“Absolutely Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Agapi

You added Agapi to your Saves list
Agapi
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   800 Metros Sur de Puerto Viejo Camino a Playa Cocles, Puerto Viejo | America, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 687304, Costa Rica   |
Kelseyville, California
“Absolutely Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

After our first (blind) choice of hotel in Puerto Viejo turned out to be primarily a breeding ground for mold, we strolled up the road past Rockin' J's and wound up at Agapi. We explained to them that we chose not to stay at the first spot due to the moldy conditions, and they made all the appropriate noises about how you had to air out rooms every day, whether you were renting them or not. The room was well-ventilated and had no foul smells, and included breakfast, so we decided to stay. Our particular room lacked air conditioning but had a good ceiling fan, so we kept it opened up. The room's amenities included a cheap Chinese television and a GE fridge, a double bed and two singles.

After going out for dinner, we came back to find that our shutters had been closed for us, and the room smelled heavily of mold. The bathroom was bad enough to where you wanted to hold your breath the entire time you were in it. Our room was very close to the pool, and some rude guests were very loud by the pool until late in the evening, to the point that I could hear them through ear plugs. There was no hot water whatsoever, and the mattresses were the worst we've experienced, possibly ever, with almost no padding over large, rough springs. In-In-room internet access worked only after manually specifying my own DNS server; without this bit of magic you'll be visiting nothing at all. The pool is very small, and was overchlorinated to the point of affecting my sinuses. The included breakfast was barely competent, including overcooked eggs and a cost of 500 Colones (almost a dollar) for coffee. We did not have to arrange for breakfast ahead of time as some reviews have indicated, so there has been some progress, but the strange smell that others have complained about is black mold, which has been known to cause severe respiratory problems. Or perhaps it is raw sewage, the smell of which came on heavily in the morning, apparently coming from right outside our window. It's difficult to find a hotel in Puerto Viejo without mold, but that is still no excuse, especially for acting as if they had taken the steps necessary to combat it when we were quite explicit about not wanting to experience it. Two other rooms we looked at the next day also had severe mold problems, including their most expensive room (the Suite.)

Finally, the practice on this part of the beachfront is to pile up dead leaves and fallen branches on the seaward side, and light it on fire. This is a gigantic failure given the prevailing winds, which are on-shore. The result is that our room was filled with smoke when we got back for the evening; the entire hotel complex was smoky for hours while they were burning. Anyone trying to catch an afternoon nap would be coughing from the smoke of damp forest materials. Worst hotel experience EVER.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Very irresponsable people !!!! Specially the owner Cecilia, after having email confirmation and being on the phone, she then came back and said "you may be confuse, I do not have anything and I never sent anything to you" !! But worst not only happened to me but to a hole group of people. Later I tryed calling and she simply set the answering machine to answer...... Not only caused missing reservations but rearrange plans from scratch just one week before the trip. This simply not a serious Hotel

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels

NYC, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I live in nearby Bocas Del Toro, Panama, and frequently travel to Puerto Viejo, CR for mini-vacations. I was super delighted to discover Agapi. Cecelia and Tasos are wondeful hosts (Cecilia's famous cappucino w/organic chocolate is a must)!!
They have a large variety of rooms, apartments, and even a tree-house. All the rooms were spacious and clean , (ask about the Suites with jacuzzi baths)!
Located right on the beach and only a 5 minute bike ride from the downtown restaurants and nightlife.
Make sure to take a rinse under their enormous outside tree shower, stroll through the garden, go to own of their yoga classes, and take pictures of the wildlife-(I saw Sloth's two days in a row during my stay)!
I can't say enough nice things about Agapi and its owners . . .I can't wait to get back . . .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I've lived in Costa Rica for four years and stay at Agapi 3 or 4 times a year. Sure, it is not upscale but for the price, the rooms are clean, spacious and the AC is good. They are close to town and Tassos and Ceclia are very hopeful.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

I've spent 7 nights at the Agapi in the company of Cecilia and Tassos and honestly do not want to leave!! When I arrived as a single, female traveller I was feeling quite daunted at the prospect of spending such a long stretch of time in one place. I needn't have worried. Cecilia took me under her wing and showed me the hidden secrets of the area revealing the kind of hospitality that Costa Rica is famed for. My room was spacious and clean and each evening the ocean lulled me to sleep.The Agapi is unique for many reasons, from the family of sloths living in the trees within the property, to the early morning yoga classes held in the sea facing veranda. Cecilia will go out of her way to ensure you have a magical time and is happy to organise day trips [if you're lucky you might be able to hitch a ride with her to a secret waterfall, free and fabulously spontaneous] and share her knowledge of Puerto Viejo. I can highly recommend the candlelight massage, another one off perk of this hotel. My advice to anyone staying here is to take time to speak to Cecilia and Tassos as they are very warm and welcoming and have much to offer travellers in search of an authentic local experience. Their humour provides sunshine even if the tropical rain is falling!

I will always remember the Agapi with fondness and am in no doubt that I will return to see my friends very soon.

Tess

• Liked — The hospitality and personal service shown by the owners
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2008

The grounds are nice and the view is quite nice as well.

I saw the review that complained about the sheets and to be perfectly honest, I thought complaining about sheets was petty. I should have listened, but I had no idea how bad they could be. The pillows were disgusting and the beds were a total disaster. You might wish to bring your own bedding. They provide sheets, but no blankets.

The hotel is described as "beach front", but if you wish to swim, you can't do that at the hotel. The first floor rooms are very dark, so perhaps try for the 2nd floor.

If you want to stay at this hotel, whatever you do, don't send a deposit. Visit it first, check out the beds, and negotiate a price if you think this is the spot for you.

There are several hotels in the area that are nicer that are much less expensive.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — the beds
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

I am just now reviewing the 1-2 dozen places I have stayed in the puerto viejo. I stayed at Agapi twice in the past few years. Owners were very nice and friendly, Rooms were spacious, both times I had ocean view room. They are very dark however and not rooms you would want to hang out in. Close to town so you can walk but not in town.

• Liked — Friendly owners, clos to town
  • Disliked — Very Dark rooms
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Agapi? Share your experiences!