We were visiting as a family (all adults), looking for a relaxing but culturally authentic experience for our first time in Costa Rica - and that's exactly what we found.
Location: perfect. You're surrounded by nature and barely 5 mins walk to a gorgeous private beach. The lodge is far enough out of Puerto Viejo that there was no noise from the town, but close enough to walk in, and there are a number of bars and restaurants nearby.
Atmosphere: Between them, the staff and volunteers spoke English, German, Spanish, Catalan and French, so travellers from all over the world would be catered for here. We found everyone friendly and more than willing to help if we had any questions. The lodge would be suitable for families, couples, groups of friends or individuals. People who are huge partiers would probably not like it, as it's fairly quiet.
Food: The breakfast was simple and fantastic - fruit platters and freshly squeezed juice of your choosing, eggs as you like them and bread with cheeses. I highly recommend having a dinner at the lodge during your stay. The owner's family prepared a veritable feast and we chatted and drank wine for a good part of the night.
A couple of people in our party became ill (nothing to do with conditions at the lodge!) and the owner, Wolf, was more than accommodating in finding them medicine and food they could eat.
As for some of the negative reviews on here...it's clear these people were looking for a ritzy resort experience where they could have the exact same amenities as they do at home, with the benefits of a beach and jungle. The lodge is not luxurious, but it is clean, comfortable, surrounded by nature, and feels like a home while you're there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wolf personally oversaw the planning, construction and design of the lodge. He draws his inspiration on the simplicity of the local architecture. – Wolf’s idea was to maintained the simplicity of the local life style and live in harmony with the surrounding nature, so us to destroy as little as possible the original flora hence its habitat – Wolf’s long standing relationship with and commitment to Playa Chiquita community is reflected in all aspects of the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Playa Chiquita Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Chiquita Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Playa Chiquita Lodge Costa Rica/Limon