“Warning: Monkeys are Awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Kukula Lodge

You added La Kukula Lodge to your Saves list
La Kukula Lodge
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Playa Chiquita, Puerto Viejo 73000, Costa Rica | Carretera a Manzanillo, km 6, Puerto Viejo 73000, Costa Rica, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 7300, Costa Rica   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
10% off room rate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Warning: Monkeys are Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

A buddy and I stayed at La Kukula and had a great experience!

Having just stayed at another local hotel, I was a little bit disappointed when we arrived. There was no little bar or restaurant or people hanging around and it seemed really isolated. That disappointed lasted about 12 seconds before meeting Pepo and his family.

We had a couple of unforgettable nights with the jungle sounds and monkeys directly overhead in the trees. It's probably an 8 minute walk to two of the loveliest beaches you'll ever see. A handful of small restaurants, all good quality.

Best part was laying in the hammock on the porch at night in the darkness listening to jungle sounds.

We'll be back!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in the lodge, a few years ago, close to its opening, for our honeymoon, before having children.
This was our most memorable, exciting vacation ever.
The location, in the middle of the jungle, a walking distance from the beach was perfect. The hotel is deeply integrated into its environment. Nothing like watching a sloth or an iguana in action.
But the most important part was Pepo And Sonia, the owners who are the most incredible, welcoming hosts in the world. It is already been a couple of years since we've been there, but we never stop planning our return there, together with our son who will surely love all the crazy animals and nature, surrounding this magical kingdom. We love this place an fantasize about going back very often. Love, Assaf and Nivi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was my second time at La Kukula, and it is an absolutely amazing place to stay. It is in the middle of the jungle and in front of the Caribbean Sea, in Playa Chiquita, easily one the most beautiful beaches you'll ever get to see. Rooms are super-comfortable, clean and safe. Totally recommended if you want to see all kind of animals around: frogs, lizards, sloths, monkeys, tucans... Thanks to Sonia and Pepo to make me feel like home. La Kukula is definitely become one of my favorite places on earth.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Small size lodge ideally located 200m from beach and away from more crowded puerto viejo, "embedded" in the tropical forest.
Comfortable rooms with nice design and minimal environment impact.
Warm and helpful service from Pepo the spanish owner and his crew. Table-served breakfast (one of the best we had in costa rica) changing every day. Cheap laundry.
I wish we stayed a couple days more !

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I spent 4 nights in La Kukula at the end of my 3-week trip in Costa Rica and it was the cherry on the cake. I was travelling on my own and I was looking for safe, relaxing and affordable accommodation in Puerto Viejo. Pepo and Sonia, who ran la Kukula, made me feel welcome from the very beginning. They both show a real interest in their guests, which I did appreciate very much. La Kukula is located in Playa Chiquita, 5km from Puerto Viejo. I loved its secluded location, one feels as in the middle of the rainforest (yet manicured paths to get to the rooms). Every night one sleeps with an animal noise lullaby: frogs, monkeys, birds, you name it! In the morning, I felt rested and ready for the yummiest breakfasts in Costa Rica. Breakfast is different every day; during my stay it included freshly squeezed juices, home-made bread and jams, sandwiches, crepes and pancakes. As much as I love gallo pinto and eggs, it was refreshing to have a more "European" breakfast style.
The rooms are beautiful! The design is lovely, yet practical and suited for the challenges of the environment it is meant to serve. The wood cabins are elevated ( so no crawling animals got in my room at all), high ceilings, mosquito nets, fan, comfy bed, safe and space for your belongings. The en suite bathroom is large with a power shower and lovely views to the outside. Excellent lighting, thought to avoid insects as much as possible and to induce guests to tranquility and peace. Rooms also have a front deck fitted with a table and chairs and a hammock. I found the whole setting perfect for my needs. I was also very lucky with my next door neighbours: quiet and respectful of my rest!
In front of the hotel there is Playa Chiquita, a very quiet beach where I was pretty much on my own most days. I strongly recommend to rent a bike for those of you who want to move around, distances are short and the rides are beautiful. Several good restaurants around the corner (some even walking distance) and a very good vibe everywhere. Playa Chiquita is formed of quite a cosmopolitan crowd, surprising for such a small place.
If you ask, yes! I would go back tomorrow! Gracies, Sonia i Pepo per fer-me sentir tan be i compartir amb els viatgers del mon el vostre petit lloc en el mon; molta sort amb els vostres projectes i fins aviat ¡

Stayed August 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am a single mom and was traveling through Costa Rica with my 5 year old in May this year. This place is a wonderful eco-lodge for singles, families and couples in the middle of a jungle. It is quiet and away in the jungle, and yet within the walking distance from the beach and a convenience store and several cafes and little restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised by the modern and sustainable design of the lodges. (The showers have big windows, you can see the trees, they have huge shower heads and real HOT WATER!) These bungalows have screened walls so you hear all the animals and frogs who are right there, around the house. This was the end of our 2 week trip, but I had not heard so many jungle creatures while staying anywhere else in Costa Rica. I had gotten used to howler monkeys by then, but there were a couple of other animals that were making scary sounds during the night. Pepo had explained it to me and my 5 year old that these were frogs and brought us to a night walk with flash-lights looking for different frogs by the swimming -pool. very sweet of him! Pepo, the owner, is a wonderfully cordial, sociable and polite gentleman from Europe. He would come out every morning for breakfast to greet us and introduce the menu. This was very sweet. Breakfasts were delicious, with lots of fruit and fresh juices but always with some variety of other foods. (We stayed for 4 nights and breakfasts were always different).

Back to the lodges. We stayed in a suit, where there were 3 adjacent suits. Each of them goes out to a terrace, where there is a little table and chairs and a hammock (your own for every suit). We had our meals out on a terrace and my son loved the hammock. It was nice to be there with a book during the tropical rain. The rooms were impeccably clean.

In short, if you want to be close to nature, to enjoy some quiet time with the sounds and colors of the jungle- this is the place! La Kukula has a family feel to it. The ocean is withing 10 minutes walking distance. There is a path through the forest, where you can see termites and lots of crabs and even snakes! The ocean shore is secluded, there aren't many people there, it's not a beach per se. But you can stroll there enjoying the views and there are some natural little bays and basins where you can let your kids swim safely and not worry about the current. Thank you, La Kukula!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

A peaceful lodge tucked away in the jungle. Wonderful owners: Pepo and Sonia went out of their way to know each guests name, pointing out the abundant wildlife around the property. Sonia's homemade breads and fruit preserves for breakfast were amazing.
10minute walk to the beach, 5 minute walk to the grocery store and restaurants.
Hidden gem, for sure.
Be prepared for a 5am wake-up every morning by the howler monkeys. All part of the experience.

Room Tip: Rent a bicycle for $5/day.