“Immaculate property/gracious host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Perla del Caribe

Save Saved
You added La Perla del Caribe to your Saves list
La Perla del Caribe
Playa Cocles, behind cabinas el tesoro, La Perla del Caribe road sign entrance. | one mile south from Puerto Viejo, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 7043, Costa Rica   |
Texas
“Immaculate property/gracious host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The only property (so far) I have seen in PV that really qualifies as clean. After 7 years of visiting and looking for a place to spend a month or so, I had almost concluded that there was no such property in PV/vicinity, While walking from Cocles to PV, I came upon la perla, truly a pearl! Nadia is a most gracious owner and keeps the place immaculate. She showed me around the property, the one villa that was vacant was as clean and beautiful as any luxury hotel in the Caribbean.

There is plenty of security as one walks away from the busy road, located between Cocles and PV. I prefer Cocles because it is quieter and has a cleaner beach. Hope to find a vacancy there on my next trip, I cannot say enough about it, it is a pearl in a sand box. Thank you Nadia, look forward to visit and stay at La Perla.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Quepos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Generally speaking, one should not expect a lot of amenities or special comfort in Costa Rica. My kids, my wife and I had a long trip all around the country of Costa Rica, and the only particular place which had proper amenities was La Perla del Caribe. During our stay, we found no hair dryers, no ample hot water, no comfortable bedding or any of those little things that you would expect. Sometimes, water was not even sufficient for a shower because of dry season and the water was provided for just a couple of hours a day. Also, if you expect crisp white sheets, or if you are looking for air conditioning, simply forget it. Costa Rica has a casual atmosphere but has very little tourism.
So, be prepared to pack what you need, including bug spray, sun tan lotion and other things, and take it easy.
Or, if you cannot do without having some comfort during your vacation, and if you want to have a wonderful sleep on a king size bed with new sheets, the only choice is Ecception, La Perla del Caribe Villas. They offer a speedy wi-fi connection too, which works very well in the rooms and all around the property.
Antonio got his knowledge by 30 years of experience in construction in Italy. I’m an engineer and this is my job, and I was so impressed. The Villas are an exemple of amazing manufacturing and are absolutely beautiful. A touch of freshness and beauty will transform your adventure jungle experience into a relaxing, unforgettable stay.
The high European standard level of building, incredibly, permits someone to sleep and live without any bugs inside the apartment. No ants at all, just apply normal care, such as cleaning the kitchen a little bit. Organic waste was regularly thrown out outsideour garden, because we found that to be a good solution,as well as it could have been thrown into the private bin of La PerlaVillas at the beginning of the road. You can flush toilet paper in the toilet and everything works perfectly in the apartment! But it is better to put it in the trash because there is no sewage in town. When we came to Costa Rica, we expected to behave respectfully to the environment and local inhabitant. It was great to enjoy AC during the night but we could avoid it during the day. Saying the truth, the apartment was fresh enough to chill daily and nightly also without air conditioner, the climate is humid but not very hot in this part of Costa Rica, but we loved to use it a little after beach. We choose ecotourism while sacrificing modern amenities and it made sense to leave behind consumerism and excess.

My family and I will come back next year in August and we are considering living in Costa Rica, once retired. We’ll stay again in one of La Perla del Caribe Villas, for sure. And we’ll ask the best builter in place – Antonio!- to built our house...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent 2 days at the Villa in August. I was very concerned before I left, regarding the safety, the location etc etc. What a surprise!! Safety was the least concern here! Antonia has engineered wonderful strong walled brick houses, so no bugs, animals or people can get in!

Nadia was the best host I have had.. want to remain in touch with her. She was super friendly, had breakfast with her own homemade fresh juice. She took us into the town with her to show the grocery stores. She gave me a flashlight when I did not have one. She even had us over for coffee at her house. She gave us recommendations for things to do, and one of the best was the Chocolate tour behind her property. That was the highlight of our trip.

I loved this place and the hosts.. my kids were happy, we enjoyed the jungle, the beach, the town, and did not feel like bidding Nadia and Antonio good bye!

