“Relax, you're on the beach!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Westfalia

Booking.com Otel.com
Hotel Playa Westfalia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2km al sur del Aeropuerto Internacional de Limon | Carretera a Cahuita, Puerto Limon 70101, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 17 hotels in Puerto Limon
Nashville, TN
“Relax, you're on the beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed Hotel Playa Westfalia with my boyfriend as we traveled to Puerto Viejo. We actually stayed here an extra night because we found it so delightful. My favorite thing about this place was watching the waves crash onto the beach every morning as we ate delicious breakfast in the open-air restaurant. They served us the best coffee and great scrambled eggs with beans and rice. Also, the rooms are nice and spacious, and the A/C works wonderfully (for my fellow hot-blooded Americans). The pool is lovely and cool, and very family friendly. You will most likely encounter kids while staying here, but it's certainly not a problem. The beach is hop away from the hotel, and I highly recommend watching a sunrise from it. The beach itself has some natural debris (such as trees - no big deal at all) and seems less populated in this town. If you want to spend a day on a quiet, natural beach, Playa Westfalia is prime for that. Make sure to introduce yourself to the lovely general manager Diana. She made us feel very welcomed and we were so very grateful for her hospitality. Also, the staff provide very professional service.

Room Tip: Our room was on the side closest to the road. I heard trucks sometimes at night if I left my window...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thanks for your review and the time you took to write it. We are so happy you enjoyed yourself and hope that you visit us again.

I am especially luky to have a great mnager (Diana) and such great employees that always try to help the guests and make a positive impression.

Again, Thank You!

Michael & Marilyn

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
West Bloomfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel our first two nights in Costa Rica. The view from the hotel restaurant was beautiful, and the ocean was a nice calm way to be greeted to the country. The restaurant's food was very good, but from here this hotel went downhill.

In a country with this climate it is to be expected to have some bugs in the rooms, what we were not expecting were scattering bugs in the bathroom when we turned on the lights. The room had a musty smell, and we could not really alleviate this, because the air conditioning unit did not work. The hot water also did not work, nor did the phone, which was challenging as we needed it to confirm our reservation for the next day. It was extremely hot and humid, so in some ways the shower not providing hot water was not horrible... but it did take your breathe away first thing in the morning. The other negative was the pool. It was very pretty, and has ocean views... but it is open to the public. This is not advertised, and they even have posted that pool users have a minimum bill they must spend... but this did not seem to be enforced, and both times we attempted to use the pool it was overflowing with kids treating it like a playground. Not a peaceful, relaxing setting for a way to unwind. The patio furniture is bolted down, so moving away from the noise was not really an option, and even the hot-tub was overflowing with kids because it was the same exact temperature as the pool.

The only reason we did not give this hotel a 2 star review is the view, the restaurant (very yummy, but slow service), and the people that were very friendly. We also had an impromptu dinner hosted by the Mayor of Limon and got to enjoy their music they brought in for dinner one night.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor closest to the street, room 4. Heard a few large trucks at night. The roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Hello;

First I am sorry you did not enjoy yourself at our hotel. I have contacted my manager and she has told me that she does not know why your AC and water heater would not be working as she has not had any complaints either before or after you. She will be checking into that and wishes you had mentioned it at the time you stayed so she could have had it addressed. Mystifying but the only thing I could think of was possibly a circuit breaker in the electrical panel. The musty smell she said comes from our excessive rainy season this year as do the bugs. Although we spray often, the battle is always uphill. I guess that comes from the tropical area.

She did think she remembered you and that she thought you had stayed on a Thursday & Friday which are usually not that buy around the pool area. The minimum billing is only applied to non-guests, not yourself. We are a small hotel and depend on revenue from our restaurant and bar to survive. If we were larger of course it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I hope that the rest of your trip went well and that you had a great time in Costa Rica. It's a wonderful country.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed one night at the westfalia resort. 7 miles south of porta limone. We traveled around the east coast for a day. and decided to stay another night, because of the hotel and the people there. Diana Mapi the manager was very nice and helpful. Kudos to her and her help.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the a/c is working and the fans are quiet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I am sorry for such a late reply. For some reason, I was not notified of some of my reviews, yours being one of them. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and hope you can come again in the future!
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Hotel Westfalia was the perfect place for us to stay before we went to Tortuguero. We had the room on the ground floor right next to the pool. The room was spacious and very clean. We had internet access. The pool area was very nice. The restaurant area is more like a soda, but was fine for what we needed. Dianna, the manager, let us leave our car in the parking lot when we left (in a taxi to catch the boat) to go to Tortuguero for the night since we were not comfortable leaving the car at the dock. She even let us leave our extra luggage in their storage room for extra security. We would recommend Westalia to families and couples. It is right on the beach and has a large area with a volleyball net. You might not want to swim in the ocean right there, but it's a nice walk and a beautiful area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sharon, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I gave this a 4 stars because we got a room with two double beds, a kitchenette, and a sitting/lounge room and a huge bathroom, all for a decent price. The pool was cleaned daily and was nice to go in. The staff do not really speak english, although we found one that could and communicated through her the whole time.

As for the location; it is 5 minutes outside of Limon, a town you only want to drive through as it looks dirty and seedy. We stopped at a fruit market and some kids tried to get us to pay for watching the car and we were very out of place.

The beach that is right in front of the hotel is littered with debris from the ocean, and the mosquitoes are atrocious. We used half a bottle of deet in 2 days. It rained for almost the whole time we were on the carribean side. This all has nothing to do with the hotel, it is just the environment as someone else mentioned.

An hour south is Puerto Viejo, worth a visit but only for a day in my opinion.

I wouldn't visit this side of the country again.

Room Tip: We had room 3 which was huge.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Hi Matthew;

Sorry for the late reply, but I thought I had responded and just noticed that I actually responded to someone with the same concerns that stayed just the week before you. Here is a cpy of that reply:

March 22, 2012

I am sorry for the lack of English speaking staff during your visit. Two of our management staff left recently and it is hard to find people to replce them quickly. My manager Diana,Maya has recently begun English lessons for all the staff in hopes of making them all much better at communicating in the future.

I wish I could do something about the mosquitos, but unfortunately they are a part of life in the Caribbean, and if you really want to see mosquitos, try a little town on the Pacific side called Playa Zancudo (Mosquito Beach).

I hope that you will come back and try us again some time in the future!
Hasselt, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Staff was friendly but couldn't almost any English. At the time we where there the weather was bad, always rain and a lot of mosquitos but of course this has nothing to do with the hotel, more with the environment. I wouldn't go back at that side of the country.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this review, March 22, 2012

I hope that you will come back and try us again some time in the future!
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Diana, the manager, is wonderful. Organized everything for our trip. had dinner ready for us upon our arrival. Organized a shuttle from san jose airport to her resort and also a cab the following morning to the moin boat launch to go to Tortuguero. Can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Playa Westfalia? Share your experiences!