“Can't get more romantic” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Costa Rican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 3 minutes walk beyond El Canto B&B. I saw no street signs.
Aachen
“Can't get more romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

One of the best restaurants I've been to during 2 months of traveling all of Costa Rica. If you're lucky (or don't go there during peak times), you might catch a table outside. We had candlelight dinner right at the beach... so romantic that I forgot what I had - but I liked it ;-)

Visited February 2013

• Czech first
Vienna, Wien, Austria
“pure romance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

if you are looking for the perfect restaurant for a romantic evening in cahuita, this is it!! we had such a wonderful evening there, and apart from the lovely food it is the amazing atmosphere... oceanside, candlelights, and then waiter javier, who makes you feel simply good in a very natural and cordial way. go for it! :-)

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ramat Gan, Israel
“good sea food , bad dessert :)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We ate one night at sabor las olas
we shared a seabass with butter and coconut cream sauce the dish came with rice, salad and nice steamed green vegetables.
the restaurant presents itself as a fancy one and a little pricey
but there were ants on the table and ketchup and plain paper napkins on the tables
i think that the tables should be clean and fancy to match the price .
the waitress recommended the tiramissu for dessert and since we heard the owners were italian we went for it
the tiramissu was disappointing it was half frozen and not creamy like it was supposed to be.
it was an OK dessert ( sweet :)) but definitely not a good tiramissu
in the end when we wanted to pay knowing we are strapped for cash (atm was out of order) and we asked in the morning and knew the restaurant accepted credit
the waiter came to us and said that if we pay by credit he will add an extra fee and
it seemed like we were being pushed to keep the card in our wallet and forced to pay cash .

all in all the fish and food was very good
the service was excellent
the dessert wasn't good
i don't think the price is justified to be pricier then the rest of the small restaurants in town,

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pasadena, California
“Great food -- Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I were staying nearby and our hosts recommended this place for good seafood. We tried it for lunch on our last day in Cahuita and we were very happy with our meals. The ceviche was different then what I am use to in Southern California but it was delicious. We were pleasantly surprised. I would recommend it. I had the shrimp and rice plate and my boyfriend had the fish of the day. We were very happy with our meals. The view was amazing! A little on the pricier side for the area. We paid about $60 for the meal which included two beers and two pineapple juices. A little pricey for the area but I don't regret it at all.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York, NY
“Good food, amazing atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I chose Sobra Las Olas for our last dinner in Cahuita. We shared the bruschetta; I ordered the fresh lobster and he had the spicy shrimp pasta. The food was very good and quite fresh. His pasta portion and my veggie and rice sides were quite large. The presentation was also very nice, although altogether I'm not sure if the food itself merited the marked increase in price compared to the rest of the town. We found the service a bit spotty - we had to go hunting for the waiter to get our check - but this seems to be quite normal in Cahuita and everyone we spoke to was friendly and pleasant. I made a reservation, but they didn't check it, and in the end, it may have not been necessary as the restaurant was pretty empty.

During a busier time, though, I'd highly recommend trying to reserve a table outside. For certain, our meal would not have been nearly as good if we had been seated indoors. Eating by candlelight and watching the waves in the moonlight was really romantic. By contrast, the inside of the restaurant was way too brightly lit, almost like a fast food spot. There were only 6 tables outside that I could see, and maybe 3 times that many tables indoors.

It was definitely one of our better Cahuita dining experiences, and worth checking out. Just be prepared to pay quite a bit more for the atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013