our room and bathroom were big and clean, but dated. The water was hot. The wifi signal was weak.

I couldn't figure for the life of me figure out the the clientele at this hotel. There were young tourists from other South American countries. There were also 60+ americans who looked like they just got off the tour bus.

The food at the restaurant was really awful -- heavy, bland italian fare. The complimentary breakfast was pretty bad as well. I think I ate the soggiest pancake in the world.

Overall, I would not return to to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,
Your opinion is welcome, but in other reviews the people raving about the food at our restaurant, it was not to your liking but loved by many people who have been here. Anyway thank you for your opinion, we will take it into account.
Mariela Përez
Manager

Been to Totem Hotel Beach Resort? Share your experiences!