“Great Common Areas, Nice Staff, Awful Rooms” 3 of 5 stars

You added Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses to your Saves list
Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses
Punta Uva | Puerto Viejo, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 1451-2050, Costa Rica   |
Calgary, Alberta
“Great Common Areas, Nice Staff, Awful Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I would have given this hostel a great rating if the rooms hadn’t been dirty and mouldy and my mosquito net hadn’t had so many holes I needed to personally cover the holes with borrowed duct tape (see photo). The rooms are poorly built with no screens on the windows so the lizards and creepies are happy to roam, which I don’t mind but I do mind them in my bed with me, so a functioning mosquito net is all I ask for the price of a mouldy room with no washroom. I thought the asking price for such was outrageous.

The common areas, however, were lovely and clean as a whistle. Nice accoutrements in the kitchen, clean washrooms/showers and nice staff. Punta Uva is lovely and there isn’t much in the way of budget accommodation, but I hope Walaba’s owners do something about the insects, dust and mould in the rooms. Especially the attic room, I was shown but did not take (there were numerous dead bugs sitting inside the mosquito net on a cruddy old mattress on the floor). Ew.

Room Tip: Check your mosquito net and bed carefully.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We just wanted to thank you guys for everything! Our stay in Punta Uva was perfect. And a huge thank you to Vincent for helping us catch our bus in San Jose-- we would have been so lost without you!!! We wish you the best of luck with the new puppy. Thank you again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Heredia, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I'd love to say wonderful things about this place as I really liked the service provided by Vincent and his wife, unfortunately this time we encountered more inconveniences than enjoyment which ended up screwing up our trip.

I stayed at the "Walaviña" which is advertised as a nice private room for 1 person or a couple, the place is OK but not as I expected. Mosquitos are a very severe problem for this place since it's not fully sealed to avoid mosquitos or dengue to get into the room. The beds have "Mosquito Nets" but still the place attracs tons of bugs which are a pain.

The place needs severe fixes when it comes to water, they work with a turbin that makes the water come and go. If there's no light for whatever reason they run out of water as well, this actually happened to me one of the days I stayed. When the water came back I decided to take a shower but the water of the shower was coming BROWN so I decided to pass on that one! ! ! :S They said that they have worked to have that fixed but the goverment have not set clear water for them to use apparently and they are obviously not willing to take money out of their pocket to provide clean water for the guests or have this fixed.

One the room they had 2 bottled water. One was for brushing your teeth but not drinking as it said on the label, but the second one didn't have any message on it so we assume it was clean. We drank of that water and used it to cook as we expected that paying over a $100 they could at least include one bottle of clean water. Well it wasn't and we got sick for an entire day throwing up and with diarreah. Apparenty we were not the only ones as other couple and group of Ticos got sick as well. One of them was taken to the hospital with a severe intoxication. It was awful and we stayed sick for an entire day. Actually the only day that was a sunny day becuase it rained a lot.

The place was not very clean and overall I don't know how they have permission to work as a hostel. I sincerely consider that they should provide more according to what you've paid. Don't waste your money here, pay a little more and find a decent place. This placed ruined our experience in playa Uva and Puerto Viejo and definitely will not go back there.

Room Tip: Don't come here... That's my advise. There are better Hostels in the area such as "Rock...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Walaba is amazing. The hostel is run by honest people who want you to enjoy your time in Punta Uva. Punta Uva is very close to Puerto Viejo. The hostel offers bikes or you can take the bus into Puerto Viejo easily. Punta Uva is definitely a quieter and more intimate location than Puerto Viejo.

Vincent, who works at Walaba, was of great help to me. I had a very stressful situation to deal with and Vincent was very accommodating and helpful. I am greatly appreciative of his help, as well as the rest of the Walaba staff. It is a wonderful hostel and I would recommend it to any of my friends going into the area. I, in my rush in traveling, forgot a DSLR lens and Vincent informed me before I could even contact him regarding it. Therefore, it just proves that it is a great and safe hostel.

There are howler monkey and sloths nearby. On my way biking into Puerto Viejo, I just saw a sloth sitting on a tree. Thank you Walaba for a great experience.

Room Tip: One of the buildings has its own personal hammock and laundry line. The kitchen is right downstairs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

As someone who is not one for hostels and usually dreads the thought of staying in them, even I would highly recommend choosing Walaba Hostel if staying in Puerto Viejo. The hostel staff were very friendly and welcoming and were great at offering us advice on anything and everything during our stay. The rooms/kitchens/bathrooms themselves were very sort of 'jungle-chic', perfect for embracing the experience in Puerto Viejo.

Room Tip: We had the room for 4 next to the kitchen on the ground floor- quick trip to the bathroom and kitche...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing place, close to nature, with vibrant atmosphere, friendly people, and one of the most beautiful beaches 1 minute down the road, then this is a place for you. I stayed in Walaba for two nights in a private-type accommodation with own kitchen, bathroom, and even a hammock at the little porch. It was definitely a great value for my money. The staff was always there to help out either with a organizing a snorkeling trip, finding a bus to San Jose, or whatever else one would need. They provide tasty organic breakfasts for little extra, but it's for sure worth the extra bucks. Location is perfect, close to an amazing beach, a restaurant across the street, supermarket 500m down the road, and Puerto Viejo with its nightlife is 20minutes bike ride/10USD cab ride away. Walaba offers bikes for rent, which is pretty handy if you want to go outside Punta Uva and not to pay the cab fare. Definitely would be staying here again when I visit Costa Rica again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Diemen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Walaba Hostel for 3 nights. The dorms are fine and all have mosquito nets. One Night in a dorm costs 10 dollars, which is a good price in costa rica. The hostel has a kitchen and provides breakfast (not included though). They rent bikes for a decent price, so you can easily discover surrounding beaches and enjoy the beautiful nature (I've seen monkeys, sloths, snake on the way to the beach!). The nearest supermarket is a 500m walk. The closest beach 100m. The staff is very friendly and helpful and is full of tips. If you look for a calm an quit place to stay, this is a great option. It feels like you are sleeping in the jungle because the walls are open (great experience is the shower, also like you are outside hihi!). The only thing you should be careful with, are the monkeys. Sometimes they come at night and steal food in the Kitchen. In the fridge everything is fine, but whatever you keep outside, may disappear (I lost my bread and chips and rice haha!). The bus to San Jose stops in front of the hostel, that's very nice. If you want to go our for a night in Puerto Viejo (free moijitos on Thursdays ladies night) you have to take a cab that will cost 10 dollars...bit expensive but if you share the ride its fine. The hostel offers tours as well and has nice restaurants around the corner (great seafood!)
If you have any questions, let me know!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses? Share your experiences!