“Nice quiet hotel a bit out of town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cariblue Hotel

You added Cariblue Hotel to your Saves list
Cariblue Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Cocles, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 7304, Costa Rica   |
Grecia, Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Nice quiet hotel a bit out of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed there three nights. Rooms are simple but nice and the grounds are VERY nice. It is between five and ten minutes from the centre of town but not sure I'd want to stay in the centre of town anyway.
The staff was professional yet friendly and helpful and most speak english.
The included buffet breakfast was not fancy but quite good and definitely a solid meal. The restaurant is a bit overpriced IMHO but that seems to be true throughout the town.
I would definitely consider staying there again if and when I return to PV.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I just stayed 4 nights at the Totem Hotel in Puerto Viejo. I have to say it was hard choosing a hotel, not ever being in PV before, so I felt like it was all a crap shoot. But I think I won the game.

The Totem Hotel is a lovely property full of gardens. Like all places in the Caribbean, it's a bit damp, but any hotel is going to be that way here. You get good value at the Totem however. The rooms have an air conditioner. Plus, the rooms are large by any standard. I had a suite, which comprised 2 rooms, and a bathroom. And after looking at a few other hotels in the area out of curiosity, I felt lucky that I picked the Totem. The decor is nice and the property secure.

My room was right across from the Ocean, and it was nice sitting on the balconey in the morning and evening. There is a road between the beach and the hotel, so you do hear cars, and it's an obstructed view, but you do see it. Rooms at the back of the property may not be suites, but they'll be more quiet. (We had the misfortune of being there during a surf competition, and one night music played on the beach very loudly all night long. Terrible. But not the hotels fault. Even the girls in the restaurant were sleep deprived the next morning.)

PV is a great place for a get away, and I'd stay at the Totem again. Even though it's at Cocles, not in PV, it's only 1.5 KM away. You can get there quickly by bike. It's not safe to ride the bikes at night, but seems fine during the day. I especially enjoyed riding the bike to Manzanillo beach 2 days and eating at Maxi's-- a must! The bike ride into PV takes about 5 minutes, so you are close, but in a more quiet place.

Other good things about the Totem: Full breakfast. It was skimpy on the fruit. But otherwise great. Bike rentals. One day they ran out of bikes, and the nice folks at the front desk helped me arrange rentals from somewhere else that were delivered to the hotel. Natalie at the front desk was particulary helpful. When I said I wanted to do a night tour in the jungle, she went out of her way to arrange it. Lovely lady. The young man who rents the bikes was also nice and you could tell he truly loved PV. The nice rasta man that worked the desk at night was also great. The 2 daughters of the owners also work at the hotel, and were working so hard at breakfast every morning. Even when harried, they were still pleasant.

Down side: The restaurant is only open to 8. And they do run out of fish, so make your request early if you plan to eat there. Otherwise, it's not bad. (Other restaurants in the area that I can recommend are Mopri in PV for great and reasonable seafood. Try the soup and ceviche! Soda Johanna's if not bad and has good grilled fish. The well known Lidia's Place-- perhaps I expected more, but it's good and the service is nice. You'll find cheaper sodas though, off the main street of PV, that are excellent and you can eat for 2,500C or 3,500C easily. Stay away from the really touristy places for reasonable prices. Don't miss Maxi's though on Manzanillo beach! It was the best food we had while there.) Back to the hotel though, my downsides are so few. I do wish they'd get better pingpong equipment and better lighting on the table, but the very fact that they HAD a pingpong table was fun. If that's my main complaint, not too bad!

Other notes: Bring flashlights for walking around at night. Even on the property. A bit dim.

In short though. I love this hotel. Loved my room. Breakfast did it's job. The front desk was always willing to help, most of the time with a smile. I'd stay here again, and plan to do so in fact. :-)

Room Tip: Front rooms have partial ocean view but can be noisy.It was when we were there do to a surf tournam...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
cormacbr2, Gerente at Cariblue Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your great comments; It encourages us to be better every day. You will be welcome anytime you comeback to Totem Hotel.

Mariela Pérez
Manager
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at Totem Hotel for a few days, as I was on my way down to Bocas Del Toro.

This hotel is a great option for beach bums, it's right across the street from a great beach. It's also about a 10-15 minute walk to town. Our room and bathroom were big and clean, but dated. The water was hot. The wifi signal was weak.

I couldn't figure for the life of me figure out the the clientele at this hotel. There were young tourists from other South American countries. There were also 60+ americans who looked like they just got off the tour bus.

The food at the restaurant was really awful -- heavy, bland italian fare. The complimentary breakfast was pretty bad as well. I think I ate the soggiest pancake in the world.

Overall, I would not return to to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,
Your opinion is welcome, but in other reviews the people raving about the food at our restaurant, it was not to your liking but loved by many people who have been here. Anyway thank you for your opinion, we will take it into account.
Mariela Përez
Manager
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at Cariblue in November 2012. We found the staff to be accommodating and professional. Anything we needed they were happy to provide if possible. Loved Elmer at the front desk!!

Grounds and pool are well kept but it would have been nice if the hot tub was hot and working correctly.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

A wonderful hotel that is surrounded by lush vegetation, and a beach right across the road. The beach is beautiful but there are huge waves and a very strong riptide. Not advisable unless you are a surfer.

Chairs (any kind) to sit on the beach were uavailable, either for rent or to purchase, and sitting on a towel was not an option for us. Even in the hotel areas there very few lounge chairs. The hammocks were very comfortable and made up for the lack of the chairs in the hotel area.

The restaurant had delicious food and the menu was varied. You can tell this is a family owned hotel and the family makes sure everything is done correctly. Very acommodating staff who showed genuine concern for our well being. When I had a upset stomach one night, the che made some food that I would be able to eat on his own initative.

This hotel is near to everything and well worth a visit. would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
cormacbr2, Gerente at Cariblue Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive comments.

It is a pleasure to know you are happy with the services of Totem Hotel. The wellbeing of our clients is the most important for us.
See you next time.

Mariela Pérez
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We love the Hotel Cariblue. We have had a wonderful experience in this beautiful place.
The service is excellent, the food is delicious, the pool is very rich and all the staff is very friendly.
The rooms are always clean and have a beautiful garden.
We return to this place as soon as possible ... is the best place in the Caribbean

• Stayed January 2013
Meridian, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This has the best beach access in the area. You are just steps away from the beach. They also have a wonderful surf shop that gives great lessons. We had the suite rooms that are huge and can easily sleep a family. Our room had 1 king and 2 queen beds and walked straight out to the pool. It is well worth the extra money for the suites. The staff was excellent and very kind and helpful. AC worked great the entire stay. The resturant had very good food and we ate there several times. Parking is secure and we also felt safe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cariblue Hotel? Share your experiences!