“Paradise in the Jungle with a Delicious French Breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Korrigan Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Korrigan Lodge
You added Korrigan Lodge to your Saves list
Punta Uva | Korrigan Lodge - Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Paradise in the Jungle with a Delicious French Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Have you ever visited a place so magical that no words can really describe it? Well, that’s the kind of place that Korrigan Lodge is – no words truly do it justice! My review is long overdue and it’s partially due to the fact that I couldn’t find the right words for Korrigan Lodge.

First, let me tell you that all the positive things you read are absolutely 100% true! I researched the area extensively before visiting. I chose to book our stay at Korrigan Lodge because I thought it looked to be exactly the kind of place that we like to stay at and also because the reviews were all so positive about everything. We HATE gigantic all-inclusive types of places. We prefer the smaller, more quaint, more personal places, like Korrigan Lodge.

They have four beautiful bungalows that are set in an amazing jungle setting. It feels like you’re a million miles away from civilization while staying in their bungalows, but yet it’s only about a 10 minute walk to the most gorgeous beach you’ve ever walked on.

The owners that built and run this place are some of the sweetest, most helpful people I’ve ever met. Ingrid and Erwan are there to help you with whatever you need – restaurant recommendations, a guide recommendation, booking excursions, etc. Their children are absolutely adorable too. My daughter (age 9) had fun running around with Yuenn (spelling?). I think he was about 6 at the time and although he only spoke French/Spanish and my daughter spoke English, they had a great time playing together. I guess they spoke the international language of “friendship”.

We enjoyed getting to know Ingrid and Erwan. It was amazing learning about how they came to be in Punta Uva and build this beautiful place. I think they have a wonderful life and everyone who meets them can see that this is a labor of love for them. They were so kind that they even had a BBQ for us one night with the fish/lobster my husband caught out on a boat.

The four course breakfasts that the French owners made were to die for!!! I don’t think I’ve ever been so well fed in my life! This was one of the many reasons it was very hard to leave! They started you off with juice, a large plate of tropical fruit, yogurt with granola, a daily baked item that they made (REAL French toast, chocolate croissants, etc.), delivered daily fresh bread from the bakery, and then eggs with bacon or sausage! It was the BEST way to fill up before having a lot of fun. We would just eat the breakfast, then maybe grab a little treat at the local bakery in the afternoon, and then eat dinner out somewhere. My daughter and I are still dreaming about those chocolate croissants!!! Best ones we’ve ever had! The area where the breakfast is served is super cute with the little table/chairs. It’s a great place to just relax at any point in your day also.

We stayed in the Avel bungalow and it was perfect for the three of us. The bed was so comfortable! My daughter had her own twin bed with mosquito netting to use also. I think the bungalows are so beautiful, relaxing and comfortable. It’s true that they don’t have air conditioning and it gets quite hot/humid. However, I do think the fact that they’re in the jungle under the canopy really helps the heat. We loved the porch on our bungalow. Every morning when we’d wake up we’d find that our daughter was out on the porch swinging in the hammock with her good buddy, Bassam nearby. Again, as everyone states, he is the most amazing dog ever! He totally walked us to the beach multiple times while we were there and he truly does guard your stuff! He’s a super sweet dog.

The gardens that surround the bungalows is absolutely beautiful. We had a such a great time exploring looking at all the plants and animals. We frequently saw sloths, toucans, monkeys and others. I think my most favorite thing about staying here was having the middle of the night (usually 4 or 5 a.m.) wake up call from the troop of howler monkeys! Honestly there is nothing more cool! I am so not an early morning person either, but I loved this experience. We were at Korrigan’s for ten glorious days. It wasn’t until our last night there that we actually thought about recording this sound! They were really loud that night. We both sat up in bed and just listened and tried to look outside, even though it was pitch black. We were so mesmerized by it that it was almost over when we both said, “We should be recording this!” I have since played back that short clip (since we were hypnotized by it we only got about a minute of it recorded) for people back here in the U.S. and they are amazed by it. If you’ve never heard a howler monkey, it is an experience!

I really liked the location of Korrigan Lodge for many reasons. I like how it’s south of Puerto Viejo, as that place has around 3,000 people and I liked being away from all that, but close enough to drive into town for meals. People bike everywhere around in this area, but I was really glad to have a car. It definitely gives you a lot more freedom. I also liked that KL was very close to Manzanillo. It is a village of about 300 people and we LOVED it! The beach/coast in this area is amazing. We spent a lot of time here. They also have the best guide ever, Abel Bustamante! You must give him a call to set up tours when you are there. One of the best things we did on our trip was to go to the indigenous village of Yorkin with him. We rode in a dugout canoe up the river. The trip was great and he is fantastic! He also offers a lot of other tours. He’s the first house on the right as you drive into Manzanillo. I think he has a sign posted out front.