I hope to go again and would so recommend this place to anyone and every one!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

On our honeymoon we stopped 3 days with Nadia and Antonio (Antonio reminds me a famous italian actor).
Location of the house is beautiful, the quality of the accomodation was excellent, really above any expectation, due to the fact that Antonio built these accomodations with italian style and quality.
At your arrival you will be offered fresh fruit, tipical italian "ristretto" coffee and a glass of red wine.
If you are in Caribe threat yourselves with a stay in La Perla del Caribe.
Alessandra and Roberto

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My sister and I traveled to Puerto Viejo with our kids (hers: ages 25, 23, 12 and mine age 13). We rented two places. We had such a wonderful time. The houses are immaculate and very comfortable. They are very close to one of the beaches -- within walking distance. We were told that Playa Cocles was not a good beach for swimming, but the kids had a great time splashing in the waves (kind of what we are used to with Va and Carolina beaches). Nadia and Antonio really helped make our stay as great as it was. Nadia stopped by everyday to see if there was anything she could help organize for us, any calls we needed her to make for cabs, and excursions (ziplining-- what a blast! On our first day, she took us into the town herself and gave us a tour to help us get our bearings. She made great suggestions for places to see (Playa Manzanillo and if you visit you must visit the Jaguar rescue center). Also, Antonio pointed out a sloth in the trees just outside our villas, which was super cool. In our front yard, we saw color frogs, and lizards and cool purple and orange crickets or grasshoppers. But no bugs inside! The villas came stocked with coffee, spices for cooking, and Nadia made some fresh Starfruit juice for our first day. This was an enchanting place that we will definilty want to return to. Thanks Nadia and Antonio for all your help in making our stay so wonderful!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I don't think I'll ever forget my stay in Puerto Viejo at La Perla Del Caribe. My friends and I rang in the new year and rented one of the new villas that two amazing people, Nadia and Antonio, operate just 1km outside the "downtown" area of PV. The villa was extremely clean, kept cool, and complete with a full kitchen, shower, and front porch with swinging hammocks. Antonio has actually built all the villas at La Perla himself! They are all amazing, Italian architecture in the heart of the jungle. The amenities in each villa make the jungle stay extremely comfortable and relaxing. At night, we would walk from the villa into the town for dinner and drinks. We always felt safe heading in an out at any hour.

The villas are incredible but the real "perlas del caribe" were Antonio and Nadia. Nadia helped us book all our excursions, brought us extra towels, really anything we needed. Antonio stopped by a couple times to help us find sloths and toucans in the trees, sometimes just to tell us jokes. When we left, they invited us to their house on the property for coffee and breakfast. They are two wonderful people that played a major part in making our stay in Costa Rica so memorable. I had to post my first review on Trip Advisor just to make sure everyone knows that you absolutely CANNOT go wrong booking a villa at "La Perla Del Caribe". Fantastic, cannot recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2nd villa. I believe the 3rd villa is the newest. All three are exceptional though.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
dunnellon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Thank you very much for the nice stay!
We really enjoyed your house! It was a great adventure.
If you’re looking for eco-friendly accommodation, into nature and wildlife, but you don’t want to feel comfortless and be worried by anything..I mean, if you want to be sure your holiday will be just perfect, this is your place. Maybe is not a must for you to have TV, AC, fast WI-FI, a safe, but you’ll certainly find them to be useful.
You’ll feel that this is a second home. This place is a combination of beauty, comfort and nature. Sooo clean and pleasurable. Perfectly located. We spent many memorable days at ‘La Perla del Caribe’.
If you love birdwatching, you adore toucans, green parrots, blue huge butterflies, lazy sloths hanging out from the trees in front of your porch and to be awakened by howler monkeys.. paradise found!
We really want to thank you, Nadia and Antonio, for your hospitality; we
could not have picked a more perfect place or better hosts.
Puerto Viejo is just amazing; we suggest you take all possible tours and excursions and swim as much as you can in Punta Uva and enjoy long walks along the incredible beaches.
Hope we will be able to do it again,
Olivia & John

Room Tip: ask for the king size bed room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Perla del Caribe? Share your experiences!