“Yoga in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goddess Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cahuita
The Goddess Garden
You added The Goddess Garden to your Saves list
Cahuita, Costa Rica   |
London, Canada
“Yoga in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I just (two days ago) returned from a two week stay at the Goddess Garden where I stayed while participating in a yoga teacher training with Marianne Wells. A big shout out to all the Howling Yogis. I'll save my praise for Marianne for later and start with The Goddess Garden. The setting is lush and exotic. You are in the jungle! No need for a alarm clock. The Howler Monkeys will have you up in plenty of time for yoga practice. The rooms are clean, comfortable, airy and large with your choice of single to shared and dorm accommodations. No a/c but a cool shower and a fan was all I needed for a comfortable night's sleep. I also brought baby power to sprinkle in my bed every night to take the dampness out of the sheets. The yoga studio, dinning room, pool area, and lounging areas were clean and comfortable and open to the jungle expanse. Mosquito nets helped to keep the critters out, but I was surprised to find that the mosquitos were not that bad. I brought a whole can of spray back with me. The food was fabulous, mostly vegetarian, and plentiful. We were spoiled everyday with a hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner. I find it hard to believe I came home 5 pounds lighter, but I guess I owe that to Marianne and our intense training. Thank you to Jacqueline, Marcelo and Shontell and their wonderful staff for making my stay at The Goddess Garden so memorable!

Marianne, Ron and their lovely assistant Lydia made for a great team. The training is intensive and the days are long, so be prepared to work hard, to be challenged and for the most incredible experience of your life! Marianne has so much knowledge that I am sure she could easily have gone on for another two weeks. You will work on postures with a focus on alignment and safety, safety, safety. You will be exposed to different branches of yoga and even children's and senior's yoga. You will learn how to use props like a pro and get practical advice on restorative yoga. I'm sure everyone's experience was different, but I know many of the members in my group also experienced a personal spiritual awakening. Not something you can describe in a travellers review, but definitely worth mentioning. Ron and Lydia complement Marianne with sutra studies (around the pool - I mean, where else?), anatomy and a study of the chakras. And there were also a couple of mornings for quiet reflection and a chance to do some journaling or go for a walk on the beach. We had two field trips into town to shop, dine and socialize which gave us a nice break. The friendships I have forged will last a lifetime. I am now a certified yoga instructor with the confidence I need to go forward and teach, but I will never forget my two weeks in Costa Rica.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Michigan Center, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We spent a wonderful time at The Goddess Garden. The experience in the rainforest was so intense with all the amazing animals, flowers and trees...
The food was so delicious and healthy and the rooms so comfortable. When it gets hot the pool and the beach are the right place to go.
There are plenty of excursions to join and the one to the Yorkin tribe is one of the best.
We can recommend the place to anyone who wants to have a real good Yoga experience in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: The dorms are very comfortable
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

What a wonderful jungle setting at The Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica! I visited the place for a Yoga teacher training. Truly the perfect ambience to practice Yoga. The big trees, the flowers and the animals like monkeys, sloths, toucans, butterflies, birds, frogs, etc. make it a very magical setting. The hosts Jacqueline and Marcelo took very well care of our wellbeing and were around all the time. Marianne Wells is a wonderful Yoga instructor with so much wisdom and knowledge. She guided us through the teacher training with patience and love. I can recommend her and The Goddess Garden highly for anyone who wants to get a certification as Yoga teacher.
The amenities are fabulous with a gorgeous pool, restaurant and bar. The yoga space on the second floor is really big with surrounding view of the jungle. The space downstairs to watch movies has A/C. There is a second round Yoga space with a palm leaves roof, very cozy. The food served is awesome made of fresh ingredients every day. The breakfast consists of wonderful fresh fruits, delicious homemade bread and homemade jellies, oatmeal and homemade granola, all fresh and organic. Lunch and dinner offer a grand variety of vegetables and salads. Shontel is a very creative chef and prepares delicious food. The rooms are spacious and colorful. The dorms are really luxury with beautiful in-suite bathrooms. The double rooms have two Queen Beds, mattresses are comfortable for sleeping. Bathrooms are nicely designed. The water is solar heated. The beach is just around the corner, a pristine sandy beach of about 10 miles and no one there – just for you.

