“A Great Help In Need” 4 of 5 stars

Playa Cocles, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica   |
Denver, Colorado
“A Great Help In Need”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Petra really came thru for us when friends of ours had a guest staying with them at their home, who was a Vietnam Veteran having severe leg problems with infection. While we were staying with our friends, they had a situation where a renter/housesitter became very ill and had to be taken to the doctors. Our friends contacted Petra where a room became available for us for the remainder of our stay. Room was clean with airconditioning, hotel across from the beach but has a pool, and breakfast is included. Try Petra's cookies with a cup of coffee--OMG! Jose and the german shepards look a little ruff. But get friendly the longer you stay. I enjoyed they kept beach traffic out! and guests securely in.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter not over the bar-it closes at 9 pm If you choose the Pico breakfast b...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I read reviews about the manager (owner?) being somewhat gruff, but figured I would try it anyway. When I first walked up to the window, not knowing where the desk was, he tried to ignore me and then I got his attention just motioned to a door and said "in there". Later, when I asked someone for a taxi, they told him to call and he did, but didn't even say a word to me after he hung up. Everyone stayed in the kitchen and laughed and talked and totally ignored me, even when I stood in front of them looking at them. When I first arrived about 2:45, my room wasn't ready. The lady yelled at someone to clean it and had me wait in the dining area (at least she did get me a coke). About 45 minutes later, I walked over to find my room ready to go, but I guess had I not gone to look I would have sat there all night because they didn't care to inform me it was ready. I got to my room, which was not too bad, a big bed and a bunk, but there were 3 windows, one of which was nailed open with no screen or grate. I have no problem with a fan and open windows when I am there, but I am supposed to leave all my stuff where someone can just hop right in and get it? Why even put a lock on the door? The safe was barely big enough to hold my camera, but my laptop would not even come close to fitting. On a positive note, the room was big and the shower was fantastic, and the shower was clean, although there was solid mildew on the painted parts of the bathroom walls. I took a quick shower, packed my things back up, and left. When I checked out, I simply told him to cancel my second night, keep my money for the first night, and we would call it even. It wasn't worth the 60 bucks to even try and argue with him. Sad, because it is such a good location and has such great potential, is a great looking place from the outside, but just a run down "I don't want you here feeling".

Room Tip: Pick a room in another place?
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

My brother and I stayed at La Isla for 2 nights in May. This was the second time I have moved to La Isla after bad experiences at another hotel and a private home. Petra and Jose have always been very accommodating and gracious. The rooms I stayed in were somewhat small but had great bathrooms and A/C, as well as a double bed and wood bunk beds. The breakfast was good and cooked to order. I also stayed here with my wife in 2009 and my brother in September 2010. I have family living in Puerto Viejo with small kids so we all really enjoyed the pool. La Isla is right across from the beach and close to town. I would recommend this hotel for the nice rooms, hospitable owners, and great location.

Room Tip: First floor rooms will stay cooler longer.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Our stay in the apartment at Isla Inn was great! We wanted "on the beach" and even though the apartment is on the second floor of the back building, there is a view of the ocean from the deck and from the sun room. The second-floor rooms in the front building have better views, but we preferred our more private deck with good wifi access. The open-air restaurant offers plenty of choices. Everything you're reading about cleanliness is true. We're kind of old and kind of lazy, so we chose to taxi to and from town (about $4 per trip) but after a few days we discovered good restaurants in easy walking distance (Azania was our favorite). We recommend La Isla especially for younger folks or families with teens. If we have an opportunity to go back with our grandkids, we will stay here again - where the surfing action is. If we're on our own we may opt for one of the lovely newer rooms on Black Beach. However that in no way reflects poorly on La Isla; Petra could not have been more accommodating from our first inquiry through our last day's requests. We have NO regrets about our choice of hotels for our first trip to Puerto Viejo.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Orange, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

We can NOT recommend this hotel. Based on the reviews here we booked a 4 night stay. We ended up leaving the first night. Room was stifling hot with a less than adequate fan. Wifi did NOT work in our room. Bugs are abundant. Manager Jose was downright gruff, unfriendly and offered no help/apologies. It may be right across the road from the beach but there are MUCH better hotels nearby. If the management had offered even the tiniest effort to rectify any of the issues, we would have stayed. Great location, horrible rooms, management.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Pinole, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

This hotel/Inn offered just what we needed while staying on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. We wanted to be able to walk/bike to and from the little town of Puerto Viejo. Be directly across from the beach and have meals, drinks, air conditioning, a clean pool, TV and night security. When we booked our trip we were booked at one on the best places to stay so the tour guide said. (1 of the top 5) Well we found out it was not the best for us. We are active senior citizens and being from the San Francisco bay area, we needed a little comfort. After viewing our $87.50 American money, per night, dirty bungalow with an over head fan (that clanged), 3 large windows only 2 covered with screens, two netted beds and nothing to place the luggage on or sit other then the beds. We were beside ourselves. It did offer a restaurant and bar but not across from the beach and to far from town. (for walking) We immediately decided to look for another place to stay. On the way to town checking all the hotels we were very lucky to find an opening at the La Isla Inn. It was much closer to town and the price was much lower plus they offered everything we wanted. We had to stay the night in the sticky bug buzzing bungalow and after talking and talking to the tour agency and our first day there taking a cab to the other side of town to the agency we finely got the money transferred as we paid in advance to the tour company. (I do not know just why they booked that lodging for us because all of the other hotels/lodging were wonderful. You might have thought it was because we stayed at a bungalow well we stayed in a beautiful bungalow at Lomas del Volcan in the La Fatuna area. We could see the volcano from our back patio, with a beautiful full stocked bar and restaurant, air and TV for only $85.00 American money per night)
In the Puerto Viejo area you NEED insect repellent and air conditioning if you do not come from a humid area.
Petra, the owner of La Isla Inn was very nice and helped us with local tours and using their telephone. Breakfast was included with the 5 night stay and we totally enjoyed being across from the beach (the water is so blue and very warm) so we could not only hear the ocean but have a Imperial (the local beer) in the early evening and watch the waves...... .
If you would like some other information about our 2 week holiday in Costa Rico email us and we will give you some other good pointers...... We will post pictures when we get'em downloaded.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Went up and down from Puerto Viejo to Manzanillo few times, avoided at first to even go and ask for availability and price, because its on such a good spot. Beach is literally 10 steps away, breakfast is fabulous and staff, especially Petra,the owner, are so lovely. Beach has 3-4 surf schools, so there is plenty of entertainment . Village Puerto Viejo is few dollars (taxi ride) away for night life, if you haven't already rented a car or a bike. Jaguar rescue center where you can interact with animals and waterfalls are 5-10 mins distance. Free wifi. Big parking lot. You wont make a mistake if you choose it, budget permitting, ofcourse.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel La Isla Inn? Share your experiences!