“I thought I had posted this sooner!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Korrigan Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Korrigan Lodge
You added Korrigan Lodge to your Saves list
Punta Uva | Korrigan Lodge - Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“I thought I had posted this sooner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I was just looking through my TA reviews, and noticed that a review I thought I had posted for Korrigan Lodge was missing?! Not sure what happened -- so this is about 2.5 years late (we traveled in August 2011) -- but I remember the place well, and thankfully had made a blog posting, too . . . so here goes!

I stayed at the Korrigan Lodge with my two girls -- ages 7 and 9, at the time -- for 3 nights at the end of a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. We LOVED our stay here, and I sincerely hope we're able to visit again someday.

This lodge has four small self-standing rooms (like little cabins, but with sleeping area and bathroom only) with front porches with hammocks. It is set in an wooded area just steps from Punta Uva beach and it is BEAUTIFUL! There is great attention to detail in everything from the furnishings to the delicious breakfast that is served and included in the price, to all of the interactions with the owners.

The lodge is located just a 5 minute walk from the beach, and the owners' dog accompanies you, if desired! Both on the property as well as at the beach we saw numerous monkeys, sloths, insects, tarantulas . . .

There's also plenty to do in the area. We had an absolutely amazing dinner at Refugio Grill -- outdoor seating (only 4-5 tables, I think) by candlelight, steps from the beach. We also did a guided cacao plantation tour (I believe it was HERE, but I'm not sure!), visited the Jaguar Rescue Center (the kids LOVED this!), and had a private guided tour of the jungle down around Manzanillo -- a fantastic, interesting day with an amazing guide!

Puerto Viejo is worth a visit, of course, but it's very small and a little "rough around the edges". I took no photos while I was in town, mainly because I didn't feel comfortable carrying around an expensive camera. You're safe, but I'd say a little vigilance and common sense is in order...

I wish I had spent MORE time down in Manzanillo. Some of the remote beaches that can be reached from a short walk through the jungle are stunning . . . plan some time there, if you can, just do NOT bring anything of value with you that you'll need to leave on the beach if you go for a swim.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We are a couple who spent 4 nights at Korrigan Lodge. There is a lighted sign on the main road (right side of road coming from Puerto Viejo, shortly after a white sign for Manzanillo) making it easy to find at night. The bungalows are small (perfect for 2) but very comfortable with a Queen size bed and a lovely tiled bathroom. Everything is nicely screened and tight so the mosquitoes stay outside. The room has a high ceiling with fan as well as screened window and screened sliding doors for air circulation and to allow you to enjoy the sounds of nature. There is a combination safe for your valuables which was large enough for our laptop computer and a few other items, a small refrigerator, and a security alarm system. You ascend about 4 steps to the small covered porch which has built in seating and a hammock. The owner shows you how to light the mosquito coil, which has a lovely scent, so you can lounge outside without being bothered and this worked very well to keep the mosquitos away. We found that the low bed height was a problem for my husband, who has knee problems, so the owners brought in an additional mattress which raised the height of the bed for him; they also brought in additional pillows upon request. We were both quite comfortable and he was able to sleep well. An ample, delicious breakfast is included, and the hosts will explain local activities and help you book tours, as well as spot wildlife around the property. There is no pool, but you come for the beaches, and there are many beautiful beaches in the area from which to choose. Snorkeling is best in September or October when the waters are calm. I snorkeled all over the reef close to shore near Punta Uva (mid January) and saw plenty of coral, but the wave action was high so the fish were hiding. We enjoyed our stay at this intimate, very clean retreat. I recommend you bring sandals for the beach and closed toe shoes for hiking. We saw howler monkeys, several types of frogs, toucans and iguana around the bungalows. The trees are tall, so binoculars can be helpful for spotting wildlife overhead. Ingrid and Erwan are very nice hosts.

Room Tip: Ask the hosts for suggestions if you have special needs or preferences. The bungalows are about the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I just returned from only two nights (they were completely booked or we would've stayed longer) but will definitely be returning again! Everything that has been said is true...I even brought a big rawhide bone for the famous dog! We have a home in Costa Rica and often take trips to different beaches (up until now only on the Pacific side because of talk about how dangerous this side is) but after staying there, all our fears are gone! The owners were as everyone says...I actually had a tear in my eye saying goodbye to the wife and her beautiful French accent! I need the recipe for the chocolate chip croissants! We brought bug spray but weren't bothered by mosquitoes at all! The husband missed his TV, but the wifi made his life bearable...and with the ocean and jungle right there, the views made his TV programs look pretty sad! Thanks again for your hospitality and hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The jungle surrounding the rooms is lush and crawling with amazing creatures! The calming noises of the atmosphere, alone, is worth the stay. The roofs of the bungalows are a sturdy canvas material (not sure what the actual term for the material is), and the sound of the late night rain falling above is one of the most relaxing things I have ever experienced.

