“Unique!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Costa de Papito

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel La Costa de Papito to your Saves list
Hotel La Costa de Papito
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Beach Road, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 10010, Costa Rica   |
Costa Rica
“Unique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I just spent two nights at La Costa de Papito. The word that pops up is "unique." I love the creative artwork that decorates it. Even the furniture is a creative art. The paintings of the Caribbean culture remind me of the area's rich history. The whole place has a feel of...live creativity. It's so interesting!
The staff are very friendly and make me feel like I am part of the family.
And, forgive me veggie lovers, but the breakfast sausage is the best in Costa Rica! Ha ha!
The dining/bar area is warm, glowing, and cozy. Perfect!
One feels safe and cared for.
Thank you, Costa de Papito!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

AMAZING PLACE...

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a couple.
We were greeted with a frozen drink after checking in and taken to our bungalow.
The bungalow was so cute, tucked away with terrace and hammock.

Breakfast was great, had something for everyone and had no complaints.

We stayed here for dinner one night, food was lovely alot of choice and cocktail menu was even better (have a great happy hour too)

Henry on reception is the kindest, sweetest guy !! so polite and helpful. We also met the owner who was lovely man too.

would recommend hiring bikes to go to down to the main town, the beach is across the road and you can hire towels from reception.

Just make sure if your in Puerto Viejo you stay at this place !!!!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are great, unique quirky bungalows !!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

La Costa offers bungalows for couples or families--each one more unique than the other built with local hardwoods and handcrafted with inlaid tiles and beautiful woodwork. The location is a short bit from town--in itself a great destination--and lies directly across from a beautiful white sand beach. Staff help you rent bikes, surfboards and snorkeling gear or set you up with tours of the jungle canopy or nearby national parks. We did all of these things, but best of all was just lying in the hammock listening to the parrots and monkeys and other native residents--amazing sounds. We had a sloth come down a tree near our porch one morning as we were having our coffee. What an experience! Did a massage that same morning at the spa, and after a day at the beach, had dinner at La Costa's restaurant. The coconut shrimp was out of this world. In all, a great stay in a magical place I look forward to returning to soon.

Room Tip: Staff are very accommodating. Just tell them your preferences or needs and they will help.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

What a gorgeous place to stay!
La Costa de Papito was such a great suprise for us.

The bungalows themselves are fantastic- very unique and very cute. It was so amazing to wake up in a log bungalow to the sounds of the jungle. The only negative is that there were cracks in the walls that allowed mosquitos in at night. Although there is a moquito net, be sure to wear bug spray to bed.

The staff are all really friendly, helping us sort out trips and shuttles.

Bear in mind that if you don't have a car it is around 1.7km walk into town, which was a positive and negative at the same time.

We also used the beauty salon to get massages. Honestly, that was the only part that let it down. The massages were way too expensive for the quality delivered, I got the impression the girl giving my massage was self taught.

Other than that, the place is great, definitely a different sort of experience, we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our family of five stayed at this bungalow getaway for 6 nights and had the most amazing time! When we first arrived we were greeted with a special frozen drink and were led to our 2 bedroom bungalow deep in the forest. We had hummingbirds everywhere to greet us, along with a friendly sloth up in the tree above us. There were large iguanas in the trees as well as several toucans. I have 3 boys ages 19, 16 and 11 and they had an amazing time hanging out in the hammock on the porch or playing pool at the restaurant area. The beach was right across the street and the town only 25 minute walk. The staff were amazing and would go out of their way to help. We couldn't go snorkeling due to the weather but we were able to exchange it for a 4 hour hike thru a national park. It was an incredible experience. I have been in many different countries throughout my career and can say that this Costa Rica trip was one of my favorite. The breakfast and other meals at the restaurant were great and the facilities are superb when compared to others in the area. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to visit the area to experience the laid back life without the hassles of the modern world.

Room Tip: The rainy season is the time to go, we only had 2 days of rain and that was only a few hours. The p...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words. What a pleasure it was to spend the week with this family! On some occasions we have guests who are a 'perfect fit' for the our hotel and the area and this was one of those times.
I was so happy that the wildlife was active while they were here. We had recommended the Jaguar Rescue Center and, even though there is no jaguar!!, they enjoyed, as I do, being inside with the baby monkeys! I believe one of the monkeys is still pining for Brandon, their eldest son.
The kids were great and we saw alot of them as they were sharpening their pool playing skills while here. I suspected one of the boys might be a pool shark and recommended he watch Paul Newman in 'The Hustler'!
Once again, we thank you and hope you will be able to return and spend some more time with us here.

Best,.
Kitty
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just got back from a 10 day vacation in Costa Rica. 6 of those days were spent at La Costa de Papito in Puerto Viejo. This was my 3rd and best visit. Did more exploring this time - both ocean and jungle (great tips from hotel staff). My list of Creatures I Have Seen is now much longer. Most evenings I visited the bar/restaurant - food and overall vibe is excellent. Everyone I met had high praise as well.
I feel like a younger man..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

After being trapped in a different hotel in PV. This hotel reached out and offered the best rates they could to me and my family. They were warm and the grounds are truly beautiful. The staff was exceptional at assisting me with any questions I had.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hotel La Costa de Papito? Share your experiences!