“Family atmoshere great food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Costa Rican
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Montreal, Canada
“Family atmoshere great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I ate two suppers here and each time the food was very tasty with fresh ingredients. Johanna used to be a cook in one of the big hotels until she went out on her own. From the palm salad to the caribean shrimp she has masterd the art of cooking.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Calgary Alberta
“Good but not as good as the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

The food was good but not our favourite and frankly, we got a bit bored of listening to the owner ream out a girl of 4 or so pretty well from the moment we arrived until we left. We really dig the family atmosphere found at the typical beach soda but this wasn't what we were looking for. All three of us had something different. I am big on rice and beans so this restaurant was recommended and it is always dangerous when you enter expecting to get the very best rice and beans ever so it may have been different if I hadn't heard so much first.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“No Ambience, But Oh That Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Situated just three giant steps from the best hotel in Cocles and Puerto Viejo - Physis Caribbean B & B, Johanna's is the best soda around. For those of you have traveled in Costa Rica (CR), you know that a soda serves typical CR food - patacones (fried plantains), arroz (rice), frijoles (beans) along with carne/lomito (steak), pollo (chicken) y pescado (fish), camarones (shrimps), y longosta (lobster).

I ate here the first night in town - had the $20.00 lobster - fantastic! I mean, where you can find a $20.00 lobster? She cooks the plantains in butter, I think. Melts in your mouth! She also cooks the rice in coconut milk.

All the meals (6) I had here were delicious. Follow Jeremy's (owner of Physis) advice, and ask what's fresh (fresco). She'll tell ya.

The only reason I consider the atmosphere average, is because the restaurant seating looks out onto a road - not a busy road, but a road traveled by the occasional car, person, dog, or chicken. Not relevant for me - the food's the thing! If you're lucky enough to be staying at Physis, have them deliver to you.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Family Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Had supper at Johanna's, my wife and I had a wonderful Meal shrimp and rice, our friends had chicken with white sauce. This is located on a side road but well worth finding. I would recommend this place for anyone.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lincoln, California
“Best Soda in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Thank you again Johanna for the most wonderful steak, chicken, and shrimp meals!! It was so good to see you and the family again. You are still the best cook we know in the area!! It also helps that you are right next door to the best Bed & Breakfast (Physis Caribbean) in town too! TT & Don

Visited December 2013