“Once in Lifetime experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kasha

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hotel Kasha
You added Hotel Kasha to your Saves list
Playa Chiquita | 5 km. south of Puerto Viejo, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 1991, Costa Rica   |
laniquelguna
“Once in Lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

great food, wonderful service, heart of the jungle, beaches within 50 meters - snorkeling, hiking, terrific people. owner a perfect gentleman and very knowledge. service including excellent and friendly American bartender and polite and funny waiter

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

We booked the entire Kasha for our wedding weekend, and it was the best decision we could have taken. Even though there were some mishaps, both we and our guests had a wonderful time.

There was something for everyone: those of us with kids hung out at the pool in the morning, while my wedding guests kept the Morpho bar rocking till the wee hours. Nico is the kindest and most accommodating bartender I've ever met!

Our wedding dinner and party in the gardens under a full moon was a dream come true, and the dinner was praised to high heavens by everyone - delicious! (That said, for a hotel with such outstanding dining, the breakfast leaves a lot to be desired.)

We had some ups and downs, but our wedding was a huge success, everyone had a lovely time, and if I had to do it all over again I would definitely choose the Kasha.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I was not sure on how the reaction would be by the group when we arrived in San Jose, Costa Rica but within minutes of arriving, it was evident that the warm and friendly feeling did exist. The four of us have traveled to several countries and we have been fortunate to have met wonderful people in our travels and all I can say is that this country possesses some of the most warm and passionate people I have ever met. Our first indication of comfort level is when our chauffeur, Juan met us to take us to our first lodging of the trip. Now, you can immediately tell that this trip and the vacation package arranged by Louis, the owner of the Hotel Kasha, were going to be great. Juan with all of his passion for his country should be knighted as the “Welcoming Ambassador” of Costa Rica.

Day “2” of our guided tour consisted of a visit to a beautiful dairy farm outside of San Jose. Shortly after that visit, we now made our journey across the country, through the “rain forest” to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica and arriving at our destination, Hotel Kasha in Puerto Viejo. Now what made this road trip exciting besides the beautiful scenery was the education about the country and the great things to see do and taste. Juan was a fantastic guide.

Once we arrive at Hotel Kasha, I finally got to meet Louis the owner, manager, chef, and the man of all trades. Louis shows us around the property and eventually to our bungalows. Once we unpacked and settled in, we walked around the back of the bungalows to see the beautiful vegetation. This was our first opportunity to see the monkeys up in the “huge” trees. Now little did we know that later, I mean much later like 4 AM the next day that the “Howler Monkeys” would be announcing their presence. I have never heard such a loud sound. It gave you the impression that they were standing just outside your window. Another memory that I will never forget is how beautiful this area is. The plant life is breath-taking and “huge”.

Well now we started to get hungry and thirsty so we made our short walk to the "Magic Ginger Restaurant", a place that is priceless when it comes to friendship, excellent cuisine and outstanding drinks. We now proceeded to get know Louis and his staff, Nico and Ronnie and started to realize that this was the beginning of a great time for our stay at Hotel Kasha. If there is one thing you will take back home and seems to be the theme is that you should relax and enjoy life. Ronnie would always use his favorite word – “Chillaxing“. They just love their country.

Now there is one thing that you will learn from Louis is that enjoying excellent cuisine requires a certain pace when consuming. I believe we all had great intentions but the different dishes were so good that it was hard to slow down. I experienced some of the best prepared fish dishes I have ever had. Try the Sea Bass with Louis’s special sauce. My wife had the best chicken curry she has ever had. “EXCELLENT cuisine Louis” – you are a great chef. Also, another interesting point to make is that if you let Louis do his thing, you be surprised by the entrée and the history behind the ingredients.

Upon leaving Hotel Kasha, we left with memories and meeting some outstanding people that love to share their passion of their world that they live in. We will miss them but who knows, we might be back. We will always stay in contact.

Room Tip: Contact Louis
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

I was a follower on a trip planned by our good friends Jim, Sue and my wife Debbie. I would have never thought to go to Costa Rica and I honestly had no idea where I was when we arrived at Hotel Kasha. Holy smokes what a place! Costa Rica has leaves as big as bus! Our group has gone to many countries around the world and let me tell you that Costa Rica and Hotel Kasha are on my short list of places to return to as soon as we can. Starting with being picked up by Juan at the airport it was obvious that the people of Costa Rica are passionate about their country. Juan made us feel welcomed and safe while educating us about all of the great things to see do and taste while in his
homeland. Juan is a guy who loves life and wants to share it with you.

Upon arriving at Hotel Kasha we met Louis the owner, manager and chef. He showed us around his hotel that is obviously his pride and joy... you will not be disappointed. The grounds are gorgeous with obvious care being employed to make the least impact on the jungle which is literally wrapped around you. We saw dozens of "Howler Monkeys" as soon as we got to our tidy cozy rooms. More on the monkeys later. There is no way to describe all of the plant and animal life that is every where you look. You simply have to come and see for yourselves.