We had a lot of great excursions: zip lining, fishing, Yorkin, Manzanillo/Gandoca hike, Nature Observatorio, Jaguar Rescue Center, and a lot of beach exploring/snorkeling on our own. We loved this area and will definitely be back!!!

If you have questions about my review, I’d be happy to answer them – just send me a message. We highly recommend Korrigan Lodge and hope to make it back there one day!

P.S. I almost forgot! If you take Bassam to the beach, his most favorite thing is for you to hold him like a baby in the water! He will swim out into the water with you and if you put your arms under his belly to hold him up he will literally stay there forever! He stayed in my arms like that for a good half hour!

Room Tip: Avel is perfect for three people. We - my husband, me and 9 year old daughter stayed there. It was g...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Korrigan Lodge this past week. Erwan and Ingrid were incredibly hospitable, and Bassam the dog escorted us to beach every day. The lodge is perfectly located just south of Puerto Viejo, where it's a bit quieter and less touristy. We saw howler monkeys, sloths, and toucans on our very first day, and we had the beach nearly to ourselves. If the Korrigan has availability during your time in Costa Rica, book it now!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just returned from three nights at Korrigan Lodge. All the positive reviews express here we share. It is not No 1 in Costa Rica by chance. I most certainly recommend at least a three night stay here. This place was the best stay during our 15 night tour. 10 out of 10 perfection.

Room Tip: There are four 'bungalows' all of which look great. Ours was named Heol.
Cassville, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Perfect vacation! I can't say enough good things about Korrigan Lodge! This place is Awesome! We were at Korrigan for two weeks! We traveled in a group of 8 so we had all the bungalows! The owners Erwan and Ingrid are the nicest hosts ever! They are extremely helpful with anything you need. They speak French, Spanish and English! Pretty cool! Their dog Bassam is the best, very friendly! We fell in love with him! He walks you to the beach and guards your stuff while you're swimming! The property at Korrigan Lodge is so gorgeous! The trees, plants and flowers are amazing! The wild life there is abundant, we saw monkeys, sloths, toucans, geckos, snakes, spiders and lots of beautiful birds and butterflies! The bungalows are very nice and comfortable and are cleaned each day! The breakfast that's included is delicious! Fresh fruit, yogurt and granola, fresh baked croissants, fresh bread for toast, eggs how you want them cooked and bacon or sausage! Only a five minute walk to the beach and a convenience store! Really great place to stay! We can't wait to go back! Best vacation ever! Thank you Erwan and Ingrid for a fabulous time at Korrigan Lodge! Andrea and Pete

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just trust me and experience this place for yourself. Absolute Perfection! All the previous reviews are spot on! The accommodations, location, the Croissants, the owners, their adorable children, Bassam the Wonder Dog, are what makes this place a true GEM of the Caribbean. Stop looking at other Lodges and just book ASAP. Your search is over....what are you waiting for??!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I just got back from a stay at the Korrigan Lodge. Hands down, this was my favorite place that we stayed in all of Costa Rica! As luck would have it, my boyfriend and I ended up being the only guests who stayed at Korrigan that particular weekend. We got to know Erwan and his family, who are really lovely people. Erwan served us breakfast every morning, which was really fresh and delicious. Their dog, Bassam, adds to the charm of the lodge. Bassam accompanied us to the beach every day and kept watch over our belongings....we also snuck in some time for fetch and watched him frolick through the ocean.

The bungalow itself was clean and gorgeous and really made us feel like we were in the jungle (even though we were only 5 minutes from the beach)! Being so close to the beach but waking up to the sounds of howler monkeys was really the best of both worlds. I can't wait to come back one day.

Room Tip: The Koad bungalow is one of the furthest from the road.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed in KOAD for one week at the beginning of our 25 days trip in CR. The cabin is well built and tastefully furnished and decorated. Very cozy and very clean.
The nearby beach is one of my favorite beaches in CR, not crowded, and good for swimming as the waves are not too big.
Erwan and Ingrid are awesome hosts. They gave us plentiful of information about the area and helped us book some tours. The breakfast is plentiful (fruits, yoghurt, juice, coffee, croissants, toasts, eggs and your choice of bacon or sausage)
Thank you Erwan and Ingrid for your warm hospitalities. Hoping to be able to return somedays.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Korrigan Lodge? Share your experiences!