If you are a breakfast person, this is the place for you. They serve a gorgeous four-course meal, complete with croissants (sometimes chocolate), fresh tropical fruit, yogurt and granola, and eggs with your choice of breakfast meat. In addition, the coffee and juice is fantastic. Their breakfast inspired my night-owl of a husband to get up and eat breakfast, and that is a miracle in itself!

The owners are such beautiful people. They have had extremely interesting experiences in their lives, and it is such a pleasure to talk with them. They are friendly, extremely knowledgeable about the area, and give great suggestions for fun excursions that cannot be missed while you are in Costa Rica.

You really can't miss staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

my husband and I went there for our honeymoon. we loved the place, the owners are the most hospitable and nicest people you can ask for. they help you finding the tours, give you the best advices on what to do, etc. the breakfast was so good! the location is perfect, close to few not so busy and very nice beaches. we would love to go back there again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Smithfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We returned from a 6 night stay at Korrigan Lodge on Nov 30th. I HIGHLY recommend staying here while in Costa Rica. The owners are wonderful and bend over backwards to assist you in all your needs. I "ditto" all the reviews written on Trip Advisor. The breakfast is amazing every morning. The beach is wonderful. And Bassam... oh how we miss this wonderful dog. You will fall in love with him by the time you leave. He is a very special dog. We will be back to visit and I wouldn't stay any place else while in Costa Rica but the Korrigan Lodge. Erwan and Ingrid are wonderful hosts and made our trip one we will always remember.

Room Tip: You will be happy with any bungalow you choose.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Wow.... How to sum up our feelings about Korrigan? We just left for our 10 day stay...The stunning bungalows that Ingrid and Erwan have had constructed are beautiful, but even more than that- they are truly special people who pour their hearts into what they do. They are so kind and generous- and will help with absolutely anything you need. They go above and beyond any other place we have ever stayed and made our honeymoon absolutely perfect!!!! Korrigan lodge is gorgeous and is in the perfect location if you want a laid back area with lots of wildlife and stunning beaches. The breakfast is absolutely delicious- and HUGE although my fiancé did not mind helping me finish it off each morning!! :-) (Erwan makes such great French toast and eggs and bacon..... And Ingrid brings in croissants to die for!- along with fresh fruits and yogurt). Ingrid and Erwan have great recommendations on what to do in the area. We loved the Jaguar Center, the 1/2 day jungle hike in Manzanillo with a local named Michael (this was amazing and we learned so much and got to see so much!!), snorkeling for 4 hours and we loved our massages at Pure Jungle Spa. Our favorite part of the area is the beautiful Punta Uva beach which is walking/biking distance. During the week hardly anyone is there and it is so gorgeous. Our favorite part of the stay was Bassam...... We absolutely loved having him come to the beach with us and play with us. He would watch our stuff while we swam and would oftentimes swim with us! He slept on our steps and we became very attached to him. We wanted to take him in our luggage- but I don't think Ingrid and Erwan would have liked that! He really feels like your dog by the end of the stay, all of which adds to the charm and fondness you acquire after staying here. It is not just a place to stay... It's an experience. We cannot wait to come back! A few of our favorite places in the area to eat-- El Refugio Grill is a must for dinner. Absolutely delicious and our favorite! Pita Bonita has great Mediterranean food, pura gula is very good for dinner. All those are biking distance. We also liked Kira's for empanadas in Cocleas-- but you have to take the bus for this if you didn't rent a car. The beach there is also pretty even though it's busier there. So much to see and do, but you will not be disappointed if you go to Korrigan Lodge. They set up the rooms so beautifully and make you feel at home..... And even had champagne for us one night for our honeymoon. I am surprised it is so affordable here, too, which was a huge plus for us. This is such an amazing jewel in the jungle- and you will feel a piece of it in your heart even when you leave!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Korrigan Lodge? Share your experiences!