“Potential Expat Visitor” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Jungle Beach House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hidden Jungle Beach House
You added Hidden Jungle Beach House to your Saves list
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca - Black Beach / Playa Negra, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Potential Expat Visitor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had been researching a trip to Costa Rica for some time when I came across Lisa’s Blog, and was impressed with the depth of information, and her personal story on becoming an expat in Costa Rica; so what better spot to begin since my interest was learning more about living in Costa Rica.

During my stay I took 2 tours with Lisa, and I was able to get a good introduction to the area from Puerto Viejo to Manzanilo, as well as a road trip up into the mountains along the Panama border and through some of the indigenous Bri Bri villages. Lisa was not only a detailed guide and fun person to be with but was kind enough to introduce me to other expats in the area, which really helped me get a view of life in Caribbean Costa Rica.

I can’t tell you how beautiful the Caribbean area of Costa Rica is, and if you prefer the “less developed” side; you will appreciate the life here. I found the people I met here to be really friendly and sweet and I think you will too. Thanks to Lisa I had a wonderful introduction to the area.

As well the location and accommodations were great. I especially liked that my window (when open) looked out directly into the jungle. On my second day there, while standing in the kitchen we spotted a Sloth climbing up the very tree viewed from my room.

I certainly plan on returning again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thanks for your great review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I"m glad to have been able to help you and share what I love about Costa Rica's Caribbean.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I found this when browsing tripadvisor and was impressed with it's reviews. Now that my husband and I have been there for 4 nights, we can agree it's a great place! It is a easy walk into downtown Puerto Viejo, but tucked away so that the nights are peaceful. We both slept comfortably in a double bed with a clean, new mosquito net, well-positioned fan, and 2 large windows for sea and jungle breeze. The kitchen was nice and we had plenty of space for groceries and drinks. We spent some relaxing hours on the porch on the hammock with our rum and cokes. :) On our last day, we spotted a mama sloth with her baby from the porch. Lisa was a very gracious hostess and was very helpful with tips for things to do. We loved renting bikes and riding down to Manzanillo. Thanks Lisa for the great time!

Kourtney & Dave

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Thanks for the nice review. There is so much to do in the area here and I love to give suggestions. You can take tours from local tour companies but there are also many things you can do on your own with just a few tips. And then after a full day of fun, I am happy to provide a relaxing and quiet place for people to enjoy the natural ambiance. I am so glad you two had a good time staying here at Hidden Jungle Beach House.
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I arrived at Hidden Jungle Beach House searching for a relaxing place to call home for a month and have found so much more staying here. Lisa's warmth and knowledge about the area and the many wonderful things that it has to offer have been a real treat. The house is beautiful and clean. The unique location surrounded by beautiful trees and flowers allows you to truly experience nature without having to sacrifice comfort. If you enjoy great company, beautiful surroundings and close proximity to an unspoiled black sand beach then Hidden Jungle Beach House is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words about Hidden Jungle Beach House. I have had the place for seven months now and it is still a work in progress. To hear how comfortable you have been here makes me know my continued efforts at creating a tranquil, pleasant ambiance are paying off.
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have to agree with pretty much everything that was said here about this place. Quick walk to the beach or the town. It is a little hard to find at first so make sure to have the directions. Lisa has great recommendations about the area and was very helpful. I was surprised how eclectic the little town of Puerto Viejo is for such a small place. People, food, and culture from all over the world. No problems at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thanks for the nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Yes, we are truly "Hidden" in the jungle. I prefer to keep a low profile so as to keep things quiet around here. Therefore I have no signs. But I do give very specific directions on my Costa Rica Transportation web page. Follow my directions and you will have no problem finding us!
Southwest Harbor, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

This guest house quickly felt like a home away from home during my 6-night stay here. Clean and comfortable, bright sunny rooms with loads of hibiscus just outside the window. Lisa's wonderful, and she really went above and beyond to help me out when I ran into some troubles during my trip. If you want air conditioning and a swimming pools and frills this isn't the place for you, but if you want an small but pleasant inexpensive room in a wonderful location surrounded by jungle foliage and the sounds of waves crashing on the beach, I highly recommend this place!

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thanks so much to the sweet review! I'm so glad you felt at home here. Traveling to a foreign country makes many people nervous, even though it is fun and exciting. My goal is to create a comfortable place where you feel relaxed and safe. I'm glad you felt that way at Hidden Jungle Beach House.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I want to start by saying this is a special place. Not only is Lisa a wonderful host, she becomes family at the end of your stay. Her house is a clean, affordable, quiet and peaceful. She offers a comfortable bed in a private room, shared bathroom/shower, full kitchen and outside patio.
She has two adorable dogs, very friendly. And the great thing is her place is just a 5min walk outside of town, so quiet but close to anything you'll need. Her place fills up fast so make sure you pre book. Very easy through paypal through her website. She also offers lots of tours, we went on the waterfall tour which was absolutely fantastic! Pura Vida!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
What a lovely review, thank you so much! I try hard to make my guests feel at home. Your review makes all my efforts worthwhile!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

If you want to really experience the town of Puerto Viejo, this is the place to go. Just a 5 minute walk to town and a 3 minute walk to the beach allowed for many spontaneous choices. An important issue for when you're relaxing around this guest house. The guest house management was very responsive to my particular needs.

Frankly, this was the first time I stayed in a guest house rather than a private room (hotel). But even though I'm no longer 20-30 years old, I recognize that there is a special Atmosphere created as the semi-private quarters supported a more social experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for the nice review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at Hidden Jungle Beach House.

I have never stayed in a guest house either, and then suddenly one day I was running one! I am around the same age as you are and hostels are just not comfortable for me. But a guest house is different. I consider everyone here a guest in my home and I do everything I can to make them comfortable. The shared kitchen makes for lots of interesting conversations and as you said, contributes to the social aspect of your visit. This is especially nice for lone travelers. Many of my guests enjoy the local activities together and become friends.

Been to Hidden Jungle Beach House? Share your experiences!