“Comfortable, Friendly & Non-Commercial” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Jungle Beach House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hidden Jungle Beach House
You added Hidden Jungle Beach House to your Saves list
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca - Black Beach / Playa Negra, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
EuphoriaSue
“Comfortable, Friendly & Non-Commercial”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you want a bit more privacy and a low-key atmosphere I highly recommend the Hidden Jungle Beach House in Playa Negra, just before you get to Puerto Viejo, a Caribbean-style house with four second-floor bedrooms which are rented per night or monthly, by Lisa, the owner, an expat from the U.S.A.

There's a communal kitchen downstairs, from which the inside hot shower and a toilet are accessed, and a powder room upstairs, with a toilet and small sink. Lisa provides places to hang your clothes, both the clean, dry ones and the wet ones, and the rooms have mosquito nets, fans and reading lights.

The place is protected by two nice, big friendly dogs, and one small cat.

There are sitting areas outside, on an upstairs landing and on the first floor. Bicycles are available for rental and Lisa is a veritable goldmine of information on the area and is happy to share her knowledge.

Staying at Hidden Jungle Beach House is like having a visit with a friend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thanks so much for your nice review, Euphoria. It explains alot and helps others visualize the place. It was great to have you here. Come back again - you will be visiting a friend!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hidden Jungle Beach house four days during my eight night Puerto Viejo adventure. This place by far was the best lodging I had. It was clean, comfortable, affordable and walking distance to downtown Puerto Viejo. Lisa is a gratious host and makes you feel comfortable in her home. There is no better place to stay for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for the very good review. You got right to the point and said it all. I appreciate that! Please come back and visit us again.
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hidden Jungle House is set back away from the main road and about 5 minutes walk into Puerto Viejo, the perfect distance to be quiet and yet have easy access.

The rooms are small but the bed was clean and comfortable. There are large open windows which let in a lot of air and this helps to keep the rooms feeling airy instead of humid.

The upstairs 'loo' is rather small for a big guy but for $20 a night as others have said, it's rather hard to beat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thanks for the nice review. Yes, I agree. I wish the second floor bathroom was bigger and the rooms could be, too. But the rest of the place is so nice, it makes up for it. But I keep the prices low and most people spend very little time in their rooms when they come for holidays at the beach. So no one seems to mind.
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My only regret as far as my stay at the Hidden Jungle Beach House was that it was for three short days. First, a word about the location. It is perfectly situated, with beautiful jungle surroundings that offers a much cooler and comfortable environment than hotels in town do, but it is literally a one minute walk to the beautiful Playa Negra black sands beach of Puerto Viejo. You have the best of both worlds. It's distance to town is also just about ideal. It is close enough to town for very easy access (several minutes walk) but far enough outside that you have the peace and tranquility that can make a visit to Costa Rica so relaxing and refreshing. The house itself is wonderful. It's exuberant appearance blends beautifully with the environs, and the property is adorned with comfortable hammocks, outdoor seating, and, my personal favorite, a balcony desk for you to do a bit of writing while you gaze out at the lush vegetation. My room was small and basic, but that is all you need during a stay in Costa Rica, and I was very comfortable the entire time. The shared kitchen is spotless, and has every appliance you could need. Finally, and most importantly, the hostess, Lisa, is a wonderful woman. I greatly enjoyed getting to know her. She gave me excellent recommendations for places to visit when I rented a bicycle from her for the day, and on a day that I was feeling unwell, she was very caring. You simply won't find this in most hotels/hostels, and it can truly make the difference in a stay. Bottom line, you can't do better than Hidden Jungle, especially for the low, low price. Thanks Lisa!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Wow! What a wonderful review! Thank you so much. I work very hard to make my guests happy. Your review makes it all worthwhile. Thank you!
Bocas Town, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We absolutely loved staying with Lisa in her adorable, cute Jungle Beach Beach house. She really makes her home your home for a little while and we enjoyed staying there. The name for her house is perfect, your surrounded by pure nature and yet not far away from the town of Puerto Viejo. The beach is just 2 minutes away and the center is within walking distance. Every room has its own personal charm and is decorated with nice items to make it look unique and comfortable. Its really cozy and clean and the facilities are perfect. The kitchen has everything you need and you will always find some space to just relax and read a book or enjoy the nature. Lisa is very charming, friendly and helpful and did everything to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Highly recommendable, we definitely stay there again if we would come back to Puerto Viejo!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your excellent review. I enjoyed having the two of you. More and more people are saying the same thing you said; that they feel really at home at my place. It is my home, which distinguishes the place as a guest house as and having you as a guest in my house, I really want you to feel good being here. You have shown me that I must be doing something right and given me encouragement to continue on. Thanks so much!
Lisa
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

It was the first stop of our 2 month trip, and I'm really glad for that! It is a really neat house, with 4 bedrooms with mosquito nets (at a very decent price!) shared bathrooms, communal kitchen, bikes to rent... very secure with locks everywhere (for safety and to keep the bullfrogs out!) very clean and well decorated (I loved all the gorgeous colours!). My boyfriend and I felt as though Lisa's house, was our house for a week. We initially intended to stay there for a few days, we kept on adding! The beach is literally across the street, you are surrounded by jungle and the town is a short walk down the road. Lisa is an amazing source of info when it comes to ANYTHING. It might take you a day or two to get used to the jungle and it's sounds... but it sure is cool! It was an amazing stay in a unique location! Thank You!

p.s. woke up to an earthquake one morning... crazy experience, house was fine :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Wow! What a nice review. Thanks so much. It was an absolute pleasure to have you two and each time you added an extra day I was so pleased and happy to have the space available for you. It is guests like you that make my job wonderful.
Palmares, Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This house was perfect to stay at! It was really close to town, so really easy to walk to the super market or a restaurant and Playa Negra and yet, it was tucked away in the jungle so it was peaceful and beautiful. Lisa was charming and her two dogs and cat made everything feel like home. We were able to rent bikes from her and she gave directions of how exactly to get where we wanted to go! There is a fully stocked kitchen, which made cooking very easy! As a nice addition there is a TV centrally located for a nice movie night and hot water in the shower! As four teenagers traveling by ourselves, it was a safe and nice retreat. I would greatly recommend this house!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thanks so much for the great review. You four girls were lots of fun and you were quite considerate and polite as well. You are giving me a good review and I'm giving you one, too!

Been to Hidden Jungle Beach House? Share your experiences!