“Nice location, great host!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Be My Guest Cabinas

You added Be My Guest Cabinas to your Saves list
Be My Guest Cabinas
300 meter from Banana Azul Hotel, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 70401, Costa Rica   |
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice location, great host!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had a lovely stay at Be My Guest Cabinas. Fred is very kind and will definitely help you save money with his great recommendations of things to do which are of little cost. There's definitely not a need to book through tour companies for your day excursions. The room was spacious and clean and resembles a small studio apartment with a very basic kitchen area. We saved quite a bit of money by eating in (there's a decent grocery store in town to get everything you need). The location is great. It's tucked away nicely in a serene spot and it's not too far from town. The access to Banana Azul was awesome! We were there everyday lounging by the beach and enjoying the happy hour specials. Overall, we had a nice stay at Be My Guest Cabinas. Thanks for the hospitality, Fred and family!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Frauenfeld, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've stayed at be my guest cabinas for 19 nights. i felt very comfortable right away and fred was very very helpful with everything. thank you fred!!!! :-)
i can highly recommend his cabinas, they are worth the price and fred, his wife and the kids are great!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Haleiwa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed for several nights at Fred's place. The rooms are huge, and our upstairs one had ceiling fans and a good floor fan (which was totally fine.) We took advantage of using our room's kitchen to save money on eating out at restaurants. Kitchen has a small fridge, double hot plate, and basic cooking ware. Shower was hot, pool was clean, and queen size platform beds were comfortable. Site is safe and secure. Wifi is decent. We were able to to laundry at his house for a reasonable price.
Best part is Fred's helpfulness with anything you need. He's a busy guy, and he has great advice on saving you money in Puerto Viejo. He seems to have a lot of connections, and he made us feel at home. He lives with his wife and 2 kids on the property.
We rented beach cruisers from the hotel nears his property (be aware that they charge tax on the final total.). Main town is about 2 km away or less, a pleasant ride... Just bring a head lamp if you ride back at night.
We were super lucky to have a chance to ride some Electric Bikes from Fred's friend's new business. Definitely ask about it. It was a lot of fun! They go up to 25mph, and the little tours go all the way out to some cool waterfalls, where you can drink cold coconuts for a dollar. We also took them out to an amazing beach past Manzanillo. Really fun way to cruise the coast!!
If you want a spacious place to relax and a really helpful owner on the premises, I highly recommend Be My Guest Cabinas!! Thanks for everything Fred!!!

Room Tip: There's only 4 rooms... Downstairs have AC, upstairs are breezy and have fans.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lilburn, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here in Dec 2013. The room was impecably clean, the beds were super comfey, there were screens and ample fans (we didn't need the A/C, which is available), a well stocked personal kitchen, nice large towels, super comfortable pillows, hot water in the large shower and table and chairs. The prices are more in line with a hostels, but the accomodations are like having a studio apartment.

Fred took us to two waterfalls, which must be a local secret as only a couple of locals were there. He gave us tips of things to do and reasonable places to eat, as food prices can be a bit high (loved Bread and Chocolate that was suggested). We also opted to do some cooking in our private kitchen to defray costs. The black sand beach is a 5 minute walk away.

The place is super quiet, and we had some of the best sleep ever. It's a bit away from the noise of the town, but we walked to town most days. You can rent a bike to visit the other coastal towns as well. I would suggest a bike rental.

• Stayed December 2013
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Be My Guest Cabinas are a great place to stay, the family running it are just wonderful. That end of Puerto Viejo is also the much nicer part, feels more like your in the real COsta Rica there. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a great and affordable place to stay. The cabinas are clean, comfortable and have everything you would need in them. Fred is super super helpful and friendly and goes above and beyond for his guests. If you are concerned about your costs - talk to him and he will make your trip affordable and awesome! It is a nice location - quiet, but close enough to town (cab costs about $5 or you can rent bikes and cruise around, which most people do anyhow). It is about a 10 minute (very leisurely) bike ride to town. You can come and go as you please as you are provided with your own key to the front gate. You are close to playa negra, which is nice for swimming or relaxing and you are able to use the facilities at Banana Azul at no extra cost (the fancy expensive resort in town) as it is just down the road from the cabinas. The town itself is fantastic - I would recommend it to anybody! Go to Puerto Viejo and stay at Be My Guest! You'll be happy you did!

Room Tip: AC rooms are available, but depending on when you travel the fans work just fine!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I just left Puerto Viejo and Be My Guest Cabinas very reluctantly! We loved being in the quiet surroundings just outside of town in our very large, spacious, private and clean room! Fred and his wife, Johanna, are very welcoming and helpful for anything we needed. Fred even let us know the cheap way to do tours and where the best snorkeling was (he's right, don't bother with Cahuita!) The rooms without AC were not unbearably hot at all and quite comfortable in the night. The beds were low to the ground, a difficulty for my husband's bad knees, but we doubled up the mattress with the extra bed in the room and had no problems. In fact the beds were quite comfy! The kitchen had more than we expected and was really convenient. Our cat was allowed to stay and even he didn't want to leave, clawing his way over my shoulder and back into the room!
We loved having the mini kitchen and saving money on meals, the privacy, the quiet surroundings and being able to head right down the road to banana azul! We felt super secure in that area at all times but it was so nice at night to be able to leave the door open and not worry. The bugs were not bad and we even saw some beautiful mini toucans in the trees right outside. Fred is working hard to fix the place up even more than it offers at current and we're super excited to see what he does with the place (it's huge!) We definitely look forward to making this place our annual vacation place. Thanks so much to our new friends!

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have no AC as of yet (due to the power company not putting in the lines needed to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Be My Guest Cabinas? Share your experiences!