“Amazing place” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Carbon 1, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
USA
“Amazing place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

What an amazing place. Even in the rainy month of November it was one of the most increadible experiences I have had. Being here places you not just close to nature but in nature. The food is fantastic and the people you meet are wonderful. Stayed for a week but could easily have stayed another month.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Merritt Island Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

I attended Samasati Nature retreat during the third week of August. I came to reflect de-stress, reflect on some things, and to tune into nature and healthy living. Samasati achieved all of these goals. At Samasati, the day starts early and ends early. I attended a 1 1/2 hour yoga class at 6:30 am and 5:00 pm each day. The yoga instructor Gita was just wonderful. The yoga studio was down a hill to a building on stilts, with screen walls engulfed by beautiful vegetation. At 6:30 am in August it was just getting light out, so the moring hue was awesome. It also gets dark early this time of year. Around 6 pm it gets dark. one evening during our yoga class, the power went off. Gita lit numerous candles and placed encircled the yoga studio with them. Thus we did our practice under candlelight. the massage therapist Vilma was also very nice and caring. After the second massage, I could really notice the tension in my shoulders disapating. The manager was also very nice and the vegetarian food was some of the best I ever tasted. Also, it was also nice to be among other like minded people interested in yogo and personal development.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I spent a week here on the top floor of Bungalow 9 high up facing the top of trees. The howler monkeys woke me up in the morning, and with my binoculars I saw the toucans the first morning I was there and many times afterward. There are no windows, just screens so I felt at one with nature, listening to all the jungle sounds as I fell asleep at night and woke up in the morning. At night it was a little eerie as the lizards pressed against the screens and there was the sound of scratching. But I felt very safe. The food was delicious prepared fresh everyday by local people who worked at Samasati. The view from the dining room was of the every changing weather over the Caribbean, sometimes clouds, sometimes fog and even sun. The yoga was gentle and the teacher was kind and attentive. The massage woman who was there at the time was sweet, and sensitive. Everyone on the staff was attentive and accommodated all my needs. Originally, I signed up for only one yoga a day, but it was so easy to take two yoga classes each day. I fell into the routine so quickly. I loved the eco excursions which were included. I especially loved the horseback riding on the beach. It had been a dream of mine to do this since college. I enjoyed the ability to go into Puerto Viejo to the beach with the free shuttle each day. And, most importantly everyone who came to Samasati was delightful to be around. I made some lasting friends. I highly recommend Samasati for a relaxing, joyful, spiritually uplifting and physically challenging vacation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Jersey_RN76
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

This yoga retreat was truly a retreat. Nestled away from the hustle and bustle of life. you are secluded in a rainforest, with nothing but your thoughts and maybe a good book... The food was AMAZING!!! I took home a few recipes, they should have a cookbook, seriously...It's a supreme vegetarian cuisine... even non vegetarians would like... The view is spectacular. The yoga instructor I had for the week was ok, she's just into a different practice than I. More of a gentle yoga. I wished they offered more than 2 classes a day. The massage was great, given by Brenda, with nothing but chirping birds in the background. It is very humid there!!! and the rooms do not have air conditioning, and there is not a swimming pool, they could use that... but overall the staff was great, the place was truly a retreat. and I highly recommend the zip line excursion!!!! what fun!!! I would definitely return for another trip.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Caribyogi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I went to Samasati for a yoga retreat. The bungalows are set underneath the canopy of the rain forest. You are surrounded by nature, nothing else. You are awoken every morning by monkeys, if you stay in Bungalow 9, there may be a Toucan every morning outside your window in the upper bunk. The cabins are basic, but it is all you need up there, besides a raincoat or umbrella. The views of Puerto Viejo are incredible, friendly staff, fantastic vegetarian food. Howler monkeys, sloths, snakes, insects galore, frogs, toucans, owls, parrots- open your eyes, you will find it in the canopy. Simply Surrounded by true beauty!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Samasati is beautiful. The management and staff are exceptional, go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible and are incredibly pleasant. My stay was during the 6 month (May - November) rainy season and they are not kidding. It rained all but 2 of the 16 days I was there. My stay was from July 24 - August 9th 2009. I was there with a yoga group of 23 people total. The adventure is real, amazing, exciting and not for the faint of heart.