Room Tip: There are three types of rooms, dorms and two types of doubles, downstairs rooms are cooler but upst...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Goddess garden is an amazing place. It has so much harmoni. Jacqueline, Marcelo the owners and rest of the staff are so beautyful people. The food is the best I have ever had on a hotel, fresh, new stuff every day at lots of vegi's.
unfortunately I was on a Marianne Wells yoga teacher training, and that was a very the worst experience ever, I was shocked that this kind of trainings can exist. A waist of good earned money. So the only thing keeping me up all day was the peace, harmoni, good food and sweet staff of the Goddess gardens. Thank you Goddess garden

• Stayed March 2013
Jacqueline B, Owner at The Goddess Garden, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words about The Goddess Garden. We work very hard to provide wonderful experiences for our guests, and appreciate your compliments of our facility and services. We apologize that you were not completely satisfied during your stay. You were provided a partial refund from your teacher to compensate for your dissatisfaction.

Unfortunately, we see that you are using this platform to criticize a yoga teacher. We feel this is an improper use of Trip Advisor. Using a public forum, especially one designed for reviews of hotels and services, to damage the reputation of a yoga teacher is wrong. We respectfully ask you to remove this comment from Trip Advisor, and do not accept the way you are handling your criticism. It is like smiling in our faces while throwing a stone at a person behind us.

We hope you that you understand. Please remember that the best way for an impasse is through dialogue- since We Are One.

Namaste

Marcelo and Jacqueline - The Goddess Garden
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Goddess Garden in an all-inclusive hotel/retreat center that caters mostly to yoga and retreat groups, though individual nights can be booked. Owners (Marcelo & Jacqueline) also own Hotel La Diosa just down the road closer to Cahuita. Location is isolated, so do not expect easy trips into Cahuita (nearest town) or Puerto Viejo (30 minutes by car). Bring everything you need with you. Not on beach, but a short 5 minute walk down the road. Lovely pool and jungle grounds. Rooms are comfortable but not luxurious. Doubles are 2 queen beds & the dorms are bunk beds, all well-designed for sharing. Water is drinkable. Plenty of hot water, though water pressure can be an issue in some rooms. In-room safes provided. Free internet is strong in most rooms when it is up, but had a tendency to go down. Location in the jungle is very humid & buggy, though they keep the buildings well-sprayed. No A/C anywhere on the property, but fans provided in rooms. Bring a hair dryer, otherwise your hair will never dry. Don’t plan to do laundry as items take 3 days to dry even during dry season; but a laundry service is available which will dry your things in a dryer if needed.

Food is AWESOME! Kiwi chef Chantal prepares fabulous vegetarian fare (we had fish twice during the 2 weeks we were there) and meals always include fresh juices. Vegan & gluten free were cheerfully accommodated. Alcohol & soft drinks are also available at a reasonable cost ($4 for a large glass of Chilean red). Yoga facilities (conference center and palapa) were peaceful, lovely and well-stocked with props, though the photos on the website don’t show the mosquito netting which is an absolute necessity. Upstairs conference center has a treehouse feel and sometimes during practice the calls of the howler monkeys would echo through the room. Spa is a lovely space and John comes out from Puerto Viejo to give expert Ayurvedic massages. John was universally given 5 stars by all and worth every penny – he can also be booked through Hotel Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo. You will not forget the experience. In summary, excellent setup for yoga and other retreat groups as you will leave your other world behind. Marcelo & Jacqueline & the staff (especially the kitchen crew) work very hard to accommodate all requests and make your retreat experience a memorable one.

Room Tip: Rooms are assigned - doubles have 2 queen beds & dorm-style are bunk beds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Goddess Garden? Share your experiences!