“Sunset yoga, good vegetarian food, jungle sounds, ocean views” 5 of 5 stars

You added Samasati Nature Retreat to your Saves list
Samasati Nature Retreat
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Carbon 1, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
London, United Kingdom
“Sunset yoga, good vegetarian food, jungle sounds, ocean views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2014

Need I go on? Our stay at Samasati was the ultimate health and well-being experience. We were greeted by the friendliest, happiest receptionist I've ever had the pleasure to speak with and were immersed in the jungle with glorious views over the Caribbean sea and Puerto Viejo town. The cabin was wonderful and we were very fortunate to have a beautiful view from our room too - it was fresh and airy, letting in a lot of light.

Sunrise and sunset yoga with the resident teacher, Stephanie, was great. She was a wonderful woman who had a lot of inspiration to share. She was never judgemental and focused on different parts of the body in each class so you were never repeating the same routine. You could easily see how much she cared about her practise, she would always mention a little something about what she had been reading. Some of her words and thoughts have really stayed with me, even after leaving Samasati.

The food was delicious. A wide range of vegetarian food was cooked up fresh and served buffet style. I enjoyed the raw salads, brown rice and soy dishes the most - very healthy, wholesome and filling. We really enjoyed the group meals all around a big table and loved that there was such a friendly atmosphere where staff actively encouraged guests to socialise. We met some amazingly interesting people and loved hearing about their lives, jobs, stresses, loves and insights.

It's worth noting that Samasati is an off-the-grid nature retreat. It's all about wellness and appreciation of nature. The best kind of digital detox! There are a couple of short nature trails and howler monkeys, toucans,and hummingbirds can been seen frequently. Bring a good book and spend your time appreciating the surroundings and thinking about the things that really matter in life.

Thank you to all the friendly staff at Samasati, we really loved our stay with you.

Room Tip: If you can opt for a room with a sea view, definitely do!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

We have stayed twice at Samasati and both times were very wonderful. Silvia and the staff were awesome hosts. Totally enjoyed the place and will be back! The view was wonderful and the food was well prepared. Will always remember and look forward to my morning coffee at sunrise looking out at the Caribbean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Marco Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

The staff of Samasati are super friendly and extremely accommodating! The meals prepared were delicious and the views are amazing! My trip to Samasati was through Gondwana Ecotours and I left Costa Rica with a life-changing experience. Thank you to everyone included, I can't wait to be back!

The property of Samasati is absolutely beautiful with nature everywhere around you. I enjoyed using the yoga studio and also the natural pool was a perfect place for a refreshing dip!

If I could recommend anything for future visits it may be a later shuttle service up the mountain (maybe only certain nights?..weekends?) .. And maybe a fish or meat option every now and then during meals.

My experience at Samasati was magical and I would recommend to anyone looking to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

After I returned from Samasati Nature Retreat, everyone I've told about the trip wants to go, or wishes they could go. I went there for a seven day yoga retreat (ended up staying ten days). There was no internet, no television, no phone, yoga twice a day, vegetarian food grown on property, and hiking trails through the rainforest that I hiked everyday. It was more than I could have ever hoped for.

Besides the food, the amazing people, and the scenery, the one thing that stood out the most for me was the air. Every breath I took filled my body with energy. I've never breathed air like that before in my life. I had so much energy I could hike all day and do two yoga sessions on only five hours of sleep, though I didn't want to sleep. I could have stayed up all night looking up at the clear sky and listing to the sounds of the jungle.

I read some reviews that complained that it wasn't easy to get to town, or the beach… well, they have a free shuttle that goes there at 10 am and comes back at 3:00 pm so you have time to get ready for 5 pm yoga. The town takes about an hour to walk through… twice. The town was not why I went, so spent most of my free time staying on property and hiking through the rainforest.

This would be an amazing trip for someone who wants to be transformed. My only complaint about the place is that the food is so good that one could gain weight if they are not careful.

If you go, make sure to go to "Bread & Chocolate" if you go to town. I think most of my tourist money went to that place.

In short, I came back a better man. Thanks to the staff for making this trip something I will always remember.

Room Tip: I stayed in the bungalows, small, but perfect. They also have some amazing cabins to rent, but the b...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Nature Retreat, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Thank you for the review! We look forward having you back at Samasati!
Warm regards,
Silvia
Liberty, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Have stayed at Samasati twice and my whole family loved it. Will definitely be back. It feels like our home away from home. You can't get any closer to the rainforest than this. Be aware this is a nature retreat, NOT a resort. Come here if you want to unplug, enjoy the surroundings, relax, and explore the rainforest, not if you expect to lounge by the pool with a drink in your hand. Amenities are basic but Samasati does not claim to be a luxury resort. The retreat is definitely off the beaten path. Be prepared for a bumpy ride up the mountain.

The food (all vegetarian) is some of the best I have ever had, anywhere. Everything is locally grown, and the chefs are experts at bringing out the flavors in the food. Every night at dinner there is some kind of soup, entree, vegetables, salad, and dessert. Every morning at breakfast there is fresh juice.

We stayed in the bungalows both times. These little cabins are charming. You don't need an alarm clock as the howler monkeys will wake you up.

Yoga is offered every morning at 6:30 and every evening at 5:30 ... a perfect way to start the day before breakfast and your daily activities. Available excursions include a zipline canopy tour, rafting, kayaking, hiking ... or you can just relax on the property, get a massage, and enjoy the breathtaking scenery and amazing view of the ocean below.

The staff is very accommodating. If you need to go into town, they'll call you a taxi or you can get a ride on the daily shuttle. We enjoyed just walking around Puerto Viejo and going to the beach. The nearby Jaguar Rescue is not to be missed.

The people who left one-star reviews obviously didn't know where they were going or that things don't always work the same in a third-world country. But my entire family -- including my 13-year-old son and my 66-year-old mother -- loved it here. If you like beautiful scenery, being outdoors, good food, the beach, adventure, yoga, and relaxing in the jungle, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
OZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

It's the jungle baby and there is no better place to get groove on !!

Axel Rose of Guns N Roses said it best,
"Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want "

Food - The twin sisters bring the " A " game every night
Yoga - My girl Stef is a tornado full of spirituality and eclectic classes ( 15 classes never duplicated).
Massage - Isabel will put u in the zen trance while she crushes you like kobe beef
Managers - Scott ( very cool and if you get bitten by a snake, he is your man )
Cecilia ( She is a poster child for the music video , " Happy "
Judy ( Not enough space to write about the " bomb " she just is ! )
Very chill, fun times, Good tunes.
Treat yourself,
J

Room Tip: Bungalow #4 is where the action was going down .
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Right on!! Thank you for this sweet and fun review. I hope you will soon be back :-)
Regards,
Silvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

....magical, breathtaking, a vibrant kaleidoscope of fauna and flora! The tiny neon orange frogs were my favorite little critters, the howler monkeys were everywhere but you couldn’t see them, they would wake you every morning at 6am with a chorus of moans, sometimes the sounds came from the south, sometimes from the north. The extraordinary species of orchids were stunning, and the awe-inspiring canyons and spectacular waterfalls along the Picuare river were jaw dropping! (the white water rafting tour set-up by Samasati) Truly a remarkable destination! This place is a plethora of living jungle species that are endemic to Costa Rica..... after all its where the southern hemisphere meets the north.

Dramatic, stunning, amazing!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Samasati Nature Retreat? Share your experiences!