“Well worth visiting. Good people doing something admirable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aviarios del Caribe Sloth Sanctuary

Aviarios del Caribe Sloth Sanctuary
| 35 Kilometers south of Limon and 10 Km from Cahuita National Park, Cahuita, Costa Rica
011-506)750-0775
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tucson, Arizona
“Well worth visiting. Good people doing something admirable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My family went to visit the Sloth Sanctuary a few days ago during a visit to Costa Rica. We thoroughly enjoyed our 2-1/2 hours. The river tour was nice but the highlight was visiting with the sloths and learning about them. We had seen sloths earlier in the day at both Cahuita National Park and Puerto Viejo but the only chance we had to get very close to them and learn about them (and pet them) was at the Sloth Sanctuary. The guides gave a very interesting talk and tour which kept our whole group (ages 9 through 50) engaged and interested. We feel that during the 2-1/2 hours we were there we saw every aspect of their operation and were very pleased. It was a treat to get close to animals who we otherwise would have seen only from the ground looking up. The sloths seem to be treated very well. My wife and I are both scientists (she with a PhD in biology) with experience in animal care and a lot of travel. We liked the Sloth Sanctuary. Our kids are just nice kids with a general interests in animals. It was nice that the visit was able to interest all of us equally.

Victoria, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Neat to see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was really, really excited to go to this sanctuary. After I booked a tour I saw "Meet the sloths" on TV by chance, and realized that it was the same place I was going to be going to! It was really great to see and learn about the sloths. They have beautiful grounds, and the canoe ride was cool. There were lots of monkeys, birds and wild sloths around the area.

Its sad that some sloths cant be released into the wild, but understandable with them getting there so young. I was a little surprised that they dont have a more natural enclosure for them.

Also, they still have a volunteer program there. I met several of them while I was waiting for my tour. I never saw any of the sloths eating dog food, just carrots, sweet potatoes, beans and leaves...oh and hibiscus flowers!

I was there for about 4 hours. There are trails you can walk around on your own if you want.

Scarborough, Australia
“Awful place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have been travelling central america for 2 months nicuragua and costa rica and i have visited numerous sanctuarys this is the worst! They stopped the volunteer programme and the reason is that the volunteers came out saying they were feeding them dog food, this volunteer group included a vet who was outraged by the conditions!!! its a money making industry at the restaurant they have a show sloth in a basket with about 5 old leaves to eat! it is home to 160 sloths! sloths are solitary animals and they have 4 sloths in a cage ! and about 50 cages side by side! with nothing to do and they cant just sleep 24/7!! with no leaves no trees just a couple of bamboo sticks!!! i jumped the fence to see it because of course its not on the tour! they have a few paralysed sloths that are in small cages! there is the biggest building for education ... and in the education building are the adult sloths its a very hot room and they will live there the rest of the life. instead of having trees they have painted trees. I have spoken to a local guy who rescues sloths and it is not true they have to move trees every 2-3 days sometimes more. It is good the the sloths they release which is about 4 a year but all the sloths that have to live out their life in small cages! we were meant to stay 2 days but i couldn't even stay there it was so bad. i dont suggest supporting this organisation rather go to jaguar rescue center which is amazing and have a great programe for sloths! I hope if you do go to listen carefully and dont just lapp in what they want you to !

Montreal, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Cute overload”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Recently visited and did the Buttercup tour - staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We really enjoyed our time meeting the sloths and learning about them. We also enjoyed the little canoe trip through the lagoon where we were able to truly appreciate the vast grounds and wildlife surrounding the sanctuary as well.

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Sloth Sanctuary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Recently visited the Sloth Sanctuary and had a great time learning all about these unique animals rescued from the wild with the view to reintegrating them into their natural habitats, wherever possible. We took a relaxed trip down the river beforehand with a local guide who pointed out various bird and plant life for us but the stars of the show are definitely the sloths: all with different histories and personalities, housed in the main viewing area and the nursery. Our guide was very knowledgeable and it was amazing to be so close to these endearing creatures, large and small. The nursery was a delight and the care and passion shown by the guides working there are a powerful endorsement of the work being done. Don't forget to visit Buttercup, the Sanctuary's alpha female, as she lounges in her wicker chair and obligingly poses for photos! There's also a small shop and cafe on site. A great attraction for all the family to enjoy.

Visited January 2014