The food: I am a vegetarian, and the food was phenomenal. I would call it a vegetarian's dream come true. Lots of variety and very tasty. I would actually love to have the recipes.

The wildlife: BRING A MOSQUITO NET! There are scorpions. One was in my shower. It was a black scorpion that frightened the management as the sting is deadly from a baby scorpion and life threatening from an adult unless you can get to medical attention quickly. I questioned if this was a possibility prior to my trip. I was told it used to happen, but hasn't in years. I was assured there were no creatures in the rooms. There is no way to get to medical attention the middle of the night as there are no phones in the rooms and at least a 30 minutes before you can get to the local clinic. There was a tarantula in the coffee cupboard. Someone in my group was bit by a bullet ant. The sting is excruciating for four hours, then no residual effects. A lizard fell on someone during dinner.

The accomodations: The bungalows are essential tents. The space under my "door" was large enough for a squirrel to walk under, the "screens" had holes and the "walls" had gaps. You are basically camping outside in a jungle rainforest.

The result: I cannot recommend this destination, because I believe I was mislead as to what to expect. But if you are into really roughing it and possibly risking your life among wonderful staff in gorgeous surroundings, this is the vacation spot for you.

• Stayed July 2009
SilviaZcostarica, Part owner at Samasati Nature Retreat, responded to this review, August 31, 2009
I am so very sorry you feel you have been mislead with the information about Samasati...

Just to keep the record straight, I want to give information to other future travelers:
1. There are no "life threatening" scorpions in Costa Rica, specifically on the Caribbean area.
2. Local clinic is 5 minutes from Samasati and, on every door room there are instructions on how to get to the night guard at any time of the night. In case of need you can get medical attention.
3. Mosquito nets are available at the reception if you want/need one.
Feel free to write me directly at: samasati@samasati.com for any question you have about it.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

My arrival to Samasati was with a warm greeting from the manager who upgraded my stay to a private bungalow. It was spacious & comfortable, a nice surprise. There was a large group of yoginis participating ina teacher training with Marianne Wells. I shared lunch with them immediately & they were a fun group with amazing energy to bounce off of. I was there for 11 nights on a regular yoga package. I enjoyed it immensely. There were only a few women paticipating so most of the time I was privileged to take private classes with Courtney Bell, the resident yoga instructor. They rotate different instructors thru every few months. I felt very lucky to be with Courtney. My practice flew off the charts! She had incredible insight & a huge bag of tricks to draw from. Every class was a joy!

Samasati is located 4 miles from Puerto Viejo & they provide daily transfers to town. Puerto Viejo itself is pretty touristy but there are wonderful beaches nearby, notably Punta Uva. I highly recommend either biking there or taking a taxi if you have a few people. Lunch at nearby Arriceffe is a must. The bartender set us up with a small table next to the ocean. I don't know which was prettier, our view or our large platters of red snapper with local veggies. YUM! If I had stayed longer, I would have explored the beach at Manzanillo as well.

The food at Samasati was excellent. Breakfast was my favorite with fresh pineapple, papya, watermelon, bananas, yogurt, granola, eggs in some form, bread, jam, fresh squeezed juice & coffee. It was delightful to look forward to after moning yoga with a million dollar view of the ocean in the distance. I rarely ate lunch at the resort but the few times I did it was great, salads & local veggies. Dinner was varied with lots of good choices of soup, salad, entrees & desert. Fish was extra which I enjoyed one evening. It would have been nice to have it on the menu nightly. The only thing I didn't like was the 'soy product' entrees which were a little too chewy for my palate.

I would encourage anyone who travels to Samasati to take advantage of a local tour. My favorite was the Cacao Trail Tour where I learned to make chocolate! The Waterfall Tour is totally worth it too. It's fun to spend the day with local Ticos in their pristine country.

My massage with Jemima was memorable. She's just delightful to hang out with too. Her Barcelona background makes for a warm conversation. I only wished I could have booked another treatment with her!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to Samasati Nature Retreat? Share your experiences!