“We can't wait to return to Hotel Playa Westfalia!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Playa Westfalia to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hotel Playa Westfalia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2km al sur del Aeropuerto Internacional de Limon | Carretera a Cahuita, Puerto Limon 70101, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 17 hotels in Puerto Limon
Chicago
“We can't wait to return to Hotel Playa Westfalia!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

From the moment we arrived, we were totally charmed by the entire property. Diana greeted us so warmly, and made sure we were happy with our room. We stayed in the master suite on the second floor. It was a beautiful room! My favorite room was the spacious bathroom with all the colorful tiles. The bed was very comfortable, and there was lots of storage shelves, drawers and closets for our belongings, with a safe in the bedroom. The suite also included a great kitchen, with a large fridge. We had air conditioning, which was a nice option when the weather got still. We opened our doors to a lovely tiled terrace where we could sit and watch the pool area and the restaurant below, and we could see through the palm trees to the ocean. Wendy always brought us our drinks by the pool with a big smile! The location was very close to downtown Limon, and not far from Cahuita. Diana highly recommended our guide, Reymond Smith. I can't say enough about him. He really made our vacation fantastic! He took us on a guided tour of Cahuita National Park, and went out of his way to show us sights we would have never seen, like a banana plantation and factory, and all around Limon, including the big Catholic church and a good seafood restaurant near the beach. We had everything we needed at the Hotel Playa Westfalia, and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Carribean Coast of Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I am sorry for such a late reply. For some reason, I was not notified of some of my reviews, yours being one of them. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and hope you can come again in the future!

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

I found the Hotel in my journey down the Carribean Cost side of the country and checked in to see about spending a night as I was quite road weary. Well, long story short , I ended up staying the entire week and plan on returning again and again. Diana and her Staff saw to it that any and every need was attended to and the rooms are kept immaculate. Breathtaking views of the ocean from the pool and dining area. Easily the best choice on the eastern side of the country.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
US/Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

This is a new hotel with large spacious rooms and an absolutely beautiful pool. It is located right on the beach. What a wonderful place to stay and be rested, relaxed, rejuvenated. The staff is excellent and will to do anything to make your stay an enjoyable one. I have highly recommended this hotel to all my friends. I'm sure they will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

This has to be the nicest hotel in the area, a couple of miles out of town. The manager, Diana, is charming and will make you feel welcome. The outdoor restaurant is modest but the rooms and ambience excellent. The beach sand was dark and not hospitable in December but there is an attractive small swimming pool.

• Liked — Tranquility and comfort
  • Disliked — Limited menu after a week!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

We originally planned to stay one night on our way to Panama, but ended up staying another night on our way back b/c we liked the hotel and its managers so well. This was the first time I had been to the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, and as I had heard, it was definitely not as nice as the Pacific Coast. Hotel Playa Westfalia is located about 10 minutes out of Limon and is definitely the nicest hotel in the area. We found Limon to be a dirty city and were honestly a little apprehensive about staying there until we got to the hotel. The hotel is nice (and has its own security at night) and located right on the beach. We were surprised at how rough the water was on the beach, but fortunately they also have a great pool.

The first night we stayed in a standard room which was spacious with a large patio, satellite tv, and wireless internet. There was also a mini-fridge partially stocked with beverages and snacks (for sale). The second night we stayed there they only had a suite left and although a little more expensive was very nice. It had a large living room, kitchen, and separate bedroom/bathroom, and best of all was situated directly on the beach.

What impressed us the most was how nice and accommodating the managers were. We didn't want to lug our big duffle bags to Panama with us so the manager agreed to store them for us for a couple of days free of charge. That impressed us so much that it was one of the reasons we decided to stay another night on our way back through.

The only complaint we had was that the restaurant was not very good and really upset our stomachs both times we ate there (and we had different menu items both times). Unfortunately there was not anywhere else close by to eat.

Other than that though, our stay was great, and if you plan to be in the Limon area, this is definitely the place to stay. If you don't need to stay in Limon, I would suggest checking out Puerto Viejo which is a little farther south, as it looked like a much nicer area.

• Liked — Staff, rooms, location on the beach
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
McMinnville, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

I think this hotel is one of best values anywhere. It is a very nice facility and the staff is even better. The hotel is small enough that they can and do give you their personal attention and you feel like you could be the only people there. The location is beautiful and entirely distinct from other areas of Costa Rica. However, I feel compelled to address something completely beyond the control of the fine people at Westfalia. We were aware of the reputation the Caribbean area has for crime and our experience indicates that reputation is well deserved. For the first time in years of traveling we were victimized by thieves. Four hoodlums stole our backpacks in the Braulio Carrillo National Park on the drive from San Jose to the Caribbean. We could have been more careful and if I make another trip there I certainly will be and there is no question that I will be staying at this hotel.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — the area is crime ridden
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

I was there on business. I'd tried two other hotels... the first was awful.... horrible food, no internet, no mobile coverage. The second (The Park) was better, good food, mobile coverage, but wi-fi only in the lobby. And too "busy".

Found this place on this site!

Wi-fi in the rooms, good food, mobile in the open air restaurant (not the hotel's fault!).

The staff were great and Diana, the Manageress couldn't have been more helpful.

The rooms were super, and they had mini bars with stuff in them! A rarity in North America!!

A great place to unwind after a busy day. This must be the best hotel in the area.

• Liked — High standards for location
  • Disliked — No desk in room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Playa Westfalia? Share your experiences!