Fortunately due to a cancellation we found a place to stay for 3 nights, Dec 29/2012 to Jan 1/2013. Exited as the web looks amazing but the reality was about to show.
Up on arrival, it was explained how fantastic the place was, the importance of their green and ecological way of running the lodge. Great.
We got the garden house, which is the low end of the scale, even it cost 250 USD/Night. It has outdoor bathroom which is nice, but it does not make sense to advertise to have conscience on water usage when its impossible to control the water heating. Either it was boiling hot or very cold. So at the end you waist 2-3 more water than if the water would just run smoothly on a reasonable temperature.
The sink in the kitchen could not swallow the water. It stood there full for hours, nice smell after plate cleaning.
Sinks in bathrooms and kitchen is way too high, above standard measures, so kids cannot reach at all, (5 year old and properly until 6-7). Extremely uncomfortable height for a person of 160 cm to prepare food etc.
Road is just on the wall of the house, so you lay awake with traffic until traffic stops, which is basically not the case in Puerto Viejo. You can count cars instead of sleeping.
The toilet upstairs was basically sinking when you sat on it, and sorry I am not over weighted. My 5 year old could make the sound of sinking happening as well.
Reception is not available all time. Our daughters got sick (vomit) and not possible to reach anyone to have extra bed sheets. Not an extra set in the house, not a blanket. Fantastic.
The trails on the land is full of leaves and dirt.
The beach is not nice in-front of the land, unless you are not there to go and dip into the water.
Nice is overall there is no TV. Thanks for that so all can disconnect for a while. However in the times we live in, internet should be outside the reception area.
I cannot recommend this lodge, at least garden house, and if 1/2 dot was possible I would have given it.
Maybe this is ecologic in Holland, but for me who is living in Costa Rica this is crab and robbery.
There are plenty of options in Puerto Viejo, so look elsewhere if you go there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only tree house right on the beach of the southern Caribbean of Costa Rica. This is your best nature hotel and romantic hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Tree House Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tree House Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Tree House Lodge Costa Rica/Limon