After unpacking and getting settled in we walked back to the "Magic Ginger Restaurant" a place that can best be summed up by saying characters welcome. In it were people from all over the world doing what Ronnie calls "chillaxing" his combo word for chilling and relaxing. Pretty good word. Ronnie was our waiter and we were his very first customers on his very first night. Ronnie took very good care of us and his cheery personality is typical of what you find at Hotel Kasha. Nicco our bartender makes makes great drinks while telling you all about the things to do, places to go and places not to waste your time on. He loves Costa Rica plane and simple and wants you to do the same.

Don't be in a hurry for dinner. Louis is creating something special and it can't be rushed. Besides it is just fun to hang out and when it does show up... well after two nights of eating his art projects I quit ordering and just said surprise me! I had complete confidence that I was going to get something off the freaking charts amazing tasting good. Cripes can I gush any more. It's that good. I'm not a food critic but I'm thinking about becoming one.

We all left Costa Rica in love with the land and the people and a nagging urge to go back a.s.a.p. Another thanks to the young grounds keeper who came running up to our cottage to show us a sloth, two, three or four toed I can't remember but we got a close up look at it and it was cool.
Many thanks to Louis and his staff at Kasha.

P.S. do some research on the "Howler Monkeys" before you get there. If you have not experienced these 15 lb. demons from the depths well... I warned you. Notice the sleep quality rating.
-Dan

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent a week at Hotel Kasha and had the most
fabulous vacation ever. We never expected so many surprises from the
all inclusive package. Food at the Magic Ginger Restaurant is exceptional,
as well as the Morpho Bar, with the best piña coladas I’ve had. Our
room was spotless, the gorgeous pool area, and the amazing service. We were treated as family…
Hotel Kasha is the place if you want to really enjoy a memorable vacation
and be pampered day and night. Once there, you’ll never want to leave!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Kasha Hotel with the Magic Ginger Restaurant proved to be more than we dreamed about when planning our second honeymoon! We booked an all-inclusive package and it was the most wonderful vacation we've ever spent! Our accommodations were secure, peaceful, and relaxed. Our host, Louis, and his staff were welcoming and endearing. Louis, an extensively trained chef, prepared the most delicious and artfully presented meals which we thoroughly and leisurely enjoyed. From traditional Costa Rican dishes to his own spectacular creations, no meal was complete without his specialty banana/rum ice cream! Marie and her family, part of Louis' staff, did a superb job of keeping everything clean and tidy and making sure we experienced the warmth of Costa Rican hospitality. Every time we returned to our little "home" we found it scrubbed shiny with special added touches like exotic bouquets of freshly picked flowers. Yenovie, our waitress, was lovely and most respectful and went out of her way to make us feel at home and to share her Costa Rican culture with us.
Kasha Hotel is a gem in a colourful, tropical paradise! It is within a short walking distance to several of the best beaches in the world for swimming, snorkeling, and surfing or for just cooling your feet in the soft ocean sand. Louis and his staff shared local sights to experience; things we would not have discovered on on own, like hidden coves and caves, and the quirky habits of different wildlife.

Through the hotel we booked several tours with Terraventuras in Peurto Viejo. We zip-lined over the canopy, swam under a giant waterfall, and visited the native BriBri reservation.

In our short ten day stay at Kasha we met many warm and wonderful people, some locals, like Iris who always gave us a ride on her golf cart, and other dreamers and adventurers like ourselves. We felt welcomed at Kasha and Louis, his staff, and the community found a special place in our hearts, which we cherish!

If you are thinking of a unique holiday or having a relaxing retreat away from our busy, busy worlds, check out Louis' website at Kasha Hotel,Costa Rica. ...and when you go, don't forget to try the ice cream!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Located on the cooler, less crowded Caribbean coast is the funky little town of Puerto Viejo de Limon. The town boasts an interesting mix of Ticos, Rastas, ex-pats, surfers, and tourists from around the world. Just a short way south of that bustling and sometimes noisy town is the quiet oasis of Hotel Kasha. Not a traditional hotel, Hotel Kasha offers several simple, but, impeccably clean cabins for rent. The cabins are located at the back of the property under towering shade trees. You will find the resident troop of howler monkeys endlessly entertaining. They also provide an excellent morning wake-up service. Those same shade trees treated us to Toucans, Parrots, Oropendulas, and many other tropical birds. Did I mention the sloth? It also seemed to be a resident of the Hotel Kasha property. Nature lovers take note....all of this and no guide required! Also, after a day of beaching or sight seeing, there is a lovely pool area you can enjoy.
Now to the food. If you can't stand another bite of Gallo Pinto, you are in for a treat! Try The Magic Ginger, Hotel Kasha's surprising restaurant.. Louis Ducoudray is the charming owner and chef at Hotel Kasha. Trained at the Culinary Institute of America, Louis prides himself with unique offerings featuring amazing sauces, sometimes exotic flavors, perfectly cooked meat, fish, and fowl, and, serves all with eye pleasing presentation. I don't usually care for fish. However, I ate Louis's sea bass twice in five days. Heaven! I stayed at Kasha on an all inclusive package. Even with three meals a day I was never disappointed. Truly memorable dining. By the way, the all inclusive even includes drinks from the full bar. Now that is unusual! And, Niko, the bar tender, makes a wicked pina colada. Thank you Louis. You and your staff helped make my fifth trip to the Caribbean coast my best!

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Hotel Kasha? Share your experiences!