“Single backpacker” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Mariposa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chirripo National Park
Casa Mariposa
San Gerardo de Rivas, Chirripo National Park, Costa Rica   |
London, England, United Kingdom
“Single backpacker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Brilliant for a number of reasons
-Fantastic location next to the trail head
-Rents good equipment for the hike
-Fantastic hostel, with lovely kitchen and great rooms
-Welcoming hosts

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I can't recommend this place more. I unfortunately had to spend the night elsewhere before I hiked Chirripo as Casa Mariposa was full, but was able to stay on our way down. I wish I would have been able to spend my night before the hike here. Casa Mariposa is everything you want in a hostel: comfortable, welcoming, helpful, and relaxing. The rooms offer some separation when you want it and the social area and kitchen is great for talking to others before/after your hike. Jill and John are fantastic and make you feel like you're in your own home. It's the last hostel in town, but don't get distracted by other hostels on your way to it. The walk and wait is worth the hike. They're also the closest to the Chirripo entrance so starting your hike from here is as easy as you can make it.

They will rent you most things you'll need for the hike and are willing to lend you warm clothes in the event that you forgot something. I spent two nights here after my hike and then returned one more time at the end of my travels in Costa Rica just to experience Casa Mariposa again. It was by far my favorite hostel experience in all of Costa Rica that I had during the three months I was traveling.

What not to miss while you're there: Jill's homemade Chirriposa bars (seriously), the shower, the hammocks.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I was travelling alone in C.R., the bus left me near the soccer field at about 8.00pm,
i walked two kilometers along the road in the darkness...under the rain
with a broken umbrella and a small torch
when i reached the hostel i was wet...and also a bit scared
the hostel was already closed but fortunately when i rang the bell jill was awake!

the next day i went to the cherro chirripo peak and i was back the next one when, tired after the long walk, i had really the best hot bath of my life and in the evening i cooked a vegetarian couscous with five colibrì flying out of the window!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Moncton, NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Many people experience Casa Mariposa on their way to Chirripo, this was the case with myself and I was pleasantly surprised at just how warm and awesome this place is. It is the closest hostel to the park entrance, and the owners are very helpful. I would go here to stay even if not hiking the peak. So although I love to hike, the Mariposa, San Gerardo is very unique and a must see, off the beaten path, and so rich in true Costa Rican culture. It is not far from San Isidro, this town was one of the nicest non-tourist towns I have seen in Costa Rica. Wish I could have stayed longer.
Like the people who run Casa Mariposa, San Gerardo has a warm heart as many people are working with the locals here to improve things like education, quality of life and maintaining an organic way of life, through the availability of organic food and local craftmanship at the local markets.
Easiest to get to by car, fun as heck to get to by bus/foot !

Chirripo: One of the funnest hikes I've ever pieced together. Casa Mariposa also rents out necessary supplies for the hike, such as sleeping bags and jackets and cooking stoves. They sell some food, but you may want to bring your own for the hike. Feel free to pm me with questions.

Room Tip: they have both private and dorms, all are clean and really nice. There was this really cool cabin a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
U.K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in the jungle room for 4 nights in February, it was my favourite place that we stayed during our 4 week trip. The room is slightly open to the elements so won't be everyones cup of tea but we loved wrapping up in the multi blanketed bed and were never cold. The dining/ kitchen + social area is very nice and has a very pleasant relaxed ambience. Our hosts seemed to have achieved perfectly the fine balance between being available and helpful whilst allowing their guests privacy.
We had intended to climb Chirripo but were disappointingly unable to get tickets due to the corruption of some local park officials. I understand that the hostel owners are attempting to pressure the authorities to correct these abberations (Others do get tickets).
The area is very beautiful and the birdlife around the casa mariposa is extraordinary.
In a bid to provide balance to my otherwise entirely positive review I should add that the steps down from the jungle room to the shower are lethal!
Overall Casa Mariposa has a very good feel to it and is excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Jungle room is great if you don't mind a bit of a chill.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Our family with 4 grown up "children"stayed here for 4 nights in December. We had all 4 of the private rooms on the ground floor and they were cosy and comfortable. Jill has a basic store of dried foods and fresh produce so were were able to cook a meal the evening we arrived. Jill and John had plenty of really useful advice about Chirripo and other local attractions. 5 of us wanted to do the climb and managed to get daytickets by going down to the park office at 6.30am the next morning. After that we were able to stock up on supplies at the village store - I found they had everything we needed and prices were very reasonable considering the location. (on a side note we paid more for a litre of wine in the supermarket in the much more popular and easily accessible Maunel Antonio than here!).The climbers borrowed sleeping bags, a stove and warm clothes from the hostel and greatly enjoyed their hike, even though the weather wasn't great. We also hiked in Cloudbridge and saw monkeys and a couple of Tayra and visited the hot springs. I can highly recommend Casa Mariposa as a really comfortable, homely and friendly place to stay. Enjoy your hike!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Casa Mariposa is a very sympathic hostal with all comfort in a remote site. Birdwatching and bath in the cascade are included. The showers are not always hot, but hot coffee is always available. The hosts are very friendly, all details are very well cared, you get a lot of information and even equipment to climb Monte Chirripo. The access by car is very precipitous. Better to bring some supplies because you are far away from anything, the shop in the hotel nearby is very basic, but there is a restaurant.

is very precipitous.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casa Mariposa? Share your experiences!