“my home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Ruka Hostel

You added La Ruka Hostel to your Saves list
La Ruka Hostel
Box 297-7304 | correo pto Viejo, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 231-7304, Costa Rica   |
Chilliwack, Canada
“my home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

La Ruka is no questions asked the place to stay if you come to Puerto Viejo! It was never actually in my plans to go to Puerto Viejo and i cant be more thankful that I ended up there. To sum up how amazing the owners Danni and Dave are and this hostel, I left Puerto Viejo four times and everytime found myself getting on a bus back to La Ruka! I travelled to the top of Costa Rica and back twice...went to Panama and came back...and in the end, a day before I was suppose to fly home, i extended my ticket and went of course...back to La Ruka. If you don't stay at La Ruka your missing out and missing out on some amazing people. If your looking for good vibes and easy going people this is it. You will meet friends of a lifetime, and nights out with the La Ruka crew and backpackers is always a BLAST!!!
Whether you want to rent some surfs boards and hit the beach, have some beers and be a part of there open jam on Wednesdays or chill out in a hammock and read a book....no matter what it is this is the place! I am already back home counting my money up and saving to go back.
I'm sure you will run into many backpackers like me who have returned many many times !
They also have a facebook page if you are trying to get ideas of whats going on there when you come to town!
ENJOY THE CARIBBEAN! its a beautiful place
pura vida

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I Staid here for a couple of days...It was great so close to the Beach. Also there was hiking trail a cross the street. All the staff where great. Plus there was a great vibe, Everyone there was friends. It was a perfect location if you felt like going out for a drink it was 5 min away if you wanted to ride to other beaches 20 min. You have to remember this is a hostel not the w hotel. if you want a.c then maybe the other side of costa rica is better. For those who are backpacking and trying to see amazing beaches and meet amazing new friends go here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Nice clean and spacious hostel, competitive rates, friendly vibe, good kitchen, great location. We only stayed for two nights, but we had a good time. The family dinner potluck is a good idea. We had already eaten earlier, but enjoyed seeing the feast unfold.

Room Tip: If you are travelling as a couple, the private rooms are a great deal at $25. However, you may want...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
East Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

La Ruka has not only a welcoming environment but I felt that I will return because of them!!! The rooms were clean and VERY REASONABLE kitchen was fine but now being remodeled. I Will have to come back to check out final outcome.

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my girlfriend and about 6-7 other friends. First of I want to thank Danni (sorry for spelling) and Dave, who ran the hostel, 2 of the nicest people we've met on our trip. They made our stay brilliant and did everything to help us enjoy our stay.

Danni is a nurse and I had some breathing difficulty when I was there, she was brilliant and really helped me and went out of her way to help.

Both Dave and Danni were full of recommendations for what we could do and they were all great.

The location is great, it's close enough to the centre that you can wander in but nicely distanced that you're not right in the middle of the franticness.

A communal kitchen and eating area was great. Free wifi and lovely rooms.

It was really interesting hearing of the work that Dave and Danni are doing to the hostel, what they hae already done and what they are doing, I have no doubt this place will be a gem for some time to come.

Good luck guys and thanks for a great stay.

Joe

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We came to Puerto Viejo wanting to stay at Rocking J's but after looking there we decided it was not for us, we walked back down the road and walked past La Ruka and was drawn into it. As soon as we talked to the owners we wanted to stay.
Cool atmosphere and extremely helpful with information about the town and how to travel around Costa Rica.

Great place!!

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 5 nights, wonderful atmosphere, very relaxing and good people, quiet. 10 minute walk from everywhere- town center, good beaches and partys. Cheap budget.
Very recommended If you are planning to stay in puerto viecho.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to La Ruka Hostel? Share your experiences!