“Nice people, great tour and even better chocolate” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Factory Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
El Valle de Anton, Panama
10 attraction reviews
“Nice people, great tour and even better chocolate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I took the chocolate tour with Paul and it was definitely worth the time and money. After a nice walk up the mountainside and through the forest, we were treated to a view of a lifetime! A level hill overlooking the ocean and jungle below. Just when we didn't think it could get any better, we were taken to the tasting platform. A large wood deck complete with chairs and a fantastic view of the ocean and trees. Not a hotel in sight, as Paul said. Not a view you're able to see just anywhere. I could have stayed all day. The tasting was educational and delicious. Presented with a mix and match of spices, herbs and fruit, it was also fun. I was so full after we were done. On the walk back we saw poison dart frogs on the side of the road and beautiful birds in the trees.

I have purchased the pure cocoa powder in the small bag for around $6 and believe me, it is worth every penny. There really is a LOT in there. I have orders for 4 bags from people back home. I'll probably get another for myself too since I've been making hot chocolate, cookies and chocolate sauce with it.

Definitely drop by if you're in the area and make some kind of purchase. They work with the locals and buy their beans and use their services, in turn paying them more than the average worker which is a great thing here. Support the community!!

Visited May 2013

Windsor
6 attraction reviews
“A chocolately hidden gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Because this place is owned by real people and not a corporation, you can really sense the passion these guys have for their craft. Paul is constantly improving the process and Jeff and his wife were very gracious in taking us to their tree top platform and doing a tasting party. It is such a neat idea. We also got to tour the factory with Jean and see the refining process. The hike up the mountain gets you a bit sweaty and you have to remember your bug spray but it is totally worth it. I also saw some green and red frogs and many parrots and Montezuma birds.

Visited May 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
“Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a great time at the Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate. True genuine experience including in depth knowledgeable tour guiding of fruits, forests, reptils and, of course, chocolate and chocolate production. Tasting took place on a beautiful platform with excellent sea view, and included various kinds of chocolates, herbs and a chocolate drink. The entire visit felt personal and caring.

Visited May 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing Chocolate and Coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

You will not be disappointed by the chocolate and coffee they sell here. We did not do the tour, but stopped in to the coffee tasting room and were able to sample several varieties. One cool thing about the chocolate is that in addition to having different flavors (herb, spices, etc), they also have bars that you can buy based on chocolate from different farms.

The coffee we brought home and gave to family and friends - everyone has really enjoyed it. We plan on ordering online and shipping to the US.

Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Thoroughly enjoyed this experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have to say that I wasn't really sure what we were getting into when my daughter suggested Paul's chocolate tour, but it was a really entertaining and educational afternoon. Do be prepared to hike and dress appropriately as you will climb up to the "farm". Paul's knowledge of cacao and the processing. of chocolate is amazing and his inventions made us smile. I have done wine-tastings many times, but never a chocolate tasting. That was a lot of fun and very tasty! The panoramic view from the top of the farm was well worth the little walk uphill.

Visited February 2013